Do you take your own equipment?

jvevil

Hello. Planning our first cruise. Do most divers take their own equipment? We usually vacation at all inclusives and only take our masks/snorkels. We always use the resorts equipment. I was looking at some of the scuba excursions and it seems like they only charge a few more bucks to use their equipment.

Thanks.

I usually take my own but it depends on how many ports I'll be diving at. If I'm diving at two or more I take my own but if it's only one I don't. It doesn't seem to be worth it for just one stop. However, you never know what equipment you'll get and I've had good and bad experiences.

I bring everything because I know that it is in proper working order and well-maintained. It gives me a few less things to worry about while diving....

I agree. I also know my gear fits and how it functions.It is a pain dragging it on off the ship but it is worth the trouble for me.

No matter what,I like to have my regs,diverite bc and mask,they take up very little room.If space allows,I'll bring more of my own gear but the three pieces have a direct impact on my life so I don't trust anyone else with that.

I take my own equipment. On my last cruise I found carrying it in a mesh dive bag was too difficult due to the weight, so now I have a wheeled bag. I'll bring my mesh bag along in case I need to swap to it on a boat. I figure I can always store the wheeled bag at the shop and pick it up after the dives.

We bring our own. It is a pain to lug it, but I know my reg is In top condition and my BCD rocks! We use North Face "Base Camp" bags in large and they have backpack straps that make going ship to boat as easy as possible. It holds my fins, boots, bcd, reg bag, hood, mask, wetsuit and I still have room for a towel. I don't bring weights or a tank. The bag does well with the wet equiptment (it is rubber like) for return to the ship.

Take it from me. You do not want to use their equipment. I worked for a summer in a dive shop located in st maarten. We occasionally did service on the equipment if we noticed something. The regs and guages were thrown around. I always used my own equipment and did my own servicing. We had many cruisers use our shop since we were about 1/2 the price of what cruise ships were charging.

I remember one dive where we had a divers bc inflator fail of him. He was a big guy. Thankfully I had my nice diverite bc with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. We've decided not to take any equipment besides our masks/snorkels and computers of course. We are VERY VERY light packers and can't see us lugging our dive equipment around for only a few dives. If it was a week long dive trip, tec dive or liveaboard then there would be no question about it. We've used alot of rented equipment and never have had an issue. Thanks again for all the replies.

I take my own because:

1) I know my mask and fins fit me.

2) My snorkel has a purge valve and anti-splash. Rental and excursion issue don't.

3) Even though rental/excursion issue is "sanitized", I know my snorkel has not been is someone else's mouth.

Archived