Budget London Lodging

Try londontown.com and londontoolkit.com. Both websites list lots of lower priced B&B's, many with shared baths. There are a lot of these close to Victoria Station. You can also try venere.com. Good luck!

I am looking for budget lodging in a good location. Cost is the priority and shared bath is fine.

I need a twin room. Ease of public transportation is a must. :)

Post any of your budget finds in London!! :)

Hi, we are 3 people and going during a busy time so we are staying at Luna and Simone for about $250 but walking a little 10 - 15 minutes to an underground since we need accomodations for 3. We have never been to London but have spent 3 days trying every discount code we know. Trip Advisor rates this highly and we cross checked with at least 5 other sites so hoping we got it right...

We would have gone to Hilton London Metropole or Novotel London West due to using the underground across the street but didn't want to pay for 2 rooms. Our daughter is 20 years old and looking for 2 double beds in a room seems to be hard to find.

Another problem is when you find availibility and the "right" rate some of the hotels haven't included the 17.5 % VAT tax or the 30 -50 pound for the "extra" person. Since you are oly looking for 2 people you should have better options. Good Luck!

Hi, we are 3 people and going during a busy time so we are staying at Luna and Simone for about $250 but walking a little 10 - 15 minutes to an underground since we need accomodations for 3. We have never been to London but have spent 3 days trying every discount code we know. Trip Advisor rates this highly and we cross checked with at least 5 other sites so hoping we got it right...

We would have gone to Hilton London Metropole or Novotel London West due to using the underground across the street but didn't want to pay for 2 rooms. Our daughter is 20 years old and looking for 2 double beds in a room seems to be hard to find.

Another problem is when you find availibility and the "right" rate some of the hotels haven't included the 17.5 % VAT tax or the 30 -50 pound for the "extra" person. Since you are oly looking for 2 people you should have better options. Good Luck!

We stayed at the Luna and Simone last April and I can highly recommend it. Very, very, very clean. Great staff, internet, hot breakfast, just no a/c. We got our room for 80GBP per night, including taxes and fees.

It's a short walk to the Victoria Tube station, and also National and Bigbus coach stations.

I researched EXTENSIVELY to keep our costs down last April/May, because we had 2 nights in London before the cruise, and 5 nights after. It could have been a financial black hole! However, it turned out quite reasonable for us. We got great hotels for low prices, rented a car, and found good places to eat.

Victoria Station is adjacent to a shopping mall, and between the station and the mall, there are several great places to eat. Not fast food, either.

Hi Budget Queen,

When I was looking we considered the Winchester Hotel on Belgravia (near Victoria Station) - great reviews on trip advisor, good price, and full breakfast included. It sounds like a small establishment, but looked good. We ended up booking a Premier Inn (chain) because we need an elevator.

Dot

PS Thanks for all your Alaska tips! we had a fabulous cruise last August and the whale watching with FISHES was spectacular!!

For what it's worth, we just went through a list of about 20 what we

considered budget hotels. We were looking for a refrigerator for medicine

and breakfast included in a central location. We finally settled on the

Royal Court Apartments with a kitchenette where we can do our own

brekky thing. Others that we considered were the Arriva (mixed revirews),

the Garden View, Derby House, Shaftesbury Premier Hyde Park, the Normandie

and Luna and Simone.

Watch for - breakfast surcharge sometimes hidden in the hotel description,

elevator (lift) and noise. Expedia and TripAdvisor reviews were very helpful.

In 2006, we stayed at the Best Western Corona near Victoria station -

no fridge, no a/c but we were with friends who always use Best Western.

It was fine and a good location but the price this year has gone up

drastically.

We will know in May if we made a good choice

Thanks for all the helpful replys. :) My ideal budget is less than $150US, I know- low. :) I am only looking for a bed in a good location.

I have heard of using Priceline, and will research this further, but I definately need 2 beds, I'm traveling with my adult son. :) Not sure if single bed rooms are the likely norm??

At present I have a reservation at the Alhambra Hotel at a rate of 55 pounds- so the bargain I am looking for. :) Anyone know anything about this budget hotel. Tripadvisor gives good reviews.

Also try Travelodge's UK site. They offer some early booking for 19 and 29 pounds, we were able to get 2 out of 3 nights in London at this price. Our 3 night stay worked out to less than $300 total and we'll be in a brand new hotel. Based on what we've heard, it seems like we've done fairly well.

Also, don't be afraid of Priceline - just really research first. Go to biddingfortravel and check out what others have won, learn the areas and go for it!!!

Thanks for all the helpful replys. :) My ideal budget is less than $150US, I know- low. :) I am only looking for a bed in a good location.

I have heard of using Priceline, and will research this further, but I definately need 2 beds, I'm traveling with my adult son. :) Not sure if single bed rooms are the likely norm??

At present I have a reservation at the Alhambra Hotel at a rate of 55 pounds- so the bargain I am looking for. :) Anyone know anything about this budget hotel. Tripadvisor gives good reviews.

Budget hotel in London i.e. basic but clean with no frills means about 55-70 GBP (less than $140) for an ensuite twin with breakfast.

The best combination of price and quality are those opposite St Pancras and Kings Cross Stations. The Alhumbra is one of these, and is fine.

It carries a small premium of equivalent peers in the same street in that it gots itself recommended in a lot of guide books like Lonely Planet.

Crestfield, Wardonia and Montana Excel are not dissimilar and slightly cheaper. Some of these have shared bathroom rooms which you should get for less than $100.

The best bargain in London are the saver rates at Travelodge. You'll get a room not dissimilar to a 3 star hotel here but without the frillls of room service. lounges and a la carte restuarants etc for for anything from $30-$100.

Clearly these rates go fast, they become available 12 months ahead of your stay and only on the Travelodge UK web site and there is a good choice of locations.

I need 2 rooms in London for 3-4 nites, (one is for 3 people). As we will be tourists, I'd like to be centrally located to the sites and transportation (tube). We don't want to spend the $$$ for a fancy 5*, but I need CLEAN attractive, well maintained, property with a friendly,helpful staff. Would the London Premier chain or Travel lodge be fine for us??

lhall, are you staying at the new, (opening in May) Travel Lodge Southwark?

It's on Union st. would that be a good location??

Is it possible to use the same station to get to Heathrow and to the Eurostar/Paris. Could someone tell me what area this would be in? Could you suggest a Premier or the Travel Lodge hotel that would be convenient to this station. Or is there one that is especially nice??

While all of you are being so helpful.....Could you give me some advice for Paris? We are thinking of a Citadine or a Novotel? Any suggestions??

Thank You -Tamara

Hi! One thing I just wanted to point out, in the event you are not aware of it (as I was not at first). Many of the Premier Inns and, I believe, Travelodges are not air conditioned. Depending on when you are visiting, this may not be a factor for you. As we will be in London in mid-August, it was a concern of mine.

My solution was to book at the new (just opened this month) Park Plaza County Hall. We have a single room for our family of four, with a kitchenette, for 130 GBP per night (weekend). Others (couples) on our cruise were able to get the same hotel for the same period for 95 GBP. Since the Premier Inn County Hall (no a/c) was 145 GBP for the same nights, I am pleased with our quad rate at the Park Plaza.

This may not be the solution you are looking for, but I thought it worth mentioning. Happy planning!

I need 2 rooms in London for 3-4 nites, (one is for 3 people). As we will be tourists, I'd like to be centrally located to the sites and transportation (tube). We don't want to spend the $$$ for a fancy 5*, but I need CLEAN attractive, well maintained, property with a friendly,helpful staff. Would the London Premier chain or Travel lodge be fine for us??

lhall, are you staying at the new, (opening in May) Travel Lodge Southwark?

It's on Union st. would that be a good location??

Is it possible to use the same station to get to Heathrow and to the Eurostar/Paris. Could someone tell me what area this would be in? Could you suggest a Premier or the Travel Lodge hotel that would be convenient to this station. Or is there one that is especially nice??

While all of you are being so helpful.....Could you give me some advice for Paris? We are thinking of a Citadine or a Novotel? Any suggestions??

Thank You -Tamara

Yes, we are at the Travelodge Southwark. I don't know the first thing about the area, we are newbies!:o I was told that it was a good location and hope so. We will also be going from there to get on the Eurostar and also from there to Dover. Right now all the places are Greek to me so when we get closer I hope to get more specifics of what to do!!

My TA brought to my attention there are Citadines in London too. I am going to go with either the Kennsington or the Trafalger location.In Paris we are trying to decide between the Saint Germain or the Louvre locations in Paris. Can anyone tell me if on is more desirable than the other?

Thanks Again -Tamara

I am looking for budget lodging in a good location. Cost is the priority and shared bath is fine.

Hey Budget Queen, I remember you from the Alaska thread! Welcome.

We are staying at the Cherry Court Hotel (a small B&B) recommended to me by two friends who have stayed there on separate occasions. It is on Hugh Street, along with a lot of other smaller B&B's in the Victoria Station area. It is clean and comfortable from what I have been told. No breakfast, but fruit and coffee in your room; 55 pds/night. I booked through their website.

last year we stayed in the newly converted hotel at Victoria belonging to easyhotel.com (also owns easy jet company). they have 3 hotels in london victoria, kensington and earls court - now these are real budget hotels but for from 25 GBP a night it was a deal - room and ensuite bathroom spotlessly clean, bed linen professionally cleaned but ok it was extra for a remote control for the tv! we also got a deal one night for 19 GBP at a travelodge but these are offered hit and miss - with easy jet the earlier you book the cheaper it is - beware book late and it will cost more so not worth it. victoria hotel about 5 mins walk from coach/bus station - turn right out of the hotel then left at the next cross roads and you will find a branch of tesco's (cheap supermarket considering londons usual prices)

Yes, we are at the Travelodge Southwark. I don't know the first thing about the area, we are newbies!:o I was told that it was a good location and hope so. We will also be going from there to get on the Eurostar and also from there to Dover. Right now all the places are Greek to me so when we get closer I hope to get more specifics of what to do!!

I used to work just around the corner from where the Travelodge is going. The area is not too bad and is really handy for Southwark tube station wehre you can get straight up to Bond Street Station on Oxford Street. You are quite close to the old vic if you wanted to go to the theatre. There is a local restaurant group called Tas if you like turkish food. If you are going to St Pancreas to catch the Eurostar, I would walk to Blackfiars railway/tube station and take the Thames link to kings cross.

We had some particular needs that drove the price up a bit (own bathroom, elevator, no steps at entrance, close to tube station w/elevator) but after looking around throught (for London) the Euston Hotel Ibis was OK for £74on Sat & Sun nights (£90 Monday because they mostly deal with business travelers). The rooms are smaller than a cruise ship stateroom but do have own bathroom. Not budget really but the best we could do under the circumstances.

We booked the new Park Plaza, County Hall, for July and got 95GBP per night. It's a superior suite in a great location. We booked it directly with the hotel. Good luck!!!

Budget Queen,

Where is the Alhambra Hotel located? We might want to book it for a night.

browneyes7:)

Does that rate include VAT?

Yes, it includes VAT, but not breakfast. We booked this long before the hotel opened so maybe they were just offering a low rate before things started to heat up.

did you try Jury's Inn Heathrow? I was also looking for a hotel room for 3 people and didn't want to get 2 rooms. I was able to book a room for 87 GBP for the middle of July. The hotel is serviced by the Hotel Hoppa bus, or by the free local bus. Also, the hotel is located directly across the street (from what I've heard) to the Hatton Cross tube station that takes you directly into Picadilly Circus in central London

Archived