EUROPA 2 - the most luxurious cruise ship

CretaMed88

• 8 months later...

This collection of port side and aft high resolution photos may help you in cabin selection. And also if you were on the Europa 2 on June 20 2014, you may find yourself on the balcony on the sail way from Copenhagen. Also note that the promenade deck is the second highest from the top.

To see the photo in full resolution first click on the picture and then choose the size icon in the lower left corner.

Carsten Thomsen

She really is a beautiful ship and blows away the US luxury lines.

I find the inflexibility of Hapag-Lloyd with regard to time of embarkation somewhat annoying.

For a ship of the size of the Europa 2, even with a complete turn around of passengers, a 16.00 embarkation time is surprisingly late.

The cruise I am joining, at Southampton, departs Hamburg on the 23rd of this month.

On the 25th it docks at Southampton at 07.00 where it will remain until 19.00.

Hapag-Lloyd is adamant that no-one will be allowed to embark before 16.00.

I was reading about their shore trips. They have some just for kids. That along with the rubber boats would give my grandkids lots of fun. Are the trips very expensive?

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I was reading about their shore trips. They have some just for kids. That along with the rubber boats would give my grandkids lots of fun. Are the trips very expensive?

I read in reviews that shore excursions have "regular" prices. But if you are able to pay $1500 a night, the shore excursions shouldn't be a problem ;)

It really is not about the money but rather the principal. I can see where 1500 comes from. However to pay 3x what other lines charge for the same bus ride, as Oceania does, seems wrong.

the prices on hapag for excursions are not outrageous at all and very well organised - only did Europe so far with Hapag.

of course the rate of the $ versus the € is dancing up and down the last weeks ...

i must describe the prices of drinks and wines as very reasonable :)

unfortunately the american wines are not so cheap ...

for sure not the "usury" as on O

the prices on hapag for excursions are not outrageous at all and very well organised - only did Europe so far with Hapag.

of course the rate of the $ versus the € is dancing up and down the last weeks ...

i must describe the prices of drinks and wines as very reasonable :)

unfortunately the american wines are not so cheap ...

for sure not the "usury" as on O

Fortunately the British Pound has increased in value against both the Euro, and the US Dollar.

Drinking alcohol will be even more pleasurable.

• 2 weeks later...

I have written a review which is currently being processed.

Despite embarkation at Southampton being a poor experience, sound proofing between Staterooms being surprisingly poor for a new build ship, and being charged for water at mealtimes hardly commensurate with a luxury Cruise Line, the overall experience of cruising on the Europa 2 was superb, and I would not hesitate to book another cruise on what is a wonderful ship with marvellous staff.

Very happy to hear you had a great trip and the ship was great. I know about the water, does sound crazy. Guess it a German thing. I look forward to your review and my two weeks in December.

very looking forward to the review as well

i told several times - even to executives - that 4 PM for embarkation is rather late : it seems Hapag wants to offer the ship clean "in full " not so as on other lines only parts of the ship are available

the mineral water is another story - i am aware

well i prefer to pay for it when i do receive a winelist aside with affordable prices instead of getting free water and a wine list with outrageous prices

you also get gerolsteiner pellegrino or perrier while on some other lines you get "something"

even on other 5 star ships sometimes i had to insist to receive bottled water instead of "ice water" with chlorine taste.

on the other side the breakfast buffet on both Europa 2 as on ms Europe are the very best afloat...

and the evening buffet in yacht club is simply a feast:)

I think their way is good as on Oceania all water soda is included and then you pay 3x price for what is not included. On Crystal all is included however you are paying for all weather you drink or not. On Regent you are paying for all trips weather you go or not. Better to pay as you go and pay a fair price. For my luxury does not mean all inclusive.

With regard to charging for mineral water at mealtimes, my point is that if it is provided free ' in suite' why not in the restaurants.

I have to agree that in general the wines are reasonably priced.

(None of the Cunard philosophy of rip off prices to which is added an automatic 15% service charge.)

As for the buffets in The Yacht Club, the quality and selection was truly impressive.

And then there was the 'Caviar Night'--- no 'portion control' with that either!

Edited by English Voyager

The Yacht Club sounds like just what we love

To have dinner on deck watching the ship leave port or the sun go down is great. Just came back from Crystal. They have nothing like it on one ship and the other just by reservation. Really took away from the trip, in fact I will not go again. Who wants to plan each night in advance

well , i moved from Crystal to Hapag as a result too many items changed and were sacrificed for the "all inclusive" - even the mineral waters:D

occasionally i still do cruises on SS , SB and Crystal , however no more Oceania - simply for the scandalous high prices of the wines

be aware for the Yachtclub : i want to inform that the wine list seems restricted however it is possible to order from the full wine list as well. no problem only it will take a little longer ...

i find it pleasant to try German wines for lunch , available by the glass or carafe - as the better German wines are not widely available in Belgium

recently the French restaurant was open for lunch but Weltmeere is only open for breakfast ( superb!!) and dinner.

i cannot wait to go back on the "2"