Whale watching in Maui etc

dickinson

We will be in Lahaina in February on a Princess cruise. It is a tender port. We would like to do a whale watching trip and then take a drive to Iao Valley. Is this doable with a rental car? times are 7 am til 6 pm although tendering will take time. What whale watching companies are recommended? The few I see you have to pay upfront and there is a 48 hour cancellation notice. Is there parking?

Thanks for any help.

I'd suggest the Pacific Whale Foundation for available whale watching tours. Most water activities here are less expensive in the afternoon when the tradewinds increase resulting in rougher water conditions.

I've tendered into Lahaina & would suggest to not plan a whale watching trip too early. The earliest anyone would get on shore would probably be 8:00 & those would be passengers with priority tender access (Princess tours & Elite level Captain's Circle members). Renting the car will take awhile so I'd think that you could safely make a 10:00 tour. I don't know if PWF is in Ma'alaea which is about 15 minutes from Lahaina.

If you can get a morning whale watching tour then you should have enough time to visit I'ao Valley. It's about a 45 minute drive between I'ao & Lahaina without any traffic.

I seem to recall posts saying that some boat tours (whale or snorkeling) pick up at Lahaina harbor & that Princess tours pick up from the ship.

Thanks. The Pacific Whale watching co has a cancellation policy where you lose your money if you don't cancel w/in I think 48 hours. It is a tender port so I wouldn't know 48 hours in advance. Maybe they make exceptions ?