St. Peter Guernsey

palermo22

Is this an easy DIY port or one that we should book as an excursion with our cruise company?

It really depends upon what you would like to see. You can visit Castle Cornet, Victor Hugo's house and the Tapestry yourself quite easily and are all walking distance from where the tenders dock as well as the picturesque town itself. You can also use the bus that takes a round the island route, which will give you a view of the coastline of the island. As these buses are very busy, if you disembark to view a particular place, when you try to embark the next bus it could be full. If you wish to see a place that is not on a bus route, then you should take an excursion (could be ship or private tour), which will also provide you with local knowledge and input.

I hope this helps a little. I also recommend viewing the visitguernsey website.

• 5 months later...
It really depends upon what you would like to see. You can visit Castle Cornet, Victor Hugo's house and the Tapestry yourself quite easily and are all walking distance from where the tenders dock as well as the picturesque town itself. You can also use the bus that takes a round the island route, which will give you a view of the coastline of the island. As these buses are very busy, if you disembark to view a particular place, when you try to embark the next bus it could be full. If you wish to see a place that is not on a bus route, then you should take an excursion (could be ship or private tour), which will also provide you with local knowledge and input.

I hope this helps a little. I also recommend viewing the visitguernsey website.

I'm gratefully noting all this fantastic info and links. Just wondering where the tenders land? Is it near the Albert pier?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is also a guided walking tour every day in peak system (certain days, twice a day).

It is 8 euros pp - very reasonable.

Also on the visitguernsey website.

Under guided tours, I believe.

• 1 month later...

We took a walking tour with Annette Henry, a Guernsey native. She had lots of stories to tell. The cost was £17. You can google her and make a reservation.

If you just want to walk around, the town is right there. Beautiful flower hanging baskets everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums