Snorkeling around Kona, has anyone gone since storm Iselle

djwho

We have property and many good friends in Kona and have been in touch since the storms. The Kona side had absolutely no damage, very little rain, and surf not as high as many minor squalls. Snorkeling should be fine, especially in places like Kahalu'u, which is somewhat protected by a breakwater. Places on the Hilo side are another story, as they had heavy rain and wind, even though it wasn't hurricane strength.

I don't know about current conditions on Kauai but I would never snorkel anytime after a storm until the brown water turned clear again. Last August a young German tourist snorkeling in Maui after a storm in poor visibility died from a shark bite. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks for the input. The tour operator out of Kona mentioned they are still doing their snorkelling trips since iselle left. I'm waiting for input from the hotel as I was planning on being their Aug 30th.

Thanks for the input. The tour operator out of Kona mentioned they are still doing their snorkelling trips since iselle left. I'm waiting for input from the hotel as I was planning on being their Aug 30th.

My apology for mistakenly saying Kauai instead of Kona. :o That'll teach me not to post while doing other things. ;)

Once I scuba dived a week in Kona & without many sandy beaches visibility was excellent with short boat rides. The last I checked Kona only got 0.04" of rain so probably not much runoff to cloud the visibility.

Edited by Astro Flyer

My apology for mistakenly saying Kauai instead of Kona. :o That'll teach me not to post while doing other things. ;)

Once I scuba dived a week in Kona & without many sandy beaches visibility was excellent with short boat rides. The last I checked Kona only got 0.04" of rain so probably not much runoff to cloud the visibility.

Good advise either way. I'm completely new to snorkelling and have never been to Hawaii.

Good advise either way. I'm completely new to snorkelling and have never been to Hawaii.

My suggestion is to respect the conditions & nothing is worth risking safety. I'm sure that like me you'll have a great experience in Hawaii. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say we snorkeled this past week at Kona with Fair Winds at the Captain Cook Monument and the water clarity was excellent. No rough seas going to or from. We are still here in Hawaii, and last night on the local news they ran a story about the number of snorkeling deaths in Hawaii each year. I would never venture into the water unless on a tour or a guarded beach. Too many people get into trouble with currents and water conditions.