Google Map of Suggested Trip around the island of Oahu

We Go Cruise Brah

Aloha all,

Since I see many people asking whats the best way to drive around the island of Oahu, I made a quick Google Map of one possible route you may take. I placed markers at scenic sites and freeway changes. I've lived in Oahu for 15 years and this is the way I take anyone who comes to visit me around the island. It starts and ends in Waikiki and skips the west side of the island where there isnt much to see besides Ko'olina and the Disney Resort.

If you have questions as to where the famous places to stop are along this route, then I can add them in if people are interested, like the shrimp truck, shave ice places, best beaches, etc.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zTrYtiSGb6ms.k9fRp8OE-ZbE

Aloha all,

Since I see many people asking whats the best way to drive around the island of Oahu, I made a quick Google Map of one possible route you may take. I placed markers at scenic sites and freeway changes. I've lived in Oahu for 15 years and this is the way I take anyone who comes to visit me around the island. It starts and ends in Waikiki and skips the west side of the island where there isnt much to see besides Ko'olina and the Disney Resort.

If you have questions as to where the famous places to stop are along this route, then I can add them in if people are interested, like the shrimp truck, shave ice places, best beaches, etc.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zTrYtiSGb6ms.k9fRp8OE-ZbE

YES! & Thank You.

Love your map.

We drove around last year and missed a lot as we did not know where some of the spots were. This year we will certainly stop to see the giant turtles. If you can, please provide data relating to the points you have placed on the map.

Thanks

YES! & Thank You.

Love your map.

We drove around last year and missed a lot as we did not know where some of the spots were. This year we will certainly stop to see the giant turtles. If you can, please provide data relating to the points you have placed on the map.

Thanks

Great! I'm updating it with more points and more details. I made an extended note for Turtle beach.

Edited by We Go Cruise Brah

The only thing better is if you would sit in the back seat of our car!

Thanks.

A question. Last October we drove around and somewhere in the north end there was a detour on one of the highways because a bridge was under repair. Any idea where that was & if it's been repaired by now?

We really got turned around and confused there.

The only thing better is if you would sit in the back seat of our car!

Thanks.

A question. Last October we drove around and somewhere in the north end there was a detour on one of the highways because a bridge was under repair. Any idea where that was & if it's been repaired by now?

We really got turned around and confused there.

Sorry! I couldnt tell you which bridge that was, it could have been the one near Haleiwa Town because they were doing repairs at some point, but I dont know the status of it at the moment.

Yes Spurt, you can make the trip in one day if you start in the morning. You can also do the half day trip coming back into Waikiki after the Pali Lookout if you're short on time. If you have a full day you can easily hit all the spots and spend some time at each one. As a reference, if you were to drive the whole thing without stopping it would probably take you 2-3 hours.

I posted this on my Roll Call and decided that this would be of interest to the people following this thread:

This was in the local newspaper tonight.

http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/emergency-bridge-work-to-affect-scenic-byway/-/8905354/22325282/-/15m594nz/-/index.html

This will impact anyone going around the island between Hanauma Bay and Sandy Beach. Road work will restrict lanes and that means slowing traffic. Work is expected at least to the end of the year.

Sights along the way: the Blow Hole, Makapu'u Lighthouse, Sandy Beach Tide Pools, etc. Beautiful scenery and it will be a shame to miss but you can get around it by going up and over the Pali.

I posted this on my Roll Call and decided that this would be of interest to the people following this thread:

This was in the local newspaper tonight.

http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/emergency-bridge-work-to-affect-scenic-byway/-/8905354/22325282/-/15m594nz/-/index.html

This will impact anyone going around the island between Hanauma Bay and Sandy Beach. Road work will restrict lanes and that means slowing traffic. Work is expected at least to the end of the year.

Sights along the way: the Blow Hole, Makapu'u Lighthouse, Sandy Beach Tide Pools, etc. Beautiful scenery and it will be a shame to miss but you can get around it by going up and over the Pali.

Ahh thats too bad, yes this will impact some of the sights, but you dont have to go through Pali to bypass this, you can just cut inland through the valley by Koko Marina and come out by Sandy's.

Ahh thats too bad, yes this will impact some of the sights, but you dont have to go through Pali to bypass this, you can just cut inland through the valley by Koko Marina and come out by Sandy's.

Thanks for remembering the detour. Turn left after Koko Marina (Walgreens). I almost always do it coming back. Almost always forget going to Waimanalo. But you will still miss these great spots.

This is probably a dumb question but is there a way to print your map and the details you've listed for each point of interest? I'd love to take this with me in January.

You know I'm not sure if there's a decent way to print these out. I cant find any obvious way. Of course if you have a smartphone you can always pull it up through Google maps?

Latest article about the road closer near the Blow Hole (some old habits die hard). Just for your information. A few years ago, Hawaii adopted the Hawaiian Language as one of the legal languages of the state. So all of the street signs were re-done to include correct spellings and notations. Most of the tourist attractions now have Hawaiian names. I still call it the "Blow Hole".

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20131008_Kalanianaole_Highway_from_gun_range_to_Halona_closed_for_bridge_repair.html?id=226954611

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...