Electrical power points

Jasjas

Can anybody let me know whether the electrical power points in Canada are the same as those in USA ...I cannot seem to find adaptors for Canada.

And those ons the Norwegian Cruise Line Ships ??

We will be cruising Alaska on Norwegian Sun and stay in hotels in New York, Anchorage and Vancouver.

Sincere thanks.

Jasjas.

Thanx LHT28,

What would we have to do to use 220v appliances ?

Thank you

You need the correct plug or an adapter

The ones I have seen are round 2 prong outlets ...not sure if the same on all cruise ships

Maybe ask on the NCL forum if that is the line you are on

For land .... a 2 or 3 prong plug for 110V is all you need an adapter or converter depending on your appliance

Thanx LHT28,

What would we have to do to use 220v appliances ?

Thank you

Speaking as a former Canadian now living in the U.S., all consumer outlets in both countries are 110v. It is very difficult to find a 220v. outlet anywhere. Remember that the vast majority of consumer appliances in both countries are 110v. That is insufficient power to operate any of your 220v appliances....

On board ship you should have both 110 and 220 sockets - --

Enjoy your trip!

Thanx for the replies...

My only real concern will be to charge my camera batteries and my cellphone.

I will find out in our stores what the position is.

Thanks again.

Jasjas

Some appliances have dual voltage so you just need the plug adapter

• 1 month later...
Thanx for the replies...

I know Disney does not allow for power strips/bars or surge suppressors on their boats (age?). But I love carrying a multi-outlet adapter on HAL and Princess cruises for all my creature comforts. The number of outlets is important with all family members needing to charge their devices too. I have an universal 220v power bar for my Asian travels.

Does NCL have restrictions on power bars?

Edited by xlxo

Thanx for the replies...

I will find out in our stores what the position is.

Thanks again.

Jasjas

Virtually ALL cameras and cell phones can be charged with either 110 or 220 V.

If your phone or camera has a USB charger, you can get a 110 v to sub adapter almost anywhere. I would drop into a store in NYC or Vancouver and pick one up

Edited by Earl Rosebery

For US & Canadian's all appliances / outlets are the same in both countries and the same on the ships -

Actually on the ships they offer 2 different sets of outlets 1 set is for North American electrical appliances and 1 set is for European appliances...

So no worries you do not need adapters or anything else :):)

My concern is not for the voltage, but the format of the outlets.... I know that South african plugs are way different to the ones in Europe and the UK '''so I am pretty sure it will also be different to those in USA and Canada and therefore also to those on the ship... We have 3 round prongs on most of our appliances.

I will have to get adapters...maybe I could find out from luggage shops... ?

Thanks.

Jasjas.

My concern is not for the voltage, but the format of the outlets.... I know that South african plugs are way different to the ones in Europe and the UK '''so I am pretty sure it will also be different to those in USA and Canada and therefore also to those on the ship... We have 3 round prongs on most of our appliances.

I will have to get adapters...maybe I could find out from luggage shops... ?

Thanks.

Jasjas.

Yes, you will need an adaptor but not a transformer if only charging cell phones and cameras. Look at the charging transformer that you are using for fine print that shows the input voltage that the device uses. Most cell phones, cameras, tablets are dual voltage 110/220. If the voltage shown is close to this then you are fine. Our plugs generally have two vertical blade type connecters at the top (one larger than the other for polarity purposes) and a round ground connecter center bottom. They sell a "universal" plug adaptor that has various configurations that pop in or out to match almost everywhere. I travel with a single adaptor (purchased form Target [local department store] for less than $4).

THANKS CptSticky !!

I saw some adapters like the ons one your photos in a shop today...they are identical, except for the two prongs that are not different in size...would that pose a problem ?

The label states that it is for South African visitors to USA... the other side is suitable for South African plugs.

Thanks again.

Jasjas.

THANKS CptSticky !!

I saw some adapters like the ons one your photos in a shop today...they are identical, except for the two prongs that are not different in size...would that pose a problem ?

The label states that it is for South African visitors to USA... the other side is suitable for South African plugs.

Thanks again.

Jasjas.

On our older plugs, both prongs were the same size. The older ones will still fit the new polarity plugs. A new plug will not fit one of the old sockets. I have that problem in my cabin which was built in the 50's. They made the change years ago as a safety feature. This way the inside of a light bulb socket is energized and not the outside.

Long story short, you should be fine.

THANKS CptSticky !!

Thanks again.

Jasjas.

Sounds good. And you don't need the 3rd round grounding pin. A two blade plug will be fine.