Scuba in Cabo?

vwrestler171

I dove in Cabo, and have some thoughts.

We booked through the cruise ship, and they use a company called Cabo Adventures. Avoid them at all costs. The only good thing was that - since we booked through the cruise ship - we ended up getting an on-board credit equal to the entire cost of these dives, due to all the issues.

We normally bring all our own gear, but this was the only dive on this cruise so we used theirs. Malfunctioning power inflator on a BC, which is almost always the result of lack of basic care and maintenance was one problem. Over twenty divers on the boat, (split into groups of about 8) was also not pleasant. There have to be decent operators there, I've heard good things about Manta.

Now, the next thing about Cabo is this. The popular dive sites are at the Lands End (Los Arcos) rocks. This is somewhat advanced diving due to the currents. You are at the very junction of the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez. I'm as strong a swimmer as I know When the surge was against us, I was the only one in the group staying in place. Everyone else was going backward, then when it would reverse, it took some work to navigate through the rocks, as one was being pulled by the same strong current. It also had the sharpest temperature variations I've seen, and the thermoclines were vertical rather than horizontal - again due to the radical meeting of the two oceans.

Considering the time of year, and that you're in Tooele, I imagine you're doing your open waters at Homestead Crater. That's a fantastic place to do them, but I'd be hesitant to go from there straight to Land's End at Cabo.

So, I'd strongly suggest that you search for an independent operator to dive with in Cabo, and arrange with them for dives somewhere on the Sea of Cortez side. There's lots of good sites, and it'll be warmer and more comfortable for you there.

Harris,

Denver, CO

We dove with Baja Divers twice, the first time was great, the second not so much due to their guide. He wasn't very good. This time we're going with Manta Scuba and I have heard good things about them. We're both instructors, so we're going out to the corridor for better dives.

I dove in Cabo, and have some thoughts.

We booked through the cruise ship, and they use a company called Cabo Adventures. Avoid them at all costs. The only good thing was that - since we booked through the cruise ship - we ended up getting an on-board credit equal to the entire cost of these dives, due to all the issues.

We normally bring all our own gear, but this was the only dive on this cruise so we used theirs. Malfunctioning power inflator on a BC, which is almost always the result of lack of basic care and maintenance was one problem. Over twenty divers on the boat, (split into groups of about 8) was also not pleasant. There have to be decent operators there, I've heard good things about Manta.

Now, the next thing about Cabo is this. The popular dive sites are at the Lands End (Los Arcos) rocks. This is somewhat advanced diving due to the currents. You are at the very junction of the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez. I'm as strong a swimmer as I know When the surge was against us, I was the only one in the group staying in place. Everyone else was going backward, then when it would reverse, it took some work to navigate through the rocks, as one was being pulled by the same strong current. It also had the sharpest temperature variations I've seen, and the thermoclines were vertical rather than horizontal - again due to the radical meeting of the two oceans.

Considering the time of year, and that you're in Tooele, I imagine you're doing your open waters at Homestead Crater. That's a fantastic place to do them, but I'd be hesitant to go from there straight to Land's End at Cabo.

So, I'd strongly suggest that you search for an independent operator to dive with in Cabo, and arrange with them for dives somewhere on the Sea of Cortez side. There's lots of good sites, and it'll be warmer and more comfortable for you there.

Harris,

Denver, CO

Thanks for the info. We're actually doing our certification out at Blue Lake which is close to the Utah/Nevada border.

• 7 months later...