Using rented masks and snorkels on local boat trips

tbmrt

Thinking of not bringing our own "stuff" on our upcoming cruise since we will only be snorkeling from the boat.

A little worried about germs though....

What do the experts here think of this?

I like to take my mask for the fit ... I really dislike a mask that leaks .... and the snorkel takes little extra room. I can live with rented fins and vest ...

I've used rented stuff many times over the years and have yet to contract anything from a snorkel or a regulator .. but carry mine when I can for comfort and familiarity. Being an otherwise very light packer, I usually have no problem fitting in what I want ....

Also easy to carry some alcohol wipes in a pinch ... and clean borrowed gear ...

{Looking at RCL site, 9/10 OASIS has only one port I'd snorkel at if this makes a difference .... not worth taking a mask for Lab or Fal IMO .. been there many times and not worth the effort for snorkeling .... in Coz OK ... but also consider the ruins at TULUM if you've never been. A LONG day but worth it IMO}}

tulum2.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

Every snorkle operator I've used makes a point to clean them regularly and I had no problems. Since switching too diving and owning a Go Pro, i have been wearing my own mask with the go pro mount.

• 1 month later...

We've used rented gear on all but one cruise. We've never gotten sick using rented gear. The only issue I've ever had (and that was only once) was getting a good fit on the mask. Once, it just wasn't sealing well - my face is a bit narrow across the temples I guess. Anyway, we are usually trying to pack light, so the masks/snorkles stay at home.