Marseille - Getting to Old Port

logan25

I am wanting to book a local excursion which meets in Old Port area. How would I best get from the ship dock to Old Port?

I read Carnival Vista passengers had access to a shuttle for $15 roundtrip. I don't know if this was set up by Carnival or a local shuttle which is available for all ship passengers. I am arriving on Norwegian Epic.

I tried contacting the Marseille tourist website but they were of little help except to say the tours begin in Old Port area; no help with how to get myself from Point A to Point B.

Edited by logan25

Please note, you can walk apx. 200 meters to a tent cover, with a free port

shuttle. It will take you near the old port area. There is a bus or a pleasant

walk pass museums and a old fort about 500 meters. Turn to your right upon exiting. Easy to do. If you are there on Thursday thru Saturday a turn to your left, will take you to a square where there is a market set up.

The above link gets you to the “official” way of getting into town. The cruse companies want you to pay for their shuttles. The city want you to take public transit (tricky to get to) or a taxi (someone on another post said it cost them over 40 euros). They don’t tell you about free shuttle provided by the port.

Follow the green line on the paved walk to the white tent. Shuttle takes 10 to 15 minutes since it uses the port’s internal roads instead of the highway. In April when we were there only one bus was running, so it was 30+ minutes for the loop. The in-town stop is a ways from the Old Port. 15 to 20 minutes walk, but flat unless you go up through the Panier. The Panier is worth a visit, as are Cathédrale La Major (you’ll see it as you walk to the port) and Notre Dame de la Garde (highest point in town, recommend the public bus and that you catch it before it goes through the old port since it fills up.)

Here’s a CC post that goes into detail. Skip to the end to get the latest info from last month.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1861134&page=5

Edited by cc_rider