Travelers Checks

resstation

Is there any reason why we should NOT take Euro Traveler checks on our Med cruise this summer? I'm thinking that's the best and safest way to have extra spending money with us for shopping at the ports. Does the ship cash travelers checks if needed?

Thanks!

I haven't used traveller's cheques in years - now I just use my debit card at a local bank machine when I need cash on trips - check with your bank to see what the fees might be (usually I pay a small flat fee for using the machine and then the interest rate is competitive when the conversion is done)

Is there any reason why we should NOT take Euro Traveler checks on our Med cruise this summer? I'm thinking that's the best and safest way to have extra spending money with us for shopping at the ports. Does the ship cash travelers checks if needed?

Thanks!

The safest way is a prepaid card such as CAXTON.

It's the equivalent of traveller's cheques but easier than cashing them in on the ship.

You use them as you would a debit or credit card at the point of sale or in an ATM to get cash. they are available in Euros or USD

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Travellers cheques are a thing of the past and not recommended anymore. They are dying out just like personal cheques are here. It is all debit, credit and prepaid cards.

I use Caxton as a back up to my credit cards but credit cards are my main method of payment with just a little in local currency.

we still use travelers checks and have never had a problem cashing them on the ships. we also bring them along just in case we need extra funds since we can get whatever we need on the ship whether it is USD or euros.

Marianne

Thanks! THIS is what I wanted to know. If you lose or someone steals your prepaid, debit or credit card (unless American Express), you're out of luck. Totally screwed, actually. If traveler's checks get stolen they are replaced within 24 hours. I haven't used any in YEARS either but we haven't been to the Med in years. I just want to have back up, just in case. As long as the ship can cash them, I'm good.

Thanks! THIS is what I wanted to know. If you lose or someone steals your prepaid, debit or credit card (unless American Express), you're out of luck. Totally screwed, actually. If traveler's checks get stolen they are replaced within 24 hours. I haven't used any in YEARS either but we haven't been to the Med in years. I just want to have back up, just in case. As long as the ship can cash them, I'm good.

Not trying to be negative here, but FTL cruiser didn't specifically say they were using them in the Med or on MSC.

They are no longer commonly used in Europe. Many hotels, restaurants will no longer take them.

As for loss of a card. Simple stop it, then do a bank transfer on your phone, all done in minutes. I never travel with only one card anyway and don't keep them all together.

That said, if you like them and want to bring them as a back up, then that is your choice.

• 3 months later...