S.F. Pier 35

dlburns36

We are on the Dawn Princess Alaska cruise departing out of San Francisco on July 10th. This is our first cruise and I have never been to the Pier 35 Cruise terminal. Can anyone give me some idea of what to expect. I have a friend dropping us and picking us up, she has not been here either. Are we able to get right up to the drop off point or does traffic prohibit that. Will I have to schlep our luggage a city block or are there porters near the drop area? What time should we get to the terminal? I would like to get on the ship early if possible so we can get a feel for the surroundings. Any and all advice is welcome

TIA

Dave

If someone is dropping you off it will be easy. (except for the traffic) Pier 35 is right on the worf (sp). They will be able to drop you right at the front of the pier and the porters will take most of your bags to the ship. If you are going to drive, parking is about a block and a half away.(if you park make sure you have cash for the payment, it is required when you park in cash. no credit cards or checks). Since embarkation takes several hours not a big problem with traffic, but when you get back it is very busy. If someone is picking you up I would pick a spot about a block down the street to get out of the traffic.

I have not been on as many cruises as others but this board really hates pier 35. It is kind of a warehouse and if it is could will be drafty (and this is SF)

Hope that helps

John

Google Maps has a good satellite photo of the pier (with a Princess ship tied up) and Microsoft's http://local.live.com/ has good 2d "birds eye" images. The area is always heavily congested when ships are in and also because it is so close to Fisherman's Wharf. We will be sailing from there in Sept on the Coral. Have a great trip.

49er

Just another note. I read in a previouse thread and from my own knowledge that the Baseball game all star game is that day. and some roads are going to be closed. You had better check this all out and be prepared to get there real early. Just a warning

John

Definitely check the game times and road closures, but you might save yourself some discomfort if you board a bit later than most people. If your parking is guaranteed that won't be a problem but if SF is warm that day (as it was when we left in late May for Alaska, a couple of years ago, it was horrible waiting outside in the sun. People were fainting and needed medical attention. Bring a sunhat and water. The ship disembarking was late, and passengers were held on the ship, so although the travel agency busses were inside the "warehouse" most passengers were lined up for a mile outside. We heard that later there was no wait. We arrived in a Limo and the SF police wouldn't let us be dropped off. Cabbies got the front row. You have to be quick and sort of forceful. Don't mean to scare you but be prepared. Although who knows, you might sail :D right on through. Good luck and have a great journey.

we were there in APRIL and the garage does take credit cards but make a reservation it is a very popular place. dh dropped me off and the trafic was very bad. When we got back to SF after the cruise we walked across the street with bags everything was on wheels so it was easy to handle. You don't have to pay till you return. ALL worked out just fine but if we every have to use s.f. port again we will park car and walk across with bags both ways.

we were there in APRIL and the garage does take credit cards but make a reservation it is a very popular place. dh dropped me off and the trafic was very bad. When we got back to SF after the cruise we walked across the street with bags everything was on wheels so it was easy to handle. You don't have to pay till you return. ALL worked out just fine but if we every have to use s.f. port again we will park car and walk across with bags both ways.

Not disputing your answer, when I went in March 06' you had to pay cash up front. Some guy showed up with out it and was told where the ATM's where located. Glad to hear it has changed since I will be sailing out next year and using credit card so much easier.

John

I think it's a bit of a hassle sailing from San Francisco - traffic and big ugly warehouse of a terminal building. But sailing out San Francisco Bay, past Angel Island and Alcatraz, under the Golden Gate makes up for any amount of hassle in my opinion!

We're in the South Bay, and we always take CalTrain to the end of the line and then get a taxi from there. Cheaper than parking, and less trouble too.

We are also on the ship with you and based on what a friend told us (a local SF resident) it's going to be a pain around the port the day of embarkation on July 10th - thanks to the All Star Game, which is only a few blocks away. It was recommended we arrive early, as later in the day, the street closures and traffic will be really bad, so even if you are planning to be dropped off, you can expect lots of traffic early in the afternoon.

For that reason, we will be driving down to SF early in the morning and plan to be at the pier around 10:30am. I realize we will have to wait, but I'd rather do so in the terminal than in stop and go traffic. I'm not all that concerned with being the first ones on the ship, but I know how bad traffic can be in the bay area.

I'm sure once we are on the ship, the hassle of getting there will be forgotten quickly. Just be patient and get an early start.

We are also on the ship with you and based on what a friend told us (a local SF resident) it's going to be a pain around the port the day of embarkation on July 10th - thanks to the All Star Game, which is only a few blocks away. It was recommended we arrive early, as later in the day, the street closures and traffic will be really bad, so even if you are planning to be dropped off, you can expect lots of traffic early in the afternoon.

For that reason, we will be driving down to SF early in the morning and plan to be at the pier around 10:30am. I realize we will have to wait, but I'd rather do so in the terminal than in stop and go traffic. I'm not all that concerned with being the first ones on the ship, but I know how bad traffic can be in the bay area.

I'm sure once we are on the ship, the hassle of getting there will be forgotten quickly. Just be patient and get an early start.

I had forgotten about the baseball game! We were planning to leave San Jose by 10:00 and get to the pier around 11:00.

On the 10th, it looks like the City has The Northbound Embarcadero closed from 2nd and Townsend Streets from 6:00 AM until 4:00 PM and Between Bryant St and Townsend St from 11:30 AM until 2:00 PM. Here is a link to the press release:

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070626&content_id=2049940&vkey=pr_sf&fext=.jsp&c_id=sf

We will take 101 to Hwy 80 and exit onto Bryant. That will take us to the Embarcadero north of the closure.

I am sure glad you folks reminded me of the All Star game!

Your idea is correct. Please be sure to check with Mapquest. I recall Bryant St. is a sub-exit of 9th St. before 101 splits into 80. Better to be on 9th St. (same exit as Bryant) and turn right on Folsom and go on Folsom all the way. Folsom will end on Embarcadero and then turn left. /Sultan

We will take 101 to Hwy 80 and exit onto Bryant. That will take us to the Embarcadero north of the closure.

I am sure glad you folks reminded me of the All Star game!

Your idea is correct. Please be sure to check with Mapquest. I recall Bryant St. is a sub-exit of 9th St. before 101 splits into 80. Better to be on 9th St. (same exit as Bryant) and turn right on Folsom and go on Folsom all the way. Folsom will end on Embarcadero and then turn left. /Sultan

So taking the Bryant St exit and turning left onto 7th then right into Folsom is the better way to miss the street closures and get to the Emarcadero?

I do not travel to San Francisco that frequently so I want to make sure we do not get stuck in a traffic nightmare.

Dave

It is 9th St. exit not 7th St. When you exit, stay on the right lane. From the right lane one can either go to the right lane of 9th St (one-way) or go into Bryant. Folsom (also one-way) will be a couple of blocks after you exit on 9th. Once on Folsom, stay on the second from right lane and keep going. I will try to post a map next week after checking out the exact signs on Sunday. Folsom is better than Bryant. /Sultan

So taking the Bryant St exit and turning left onto 7th then right into Folsom is the better way to miss the street closures and get to the Emarcadero?

I do not travel to San Francisco that frequently so I want to make sure we do not get stuck in a traffic nightmare.

Dave

Yes, the All-Star game does change things a bit. However it is much more than a few blocks away. The odd numbered piers are on one side of the ferry building and the even numbered and ball park are on the other side. So far this season, people who arrived between 10 and 11:30 were checked in fairly quickly. There is a small waiting area inside the pier where early arrivals could wait until we are ready to begin check-in (usually around 11). Then there is another waiting area for you until you can get on board. It seems to be pretty crowded from 11:30 until around 1:30 or 2:00 and then fairly easy again. If you arrive early you will be competing for drop off spots with the departing passengers, but it seems to work fairly easy.

While I agree that Pier 35 is just an old warehouse type terminal, many passengers have said it was one of the best and easiest check-ins that they have ever had. Hope it will be for you also.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

It is 9th St. exit not 7th St. When you exit, stay on the right lane. From the right lane one can either go to the right lane of 9th St (one-way) or go into Bryant. Folsom (also one-way) will be a couple of blocks after you exit on 9th. Once on Folsom, stay on the second from right lane and keep going. I will try to post a map next week after checking out the exact signs on Sunday. Folsom is better than Bryant. /Sultan

OK, I think I see what you are talking about on Google maps. There also looks to be an exit at Bryant and 7th. I would assume by taking the 9th St exit off 101 I will miss all of the closures for the All Star game?

How bad is traffic eastbound on Folsom at 11:00 or so?

Thanks for all the information, it is sure to save a lot of us some major headaches.

Dave

Yes, the All-Star game does change things a bit. However it is much more than a few blocks away. The odd numbered piers are on one side of the ferry building and the even numbered and ball park are on the other side. So far this season, people who arrived between 10 and 11:30 were checked in fairly quickly. There is a small waiting area inside the pier where early arrivals could wait until we are ready to begin check-in (usually around 11). Then there is another waiting area for you until you can get on board. It seems to be pretty crowded from 11:30 until around 1:30 or 2:00 and then fairly easy again. If you arrive early you will be competing for drop off spots with the departing passengers, but it seems to work fairly easy.

While I agree that Pier 35 is just an old warehouse type terminal, many passengers have said it was one of the best and easiest check-ins that they have ever had. Hope it will be for you also.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

That is terrific...we should be at the terminal around 11:00 or so...Once on the ship, can we get right into our rooms or do we have to wait??

Sorry for the questions...this is our first cruise and we are just trying to get the lay of the land!

Dave

They will have a place for you to wait until the ship is ready for boarding, usually between 11:30-12:00. You probably will be given a card telling you that your stateroom might not be ready when you board, but you are free to use the public areas. The staterooms are ready at different times, depending on when the stewards are able to finish.

Any thing else?

They will have a place for you to wait until the ship is ready for boarding, usually between 11:30-12:00. You probably will be given a card telling you that your stateroom might not be ready when you board, but you are free to use the public areas. The staterooms are ready at different times, depending on when the stewards are able to finish.

Any thing else?

Just one more (maybe :) )

I have read that the coffee on the ship is horrible, we are taking along our french press and coffee to make in our room every morning. Can I order a pot of hot water from room service and have it delivered to our room every day or do I need to go find hot water somewhere?

Thanks for your patience!

Dave

Just one more (maybe :) )

I have read that the coffee on the ship is horrible, we are taking along our french press and coffee to make in our room every morning. Can I order a pot of hot water from room service and have it delivered to our room every day or do I need to go find hot water somewhere?

Thanks for your patience!

Dave

You can go up to the Horizon buffet and get hot water there, but you can also call room service. Sometimes it's faster to simply go and get it yourself - depending on where your room is located.

We like to have juice in the refrigerator; in the morning, you can get cranberry juice and others for free. I simply take an empty water bottle up to the buffet and get what I need - then keep it cold in the refrigerator in our cabin to drink later. If you call room service or visit a bar for a glass of cranberry juice, they charge you for it.

Depending on the ship, sometimes you can wait 20-30 minutes for room service. On the Diamond, it was never more than a 5 minute wait. I guess you can test the waters once you are on the ship.

About the coffee:

A lot of people on these boards really dislike the coffee; I don't really think it's all that bad, but it's no where nearly as good as what you get at Starbucks. Since I drink my coffee iced with cream and sugar, the regular stuff served on the ship is fine. You can pay extra and get a coffee card for Starbucks style coffee, but as I am okay with what they serve, I never get one. You know what you have to have, so bringing your own might be the best way to go.

Do all San Francisco cruise departures leave from pier 35?

We are leaving from there on our Alaska cruise in May 2008 and it will be our first visit to the city - in fact our first visit to the U.S!

Archived