Alcohol shop in Barcelona Cruise terminal after security?

Hi

I have recently read conflicting reports where so say that after you have gone through security and had your carry on scanned there is an alcohol shop before you board the ship.

If this is true does that essentially mean you can buy more wine/spirits etc before boarding and taking it on? If this is true it seems bizarre for cruise alcohol rules although the same people did say cruise workers stay in the shop and watch what you buy.

If the rumours are true we would like to give it a try...we will be on the Equinox in August for a 13 day.

The terminal security at the entrance is run by the port and is an actual security checkpoint for entry into the terminal.

How security past this initial point is handled is ship and cruise line specific.

While some lines just have a medical form that is filled out and presented at check-in, a line like MSC has actual medical screening equipment that scan the temperature of each passenger. Passengers with signs of illness are denied boarding with MSC.

The same is true for the follow up security. NCL has a table set up following the area with the shops where you pay the 'corkage' fee for every bottle brought onboard the ship.

My experience with Royal Caribbean is that they have a security point on the deck or entrance to the ship where bags are screened again upon boarding the ship. This is the ships control that the terminal agents have taken the photo for Seapass security correctly and that passengers on B2B are using only the new Seapass and such.

There is nothing to stop a passenger from boarding the ship and then returning to the shops and then boarding the ship again, which might be a 'loophole' in this process. I have heard others reporting no secondary security upon boarding the ship, but on my 5 RCI sailings from Barcelona this has always been the case.

I have sailed NCL, RCI, Holland America and Windstar out of Barcelona.

It used to be the case that you could buy wines or spirits at the terminal shop to take aboard but I think most cruise lines have realised this was happening and now have security scanning as you board just like a normal port stop.

Yes, you can buy drink at the port shops, however the prices are very high compared to Carrefour half way along las ramblas.

Holland America had scanning at the boarding point on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We have sailed out of Barcelona twice on Celebrity ships. Both times we were able to purchase wine/liquor after passing thru security in the terminal and had no problem taking it aboard. Last Oct was our most recent trip. I don't know if Celebrity has cracked down on this since then. I guess you just need to be prepared to surrender it if stopped.....and be pleasantly surprised if you don't. Have a great cruise!