Snorkeling trip for solo traveler - recs?

wheretonow?

I am traveling solo to Cozumel and would love to do a snorkeling trip. Hoping to do one or two reef stops or open snorkeling from the beach, although I have this isn't nearly as good in Cozumel. I don't want to just go to the Money Bar as I want to make sure I'm in a group for safety reasons.

Looking for a good dive company that picks up from the pier (prefer not to taxi to the pick up point). I'm wondering if I'm better off taking the ships tour since I know I would have a group and transportation but prefer independent operators.

Thoughts on a good fit?

We went with Mystic. Palancar and Columbia reefs are grand, large fish, but deep and a long ride. This is ocean snorkeling. Does involve a short taxi from cruise pier to Marina. We went in the morning and asked to be dropped off at Mr. Sancho's for lunch and drinks. The a cab back to the ship. A good day, but ocean snorkeling is a challenge.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Forums mobile app

I'd venture out with Eagle Ray. But some ship excursions use Fury Catamaran which is also good, heads to the same reefs and may for a single person be a good choice as you won't have to worry about the boat not getting enough passengers or hitchhiking onto someone else's party.

For shore snorkeling just take a taxi to Money Bar , Sky Reef, or Playa Corona..

Which cruise line are you sailing on. I was recently able to price match a shore excursion with CCL using their guarantee. That way you have the safety of being with the ship and save $$$ too.

Also, check your roll call to see if anyone else on your sailing is going snorkeling. You can join them. I would be afraid to snorkel solo. Just does not seem safe. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I'm sailing with Royal. Looking for a group snorkeling trip since I want to with others and not on my own (so Money Bar is out). As of now I am comparing Eagle Ray, Cozemel H2O and the RCCL snorkeling boat tour.

Thanks for the replies. I'm sailing with Royal. Looking for a group snorkeling trip since I want to with others and not on my own (so Money Bar is out). As of now I am comparing Eagle Ray, Cozemel H2O and the RCCL snorkeling boat tour.

Not sure why you think Money Bar isn't safe. I've gone there with my teenage son, and I've gone there solo, and both times felt completely safe.

You can snorkel from shore for free, or you can pay to take Tiger's snorkel boat trip.

You can take a cab there and back, drivers are licensed and fare rates are preset so you're not going to get taken advantage of there. If you don't want to shop, remember to ask the taxi driver to be dropped off AT THE SHIP'S PIER, not on the other side of the shopping mall complex across the street. You'll still have to walk through all the shops on the pier to get back to the ship, but you'll have a lot fewer to navigate.

Anyway, like I said, as a middle-aged woman traveling alone, going to Money Bar is completely safe (and economical).

I think OP is more worried about snorkeling solo than getting there and back - you never know what is going to happen to you in the ocean. I never snorkel alone.

Snorkeling from the beach with a vest is pretty safe... all kinds of people around in the event of a cramp, etc. And snorkeling on an excursion with Tiger at Money Bar Beach would constitute snorkeling in a group.