Fjords ?? What's best ??

Hello all

We went on Dream first time in September round the Med, and now would like to see the Fjords.

So my question is which Itinerary is best and what time of year is best to go?

Over to you.................

Thanks

Wendy

We did this cruise last June - just six nights from Newcastle.

Flam second day and we did the full day organised trip - Coach to waterfalls etc then to Voss for lunch, afternoon on the Flam Railway, not a cheap trip but certainly worth it - we saw all there was to see.

Gerainger third day we did the half day trip to Frozen Lake and Mount Dilsnibba, again a fabulous trip - we were very lucky with the weather it was perfectly clear and we could see our ship, the Spirit, from the summit.

Bergen on the last day, typical Norwegian town, busy and full of tourists like us of course - did our own thing here, went on the funicular.

Two days at sea, start and finish, we only saw rain for a couple of hours whilst in Voss - not good.

All in all a great cruise, and would strongly recommend.

Hello all

We went on Dream first time in September round the Med, and now would like to see the Fjords.

Thanks

Wendy

Around the summer solstice.

Hello all

Thanks

Wendy

Hi - looking at your location I would assume you would prefer to go from Harwich rather than travel up to Newcastle in whuch case your choices are very limited. (A disappointment of mine that there are restricted choices from Harwich and they don't do either the Fire & Ice or North Cape from there! :( )

Also I notice that the itineraries are quoting Hellesylt - but not Geiranger which is strange. Previously they have dropped off passengers at Hellesylt for excursions then continued down Geiranger Fjord to Geiranger itself from where you could take different excursions or do your own thing. It seems as though the extra bit down to Geiranger doesn't figure now which is a great pity as that is a gorgeous place and a beautiful sail in and out.

So looking at the one week itinerary - ignoring the fact that Geiranger appears to have disappeared (I'd get confirmation of that as it does seem odd - I could be missing something) the Alesund/Flam/Hellesylt/Stavanger is a good mix.

Hellesylt even without the extra leg to Geiranger involves a long and stunning sail down Geiranger Fjord (was it 120 miles or 120 Km from the sea to the end - bit shorter now if they stop at Hellesylt) also the sail down to Flam is also fantastic and the train journey you can do from there is amazing. Bergen is an interesting DiY stop - you can see the old wharf (the Bryggen) and go up the funicular for fab views and it's a pleasant town/city to wander around. Nice contrast to the villages in the deep regions of the fjords.

Stavanger we love! It has gorgeous clapper board houses built right next to the quay with cobbled streets and roses round the doors! (If I lived there I'd hate these huge ships berthing by my front door though!) There is a quite a lot to see and all easy walking from the ship. again a good Diy.

Those four ports offer interesting and varied destinations which I'm sure you would love.

My real preference though would be to do the North Cape - but that is a two-weeker and sadly only operates out of Newcastle which is a bit of a haul for us although we did sail out of there on a couple of occasions when we lived in the Midlands. It's very easy and convenient - just a long way now! But the North Cape gives you everything that the Fjords itineraries do - sailing down some narrow fjords with mountains towering above you and some attractive and interesting twons on the coast but in addition by travelling up beyond the Arctic Circle you get some more stunning but different scenery. It's fantastic!

From Harwich your choices are a bit limited but we've been in May (a bit early - chilly), June (was fine) but late July was the best although you can't guarantee the weather anywhere.

Anyway good luck with your deliberations! I'm sure you won't regret going as it's magical! Enjoy whatever you decide to do. ;)

Hello all

Thanks

Wendy

If you can do 2 weeks you cannot beat the North Cape.

We did it this year and it was the best itinerary we have ever done. Absolutely fantastic. We went mid June and the weather was very good, there was still lots of snow on the mountains and the waterfalls were in full flow from the melting snow.

We also had better weather in the Arctic than they did back home:D

It would be well worth the travel up to Newcastle.

Archived