Buses & Ferries

Ashby

Could someone just clarify how to pay for buses and ferries. My husband and I will possibibly only use the bus to go to the South Coast beaches to do the beach walk(no7) on a Sunday and return and a Ferry to go Hamilton on a Monday and return (or possibibly the direct Ferry to St Georges if we can get theire and back before 2.00pm - if only to experience the island from the water)We think our ship has been relocated from Hamiliton to the Heritage Wharf at the dockyard. Can we only pay in tokens and what coinage would we need to purchase these.I had planned DIY trips based on Hamiliton but now have just started to make new plans based on arriving 8.00am Sunday and leaving 3.00pm Monday and trying to experience as much of the island as possible but still relax and enjoy

Could someone just clarify how to pay for buses and ferries. My husband and I will possibibly only use the bus to go to the South Coast beaches to do the beach walk(no7) on a Sunday and return and a Ferry to go Hamilton on a Monday and return (or possibibly the direct Ferry to St Georges if we can get theire and back before 2.00pm - if only to experience the island from the water)We think our ship has been relocated from Hamiliton to the Heritage Wharf at the dockyard. Can we only pay in tokens and what coinage would we need to purchase these.I had planned DIY trips based on Hamiliton but now have just started to make new plans based on arriving 8.00am Sunday and leaving 3.00pm Monday and trying to experience as much of the island as possible but still relax and enjoy

Bermuda accepts US currency and coins which are on par with the Bermudian dollar; IDK if they accept any other currency.

There are 4 way to pay for bus and ferry fares. Exact change only ($4.50); token ($4.00); Transportation Pass, 1 day ($15.00); or ticket (booklet of 15 is $30.00, can be shared & do not expire).

Yes, you can only pay with tokens purchased at a Visitor Information Centre before boarding the bus or ferry .

SBtS

Thanks for the link biker@sea.

The article states that rental scooters are free on the ferries with a pass, but if paying with cash or token, it costs an additional $4. What about mobility scooters for the disabled. Do they pay the add'l $4 if not using a pass on the ferries ?

Thanks.

Thanks for the link biker@sea.

The article states that rental scooters are free on the ferries with a pass, but if paying with cash or token, it costs an additional $4. What about mobility scooters for the disabled. Do they pay the add'l $4 if not using a pass on the ferries ?

Thanks.

There's no charge for mobility scooters. The charge is for motorbikes.

There's no charge for mobility scooters. The charge is for motorbikes.

That only seems fair !

I was reading last years summer timetable (this year's not yet avail.) and noticed that the Orange ferry from the Dockyard to St. George doesn't allow scooters, which I'm certain pertains to rental scooters and mopeds. What about mobility scooters for the disabled ? I know the buses cannot handle them, so was hoping to be able to ride the Orange ferry to visit St. George. It would be a very long and expensive taxi ride.

Thanks,

Edited by J&B in GA

I have seen the mobility scooters on the ferry to St. George. I would say there is not a problem. The ferry that we used last year was on loan from Rhode Island and that was the reason we were given that no motor scooters were allowed on that ferry. Since the huge ships have started coming into Bermuda, their smaller ferries could not handle the volume of passengers getting on at the Dockyard so they rented a commuter ferry from Rhode Island to handle the passengers.

Bermuda accepts US currency and coins which are on par with the Bermudian dollar; IDK if they accept any other currency.

There are 4 way to pay for bus and ferry fares. Exact change only ($4.50); token ($4.00); Transportation Pass, 1 day ($15.00); or ticket (booklet of 15 is $30.00, can be shared & do not expire).

Yes, you can only pay with tokens purchased at a Visitor Information Centre before boarding the bus or ferry .

SBtS

on the bus if you pay by cash its exact change coins only! buy the tokens firsts. The tickets are not readily available. all the day passes are.

Edited by smeyer418

on the bus if you pay by cash its exact change coins only! buy the tokens firsts. The tickets are not readily available. all the day passes are.

The tickets books are now easily available to cruise passengers. They are now sold at the Dockyard while they weren't in the past. You can just walk off the ship and buy them at the ticket office.

That only seems fair !

I was reading last years summer timetable (this year's not yet avail.) and noticed that the Orange ferry from the Dockyard to St. George doesn't allow scooters, which I'm certain pertains to rental scooters and mopeds. What about mobility scooters for the disabled ? I know the buses cannot handle them, so was hoping to be able to ride the Orange ferry to visit St. George. It would be a very long and expensive taxi ride.

Thanks,

On the Blue Route ferry to Hamilton you can just drive your scooter onto the boat because it loads using a ramp at the front of the boat.

The leased ferry used on the Orange Route to St. George's loads from the side and doesn't have a ramp to drive or roll the scooter onto the boat (which is also why it doesn't carry motorbikes). Passengers using wheel chairs or scooters had to have their equipment carried onto the boat by the deckhands. Come to think of it, last year (the first for the leased ferry) I'm not sure I saw any mobility scooters on the boat...that could have been simply due to the fact that no one using a mobility scooter was traveling at that time, but it makes me less than 100% confidant that the mobility scooters can be used on that boat. I definitely saw wheelchairs, but they're much lighter and easy enough for the deckhands to carry on the boat.

Edited by njhorseman

I have seen the mobility scooters on the ferry to St. George. I would say there is not a problem. The ferry that we used last year was on loan from Rhode Island and that was the reason we were given that no motor scooters were allowed on that ferry. Since the huge ships have started coming into Bermuda, their smaller ferries could not handle the volume of passengers getting on at the Dockyard so they rented a commuter ferry from Rhode Island to handle the passengers.

On the Blue Route ferry to Hamilton you can just drive your scooter onto the boat because it loads using a ramp at the front of the boat.

The leased ferry used on the Orange Route to St. George's loads from the side and doesn't have a ramp to drive or roll the scooter onto the boat (which is also why it doesn't carry motorbikes). Passengers using wheel chairs or scooters had to have their equipment carried onto the boat by the deckhands. Come to think of it, last year (the first for the leased ferry) I'm not sure I saw any mobility scooters on the boat...that could have been simply due to the fact that no one using a mobility scooter was traveling at that time, but it makes me less than 100% confidant that the mobility scooters can be used on that boat. I definitely saw wheelchairs, but they're much lighter and easy enough for the deckhands to carry on the boat.

Thanks, I'll just have to wait and see. I've made arrangement on the 1st day for a private Blue Flag Taxi tour of the Island which will include St. George, but wanted to take the ferry on day 2 or 3, if we wanted to revisit something in St. George.

The tickets books are now easily available to cruise passengers. They are now sold at the Dockyard while they weren't in the past. You can just walk off the ship and buy them at the ticket office.

thanks. noted. good