RCL vs. NCL for solo's...

Izzybeff

Which do you prefer?

It looks like i'm going to be doing my second Solo cruise next January and I have the option of sailing out of Galveston on RCL or Houston on NCL. I've done NCL numerous times including once by myself so i'm pretty familiar with them. I've never done RCL before and am looking for some opinions.

I do like the Anytime dining, etc. that NCL offers.

Having done both lines as a solo I think NCL caters better for singles,especially on ships like the Epic.Having a singles host is really important I feel and NCL do this on the Epic.

I also cruised on RCI from Singapore to Australia where the cruise director (a Brit) had the crazy idea of having self hosted singles/solo get together at the busy Promenade cafe.Well of course a lot of solos turned up but because there was no one from RCI there they didn't know who was single/solo or whatever....it was a complete disaster and he got heavily criticised for his lack of hosting.

I really feel having a company host really helps to break the ice especially on the first few days when a lot of people are nervous.

On NCL Epic the host was great and organised trivia & pictionary games at the evening get together as well as organising group dinners in various restaurants,he really enhanced the cruise for us all.If I were you I would try to look at the activity planners for the 2 ships and see if there is a singles (hosted) get together every or most evenings and pick the ship has the best arrangement.Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took Voyager of the Seas as a solo out of Galveston a few years ago. There was a solo luncheon, I believe on a sea day. It was surprisingly well attended, but I didn't really click with anyone. Had a solo gal at my dining table, and another solo gal was part of the trivia group I hung with.

To tell the truth, my best solo experience - where a number of us actually all had dinner together each night, hung out at the bar together, and were friendly once the cruise was over - was on my last cruise, on Carnival Triumph out of Galveston.

There are several solos who inhabit this forum who have had NCL experiences on ships other than Epic, Breakaway, Getaway. You could do a search on this forum to find them, or hopefully they will share their experiences.

I think it really comes down to your personal cruise preferences and how open you are to meeting all different types of people.

• 2 weeks later...

I found Breakaway/Epic were the best in my experiences meeting solos. From there, it was then easy meeting others as well.

What I think makes NCL stand out is they have the solo lounge get togehter- which you can attend as a non-studio guest.

I upgraded to a balcony last time around, but am debating just sticking with the studio as a) i never spent much time in the room b) i'd rather be among the other solos and have 24 hour access to the lounge 3) additional money can be spent on meals/excursions etc...