Fitness Center on Grandeur

We cruised on Grandeur in 2000 but I was not into fitness as I am today. Can anyone fill me in on the equipment in Grandeur's fitness room? I know they probably have plenty of cardio machines, what I'm more interested in is weight training equipment, do they have machines? Dumbbell rack with some heavy dumbbells ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It's a small gym with the usual equipment: weight machines, free weights, bikes, treadmills, and ellipticals. I usually go late afternoon and it was never crowded.

Sherri:)

The only negative about the fitness center is that it is not accessible for disabled passengers .There is not an elevator to the deck where the fitness center is .You have to go one deck below and walk up a steep stairway.

I believe you can enter from the outside, and you can get to that outside deck by elevator.

I believe you can enter from the outside, and you can get to that outside deck by elevator.

If you plan on entering through the emergency exit doors, you may want to have someone on staff open the door.

I have no personal knowledge. But I can't imagine them not accommodating someone.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/grandeur-of-the-seas-74/fitness-center-191067/fitness-center--v9940443/

Cruise Critic has a photo gallery of the Grandeur's fitness center. This seems to be a few years old. But the equipment is representative of what is there.

If you plan on entering through the emergency exit doors, you may want to have someone on staff open the door.

I have no personal knowledge. But I can't imagine them not accommodating someone.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/grandeur-of-the-seas-74/fitness-center-191067/fitness-center--v9940443/

Cruise Critic has a photo gallery of the Grandeur's fitness center. This seems to be a few years old. But the equipment is representative of what is there.

I didn't realize that door was an emergency exit. I must have confused it with one of the other Vision class ships where that door is a normal door, not an emergency door.

• 2 months later...
We are very much into fitness/weightlifting more than aerobic. The gym on Celebrity Summit is great and we are hoping that Grandeurs will be good to? We are booked on a 12 night cruise.

I've used the Grandeur fitness center a number of times, but just recently used the Summit fitness center for the first time. The Grandeur's is smaller, with fewer machines and free weights. There is also less room for individual floor exercise, but if you plan, you can avoid the crowds and the classes. Also, the steam and sauna are just downstairs, and the Park Cafe is nearby. (Perhaps you find the latter extraneous information, but I like their accessibility.) Even though it's smaller, plan to enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Grandeur. The gym is small and at the times that I manged to get myself there, every single treadmill and bike were typically in use. One treadmill was not working. They mostly face the starboard side of the boat and I found it disconcerting to try to run on the treadmill under the left-right movement of the boat. I ended up using the outside track (1/4 mile) for runs. I did take one yoga class - which ended up being almost $15 and was only 40 minutes, 10 minutes of which was savasanna. Not worth the cost at all and way too short. The only floor space is also used for the classes, and is really small. I needed to spend some time on the foam roller and there was no way to do it with classes going on. There was also no TVs for watching while you are on the machines, and wifi only if you pay. I don't love machine workouts anyhow, so the fitness center wasn't my cup of tea. If I had managed to time by workouts differently it probably would have been better. The cruise was also completely sold out - so use was at maximum levels most likely.

If you use strava or garmin or some other tracker for your workouts, the run will look crazy fast and map you to the middle of the ocean. I set a whole bunch of new PRs!