Cockatoo Catamaran Grand Cayman

mistertoaster

We are booked on a cruise with a stop in Grand Cayman. The excursion to Stingray City is through the ship on the Cockatoo Catamaran. We are using the a ship tour because we have significant cruise credit to utilize. It appears Cockatoo works for NCL, Celebrity and MSC. I searched the forum and found many posts on Cockatoo, but all were several years ago. If you have been on the Cockatoo recently and have any comments positive or negative that is appreciated. I have a non-swimmer in my group, and I would also appreciate any comments on whether the excursion on the Cockatoo to the Stingray City Sandbar would work for a non-swimmer. Thanks in advance for any responses.

• 2 weeks later...
We are booked on a cruise with a stop in Grand Cayman. The excursion to Stingray City is through the ship on the Cockatoo Catamaran. We are using the a ship tour because we have significant cruise credit to utilize. It appears Cockatoo works for NCL, Celebrity and MSC. I searched the forum and found many posts on Cockatoo, but all were several years ago. If you have been on the Cockatoo recently and have any comments positive or negative that is appreciated. I have a non-swimmer in my group, and I would also appreciate any comments on whether the excursion on the Cockatoo to the Stingray City Sandbar would work for a non-swimmer. Thanks in advance for any responses.

I believe I saw on a review lately that the Cockatoo holds 60 people!

That's a lot of people.

Not much help since it's been a very long time since we were on Cockatoo which we booked thru Princess.

Do remember it was a VERY large sailing catamaran (didn't feel crowded) and was our best time ever swimming with the stingrays. :)

LuLu

~~~

Thanks everyone for your comments. Even though it appears to service several cruise lines, there are few reviews of the Cockatoo, and the reviews that exist are old. I guess we need to book it, and then come back and post a review on C.C. Maybe that will help the next cruiser trying to solve the mystery of the Cockatoo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

We did take the Cockatoo excursion on the MSC Divina. For future reference, the excursion was good, with a few reservations. Three buses took passengers to Resorts Sports Ltd. which owns the Cockatoo. The ship was crowded with approximately 60 people. It is partially covered. Late arriving passengers and sun seekers were on the ships trampoline which is not shaded. The cat takes about 45 minutes to reach Sting Ray city. It does drive right up to the sand bar, and swimmers and non swimmers could both reach the bar by walking off the ship. The Sting Rays are as advertised. They are plentiful and fairly docile. Picture opportunities are frequent, and the crew also takes pictures which they will sell to you on the ship. If you have any issues with the rays rubbing against you, swimming between your legs or generally being up close and personal with you, think twice about the excursion. Most people, myself included, thought this was great, but a few folks go pretty squeamish when the rays got close.

Overall, a good experience. A bit too many folks on the cat, but the excursion delivered what it promised.

• 4 weeks later...
We did take the Cockatoo excursion on the MSC Divina. For future reference, the excursion was good, with a few reservations. Three buses took passengers to Resorts Sports Ltd. which owns the Cockatoo. The ship was crowded with approximately 60 people. It is partially covered. Late arriving passengers and sun seekers were on the ships trampoline which is not shaded. The cat takes about 45 minutes to reach Sting Ray city. It does drive right up to the sand bar, and swimmers and non swimmers could both reach the bar by walking off the ship. The Sting Rays are as advertised. They are plentiful and fairly docile. Picture opportunities are frequent, and the crew also takes pictures which they will sell to you on the ship. If you have any issues with the rays rubbing against you, swimming between your legs or generally being up close and personal with you, think twice about the excursion. Most people, myself included, thought this was great, but a few folks go pretty squeamish when the rays got close.

Overall, a good experience. A bit too many folks on the cat, but the excursion delivered what it promised.

Is there a bar for drinks on the catamaran?