Last Minute Cruise Strategy

twotall

Looking for input from others as to the potential success or failure of our strategy for last minute cruises in July '15.

Considering quasi "B2B" cruises on the following ships:

Enchantment OR Majesty - both departing on 7/20/15

followed by

Disney Dream OR Oasis - departing 7/24 and 7/25 respectively

While it would be nice to book both cruises now and have everything reserved, the finances don't quite work for us. We're hoping to take advantage of price drops after final payment is due. Also, I'm dealing with a medical issue and want to ensure that it's fully resolved before making any big commitments.

Our plan is to wait until after final payment is due and book Dream or Oasis somewhere around the 60-90 day mark. We'd watch prices and likely book Enchantment or Majesty around 30 to 60 days out. Cabin assignment is not important to us. Dining assignments, entertainment, excursions are also not priorities - we'll be happy with whatever we can get when we book.

I've already booked hotels for the day of our arrival at both MCO and FLL. These can be cancelled without penalty. Also, we have enough points on Southwest to be able to book both flight options and then cancel the option we don't use. Rental car(s) can be booked at the last minute.

So what do you think? What are our chances for getting "deals" by waiting until the last minute?

Just off the top of my head I would think you could have a good chance of getting a last minute deal on Enchantment or Majesty. A last minute deal on Oasis, in the middle of summer vacation time, not so sure about. This is a ship that is wildly popular, an ideal destination ship for families, at prime vacation time. Maybe others who scored a last minute deal on Oasis could chime in.

There is just no way to tell! However, since you are trying to coordinate two cruises on exact dates, I think your odds of success are further reduced. I would book the cruises you want when you can and just watch for price drops up to final payment date. After that, don't even look!

We booked a Sep 14 cruise a year ago for a good price. Second week was higher at the time so we passed. Kept the week available and booked the second leg after final payment and saved $200

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We booked a Sep 14 cruise a year ago for a good price. Second week was higher at the time so we passed. Kept the week available and booked the second leg after final payment and saved $200

That's intense for a $200 savings. Not sure I would wait just to save $200 (unless of course you can pretty much guarantee there won't be an issue getting a cabin). I guess it depends on budget and if you care what cabin you get.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

Looking for input from others as to the potential success or failure of our strategy for last minute cruises in July '15.

Considering quasi "B2B" cruises on the following ships:

Enchantment OR Majesty - both departing on 7/20/15

followed by

Disney Dream OR Oasis - departing 7/24 and 7/25 respectively

While it would be nice to book both cruises now and have everything reserved, the finances don't quite work for us. We're hoping to take advantage of price drops after final payment is due. Also, I'm dealing with a medical issue and want to ensure that it's fully resolved before making any big commitments.

Our plan is to wait until after final payment is due and book Dream or Oasis somewhere around the 60-90 day mark. We'd watch prices and likely book Enchantment or Majesty around 30 to 60 days out. Cabin assignment is not important to us. Dining assignments, entertainment, excursions are also not priorities - we'll be happy with whatever we can get when we book.

I've already booked hotels for the day of our arrival at both MCO and FLL. These can be cancelled without penalty. Also, we have enough points on Southwest to be able to book both flight options and then cancel the option we don't use. Rental car(s) can be booked at the last minute.

So what do you think? What are our chances for getting "deals" by waiting until the last minute?

A Deal on Disney or Oasis.... Slim to none!! Those go for sky high over the summer. That's prime family cruising time!

That's intense for a $200 savings. Not sure I would wait just to save $200 (unless of course you can pretty much guarantee there won't be an issue getting a cabin). I guess it depends on budget and if you care what cabin you get.

Actually $200 was savings over week one price. The savings from the original quote was more like $600. Booked last second on Indy once and paid a premium, so you never know

I've been watching Majesty last minute pricing since end of July. There are generally deals the last couple of weeks before a sailing. But those deals are not that much different from the pricing that is usually available in advance, and in the middle of the summer, you just never know what is going to be available.

Oasis and Dream? As others have said - book now. Besides, you only need to put down a $100 p/p to lock in a price.