PV - City Highlights or Countryside & Tequila Hacienda

aoverby

Which excursion in Puerto Vallarta? City Highlights or Countryside & Tequila Hacienda? Will have my 90 year old father-in-law with so need something easy.

We live in PV for part of the year so its sometimes difficult for us to even identify with excursions. But keep in mind that any "City Highlights" excursion is going to involve substantial walking in Centro (downtown) and possibly the Southside (Romantic Zone). So if your father-in-law has mobility issues you would want to give a lot of consideration to walking requirements of your excursion.

Hank

We live in PV for part of the year so its sometimes difficult for us to even identify with excursions. But keep in mind that any "City Highlights" excursion is going to involve substantial walking in Centro (downtown) and possibly the Southside (Romantic Zone). So if your father-in-law has mobility issues you would want to give a lot of consideration to walking requirements of your excursion.

Hank

Hi Hank,

We wil be in PV for the first time in January. What would your recommend for a first-timer? We will have my parents with us and my mom does have some mobility issues, but they haven't decided yet if they want to do an excursion, so we may be on our own.

Thanks,

Karen

Hi Hank,

We wil be in PV for the first time in January. What would your recommend for a first-timer? We will have my parents with us and my mom does have some mobility issues, but they haven't decided yet if they want to do an excursion, so we may be on our own.

Thanks,

Karen

You will find certified guides with vans at the dock offering various (city and other)tours. Talk to them. Either you make it a private tour or join others.

When it comes to tours/excursions we would normally defer to Ine who has much more knowledge about these options than moi. But keep in mind that PV is a great place to simply explore on your own. It is easy to get from the port into town via a taxi or even the local buses. But once in town, exploration does mean walking...although one can certainly take their time, stop for frequent rests (not to mention food and drinks), etc. Another option is to explore as much of town as you can handle, and then perhaps spend some time at a local cafe/restaurant located along the beach where you can eat, drink, and people watch.

For those that choose excursions that take them away from town, we hope they somehow can find the time to later get into town and maybe discover some of the unique charm of our winter home. DW and I first visited PV on a cruise...and were not overly impressed (we cannot even remember what we did that day). But now, after 10 years of spending lots of time in PV, our fondness for the city/region grows every year. And what we find really interesting is that nearly all the friends (Americans, Canadians and Mexicans) that we made that first year are still good friends who also continue to return to PV year after year.

Hank

You will find certified guides with vans at the dock offering various (city and other)tours. Talk to them. Either you make it a private tour or join others.

Thank you. We usually have a guide arranged before arriving at the port, but maybe we'll just wing it this time.

When it comes to tours/excursions we would normally defer to Ine who has much more knowledge about these options than moi. But keep in mind that PV is a great place to simply explore on your own. It is easy to get from the port into town via a taxi or even the local buses. But once in town, exploration does mean walking...although one can certainly take their time, stop for frequent rests (not to mention food and drinks), etc. Another option is to explore as much of town as you can handle, and then perhaps spend some time at a local cafe/restaurant located along the beach where you can eat, drink, and people watch.

For those that choose excursions that take them away from town, we hope they somehow can find the time to later get into town and maybe discover some of the unique charm of our winter home. DW and I first visited PV on a cruise...and were not overly impressed (we cannot even remember what we did that day). But now, after 10 years of spending lots of time in PV, our fondness for the city/region grows every year. And what we find really interesting is that nearly all the friends (Americans, Canadians and Mexicans) that we made that first year are still good friends who also continue to return to PV year after year.

Hank

My husband and I love to walk and explore. We are looking forward to our first visit there.

My husband and I love to walk and explore. We are looking forward to our first visit there.

When walking and exploring, take a walk on the small island that is located right in the Rio Cujale (the small river that is between Centro and the southside (Romantic Zone) where there are quite a few vendors. There is also a large indoor market place (kind of like a permanent flea market) on the Centro Side of the river (a few blocks inland) that is also fun for those who like to shop and browse. There is a lot of junk in this market, but you also find many Mexican-made crafts and pottery. If you get lost or need to find anything just ask anyone for directions.

Hank