Looks line QofS is underway

derf5585

Kind of odd...

I thought that sea trials are not supposed to happen until the ship is fully equipped.

Not having the North Star attached might alter the results due to the differences in weight and aerodynamics.

From earlier posts, the North Star won't be attached until "early October".

Maybe these aren't formal sea trials, but just some tests?

Kind of odd...

I thought that sea trials are not supposed to happen until the ship is fully equipped.

Not having the North Star attached might alter the results due to the differences in weight and aerodynamics.

I sort of agree

If one figures the weight of the guests and luggage 3000 guests * 250 Lbs=375 tonnes

Maybe they added ballast to compensate

Kind of odd...

A ship normally has multiple sea trials during her construction. Since Meyer Werft is land locked that is not possible. I believe she will still have two sea trials. This is only the first. Most likely this sea trial is more for the ship yard to ensure everything functions as expected and fine tune the equipment. They will have a later sea trial that will most likely be the official one that she must pass to be approved to set sail.

Sea trials are conducted to measure a vessel’s performance and general seaworthiness. Testing of a vessel’s speed, maneuverability, equipment and safety features are usually conducted. Usually in attendance are technical representatives from the builder, governing and certification officials, and representatives of the owners. Successful sea trials subsequently lead to a vessel’s certification for commissioning and acceptance by its owner.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_trial

I sort of agree

If one figures the weight of the guests and luggage 3000 guests * 250 Lbs=375 tonnes

Maybe they added ballast to compensate

375 tons (or 340 tonnes) is nothing for a ship with a deadweight of 11,575 tons (10,500 tonnes). That's only about 3% of its carrying capacity.

375 tons (or 340 tonnes) is nothing for a ship with a deadweight of 11,575 tons (10,500 tonnes). That's only about 3% of its carrying capacity.

I wonder what is the weight of the NorthStar is. Is the bear on the starboard side going to affect stability?