Herculeanum

We are on the Discovery next week and am still trying to decide what to do in Naples.We want to go to Herculaneum but not sure how to do it. Thomson offer a trip but it is only 3 1/2 hours and we wondered whether you would have enough time there. I have read that a local company have some buses that do a transfer only trip . The later would be cheaper but not sure what would do if on arrival at Naples these weren't available.I know that the train is an option but my husband is blind (with some sight) and I think this could be very differcult for us. Has anyone done the Thomson trip and was it OK?.

A few years ago on a Thomson cruise did Pompeii and Herculaneum in a day on a Thomson excursion Both sights are near to Naples centre and close to each other I would say 3.5 hrs to Herculaneum and back is sufficient time as it's much smaller than Pompeii I have also done both by train from Sorrento under my own steam and a day is sufficient time

If you want as little stress as possible I would do the excursion Naples traffic is manic anytime and if delayed the ship will wait

We did Herculaneum on a Thomson tour last year from Sorrento while on Discovery. As Vitalsign says Naples is closer to the site so a half day excursion is about right.

As also said it is smaller than Pompeii and in that time you will see a lot. An organised tour includes a guide which is a definite plus.

We enjoyed the trip and found it very interesting.

The Circumvesuviana local train service runs frequently between Naples and Sorrento, and stops near Herculaneum. You can probably check the timetable on line to check it would work for you. Have a great trip ... Herculaneum is s fabulous place to visit.

Thanks for advice. I think we will book the Thomson trip.I really wanted to do DIY but concerned that the buses I have read about may be full when we get off the ship and we will just waste time hanging about. We had a holiday in Amalfi several years ago and did most of the "sights" but not Herculaneum.I have read about the train but concerned that as my husband has very poor sight it can be difficult in crowds. The main reason other than cost we want to go independently is that he takes a lot long to look at things and walk around than most in a group but the trip may be the easiest option as I don't fancy negotiating the Naples traffic with someone who's blind.In fact we have booked a lot more of the trips than we do usually to make it easier.

We did the Herculaneum trip offered by Thomsons out of Naples a few years ago - excellent.

The coach trip is not too long and there was plenty of time with a very knowledgable guide taking us around the site.

I try to avoid ship's excursions where convenient DIY is possible, however this one was worthwhile.

Thanks for your comments. I decided to book with Thomson as I was concerned that if the bus transfer I had read about we might end up doing nothing which would be a shame. If for any reason the trip doesn't go(lack of number) I will try the bus. I feel excourting my husband who is blind in such a busy city as Naples would be very stressful but we will be OK at somewhere like Herculaneum where I will be able to guide him.

• 2 weeks later...