Are there no free drinks packages any more?

Just had a look at the cruise packages for 2014 and it's £395 for 2 for the AI drinks. I remember that if you booked early enough you got them got FREE! Is there a point at which this will change or is this how it is these days?

We were discussing this last night and I think it's still available on the Dream and Celebration, but not the Majesty. In the brochure it's states this offer can be withdrawn at any time.

We booked on the Dream last year and because it was about 12 months in advance, the drinks package was free at the time. The TA did say the package comes and goes without warning, and true enough a few days after we booked, it was withdrawn.

We have now booked the Majesty for next year and took the £69 per person drinks package. I certainly wouldn't pay the full price, that's for sure.

I was considering booking the Majesty for September 2014 but the AI drinks package is no longer free. Whilst the cost quoted at £138 per couple is not too bad the total cruise cost at £2600 per couple in an OPlus cabin deck 6/7 flying from Newcastle seems expensive for a cruise over 12 months away

Disappointed that Thomson are not giving much incentive to book early so decided to wait and see if the total price improves and also look at other cruise lines

You never get AI from UK but OBC of £50 pp.

They will offer drinks packages when you are on board and the shop does 15% off drinks and cigarettes on the first day.

Really? £50 On board credit, it didn't say that when I was quoted. I didn't see the shop selling drinks onboard, you mean they let you use what you have bought onboard whilst you're there?

I've just checked and it is still available.

On the page after you choose your cabin grade, look down the list and it will say £50 OBC £0.00, but you have to tick the box. I think it's a bit naughty that it isn't added automatically.:(

Yes you can drink your purchases in your cabin.

On the page after you choose your cabin grade, look down the list and it will say £50 OBC £0.00, but you have to tick the box. I think it's a bit naughty that it isn't added automatically.:(

Another naughty was where the excess baggage was ticked automatically and we nearly fell foul of that one as you have to uncheck it if you don't want excess baggage.

According to my TA theres limited AI no matter how far in advance you book.Its on a first come first served basis.The more popular the cruise the less time AI is free. Once they have sold their allocation its pay.Again there is a certain allocation at the next stage £69,once thats gone it rises again.

According to my TA theres limited AI no matter how far in advance you book.Its on a first come first served basis.The more popular the cruise the less time AI is free. Once they have sold their allocation its pay.Again there is a certain allocation at the next stage £69,once thats gone it rises again.

That's interesting. Majesty's free AI went on 1st July 2013 for summer 2014. I just checked and for August 2014 it is now £69 each (still worth it) but Dream is still free. As you say, Jim, it is the popularity of the cruise, not the ship, but it is revealing non the less! :rolleyes:

Thanks I didn't realise there was even this option, just shows you how many others would do the same, thing is why would I want to sit and drink in my cabin anywaY?

You never get AI from UK but OBC of £50 pp.

They will offer drinks packages when you are on board and the shop does 15% off drinks and cigarettes on the first day.

they can't sell duty free on eu cruise though

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Vera :)

Now to persuade DH

When I said I wanted to go to Iceland, he said "Off you go then, round to the shopping centre" - ho ho very droll:rolleyes::D

Just as well you love him anyway.

I have no doubts of your persuasive powers........you've always managed before.;):D

Archived