Vantage New Ship the River Voyager will not launch in June

Texas outlaw

We have just been informed that the New Vantage 5 star ship Voyager which was to be put into service June 2015 will not launch. We had a trip (Gateway to the Black Sea) scheduled for September but just yesterday we were informed the company will not cruise at all this year on the Voyager. This means all cruises will be cancelled and if you can't arrange for another date on another ship you are out of luck. Vantage has been fair and if we can't arrange another trip we will be refunded full price. Just makes be wonder why they sell cruises knowing they will not take over the ship. From a sells rep. I understand the ship is built out and ready to go. We paid in full a couple of weeks ago and should have been informed of the situation at that time. Rep. only said it was a company decision.

Just wondering if others received the same call.

We have just been informed that the New Vantage 5 star ship Voyager which was to be put into service June 2015 will not launch. We had a trip (Gateway to the Black Sea) scheduled for September but just yesterday we were informed the company will not cruise at all this year on the Voyager. This means all cruises will be cancelled and if you can't arrange for another date on another ship you are out of luck. Vantage has been fair and if we can't arrange another trip we will be refunded full price. Just makes be wonder why they sell cruises knowing they will not take over the ship. From a sells rep. I understand the ship is built out and ready to go. We paid in full a couple of weeks ago and should have been informed of the situation at that time. Rep. only said it was a company decision.

Just wondering if others received the same call.

That's terrible and very surprising. They're cancelling a whole season of trips? That doesn't sound right....maybe they just haven't decided which ship will sail in its place. We were on the Navigator last year and she's older but still more than comfortable and still very good looking.

We booked our Black Sea to Rhine Valley Grand European river cruise last January on the River Voyager (new ship). There were 2 cruises we were interested in - July and Oct (both on the Voyager). We opted for the July cruise. By February we were switched to the River Navigator (they said the ship wouldn't be ready in time for our cruise). But the October cruise still had the Voyager scheduled for it.

It seems giving the builders extra time didn't work, and they couldn't accept the product they made.

Texas- Hope this works out, and you find another route that you like. I'm sure you were excited looking forward to trip.

I am booked on the Eastern European on the River Splendor (Bucharest to Budapest). I called Vantage to see if there were changes to that trip, as I couldn't find that trip on their website anymore, nor in the MY PORTFOLIO spot where you're booked cruises are listed.

I was told the Voyager is scheduled to be operational for the 2016 season.

The Eastern European is not showing on web site as they have dropped Constanta as the embarkation point for 2016, and are revising the route, but I am still sailing upstream in October.

They are also updating the MY Portfolio site, so that didn't list my current trip.

Confusion all around.

...I am booked on the Eastern European on the River Splendor (Bucharest to Budapest). I called Vantage to see if there were changes to that trip, as I couldn't find that trip on their website anymore, nor in the MY PORTFOLIO spot where you're booked cruises are listed...
When you say "that trip" are you referring to a specific cruise date that you had booked? If so, which date? I am still seeing quite a number of Vantage Gateway to the Black Sea 2015 trips listed at https://www.vantagetravel.com/OurJourneys/Deluxe-River-Journeys/2015/Gateway-to-the-Black-Sea/dates-prices#top

Thom

When you say "that trip" are you referring to a specific cruise date that you had booked? If so, which date? I am still seeing quite a number of Vantage Gateway to the Black Sea 2015 trips listed at https://www.vantagetravel.com/OurJourneys/Deluxe-River-Journeys/2015/Gateway-to-the-Black-Sea/dates-prices#top

Thom

Gateway to the Black Sea is being offered for 2015, although the name has changed, and it does still dock in Constanta. However, 2016 cruises are ending in Ruse and continuing by bus to Bucharest for one night. I was disappointed to see that because while Constanta was nice, Bucharest was really beautiful and had a lot more to see than Constanta. I was hoping they would drop Constanta (nobody else goes to Constanta) and add an extra day in Bucharest rather than just shorten the trip by a day. A lot of us complained about Constanta vs. Bucharest, but I don't know if that made a difference or the current political unrest in the Black Sea areas was the reason. Although Constanta isn't close to the areas in turmoil. I noticed that Celebrity is no longer offering it's Black Sea cruise next year either.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Gateway to the Black Sea is being offered for 2015, although the name has changed, and it does still dock in Constanta. However, 2016 cruises are ending in Ruse and continuing by bus to Bucharest for one night. I was disappointed to see that because while Constanta was nice, Bucharest was really beautiful and had a lot more to see than Constanta. I was hoping they would drop Constanta (nobody else goes to Constanta) and add an extra day in Bucharest rather than just shorten the trip by a day. A lot of us complained about Constanta vs. Bucharest, but I don't know if that made a difference or the current political unrest in the Black Sea areas was the reason. Although Constanta isn't close to the areas in turmoil. I noticed that Celebrity is no longer offering it's Black Sea cruise next year either.
Grand Circle still has Constanta on their Danube cruise in 2015. GCT has nothing posted yet for 2016 in the lower Danube. We did the GCT lower Danube eight years ago with friends, and hired a van and driver for a post-cruise 8 day trip through much of Transylvania - a gorgeous trip in an area with very few tourists. After docking in Ruse would you believe that I encountered two people I knew - one from Virginia and one from Vienna Austria. I'm glad we got a trip to the Crimea in 2011 - not very tourist friendly at the moment.

Thom

Sorry, the trip is for Vantage in 2016.

Gateway to Eastern Europe is back on the web site today for 2016; last night it wasn't. When I booked it, it was a 12 days, now it is 11 days, they haven't replaced the Constanta day with anything else yet. Hopefully they adjust that going forward. It's a long way away, so fingers crossed.

After docking in Ruse would you believe that I encountered two people I knew - one from Virginia and one from Vienna Austria.

I believe it, we ran into friends from California in the airport in Cairo, Egypt while waiting for our luggage!!!

Sorry, the trip is for Vantage in 2016.

Gateway to Eastern Europe is back on the web site today for 2016; last night it wasn't. When I booked it, it was a 12 days, now it is 11 days, they haven't replaced the Constanta day with anything else yet. Hopefully they adjust that going forward. It's a long way away, so fingers crossed.

That's what I noticed too. I hope for your sake, they add a night in Bucharest, which is a lovely city with many things of historical significance.

Your tour of the People's Palace will be included......don't miss it. We were not at all impressed with Constanta or the Danube Canal....nothing to see and not very scenic and the docking site in Constanta is in a huge shipyard. Outside of the water the ship is sitting on, you can't see anything but giant cranes and equipment.

This morning I checked the Vantage web site, and a lot of cruises that had rooms available a week ago are all booked up. I suspect that this may be a result of rebooking lots of folks who were scheduled to sail on the River Voyager to other cruises.

FuelScience

This morning I checked the Vantage web site, and a lot of cruises that had rooms available a week ago are all booked up. I suspect that this may be a result of rebooking lots of folks who were scheduled to sail on the River Voyager to other cruises.

FuelScience

I hope OP got on one.

• 2 weeks later...

The "dreaded call" from Vantage came this morning. Our Oct. 8th cruise has been cancelled, the Voyager will not be sailing until 2016, and we have a choice of available cruises before or after what we booked. I really wasn't all that surprised, thanks to Cruise Critic, but thought until today that maybe Voyager would be sailing in the fall. So we are booking September 25th on Navigator for the reverse itinerary. I know the ship is smaller, older and refurbished, but what else can I learn about Navigator, from you who have sailed on her? I don't know how Vantage was able to put this together, but at least we can sail this year instead of waiting until next year.

Pat,

So sorry. I'm sure that Hydrokitty will weigh in. She's done 2 or 3 cruises on the Navigator, and I think that she'll be on the the Navigator about a month before you are. We'll be taking the Navigator up the Rhine and Moselle, sailing from Amsterdam on July 31. I plan to post from the cruise.

I'll go ahead and change you on the Roll Call Thread.

FuelScience

The "dreaded call" from Vantage came this morning. Our Oct. 8th cruise has been cancelled, the Voyager will not be sailing until 2016, and we have a choice of available cruises before or after what we booked. I really wasn't all that surprised, thanks to Cruise Critic, but thought until today that maybe Voyager would be sailing in the fall. So we are booking September 25th on Navigator for the reverse itinerary. I know the ship is smaller, older and refurbished, but what else can I learn about Navigator, from you who have sailed on her? I don't know how Vantage was able to put this together, but at least we can sail this year instead of waiting until next year.

Dear Pat:

NOT TO WORRY!!! I have sailed 3x on the Navigator, the last time in August, 2014 on Gateway to the Black Sea, and I'm going again this August on Rhine and Moselle! The ship is older, smaller and has been refurbished, but it's still more than comfortable and the food is fantastic. One of the advantages of being on Navigator is that it holds fewer passengers, about 130, which makes it easier to meet each other and for the dining staff to get to know what you like or more importantly hate to eat or drink! A few of the more obvious differences are these:

Only the suites and A level cabins have french balconies so if you really want one, book it NOW. There is no difference in the room size between levels A-1 and E-1; all are 150 Sq. ft.; all cabins have hotel style beds that can be configured as one or two beds; all have private bathrooms with glass enclosed walk-in showers; all have 2 US outlets one in the bathroom and one at the vanity table; all have blow dryers; tvs, safes, individual climate control, ipad dock, free wifi and bottled water. There is one dining room on the Navigator and it's aft on the A level deck. There is one lounge and it's forward on the Main Deck but it has plenty of seating for everyone. The top deck has a jogging track and both covered and outside seating with plenty of lounge chairs, small table and chairs for everyone. There's also an enclosed area with tables and chairs. As for the weather, we went late in August and returned in Sept. and the weather was perfect. I can't imagine that leaving 9/25 will be much different. I wore capris and short sleeved shirts every day and used a fleece vest for evenings when it was a little cooler. I am assuming that Vantage has also discounted your trip to make up for the inconvenience....if not ASK :D. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me at chydro564@yahoo.com.

HK

We have twice sailed on the Navigator-our 1st cruise on the Rhine and the Moselle (still our favorite) and on the Danube from Nuremberg to Budapest. It is a great ship and we loved it both times. Another suggestion---we are doing the French Riviera on the Panorama with Vantage on Oct 8, 2015 (your exact date on the other trip) and you might want to take a look @ that one before it is all sold out...Valerie

Thank you both for the nice things to say about Navigator! I looked at the diagram of the decks, and wondered where all the cabins had disappeared to, but found they were where the dining room was on our other ships, Venture and Discovery II. We are promised a cabin at the same cat. that we booked on the Voyager. I just don't know how they can make room on the Navigator or other ships for the 170 passengers that are being switched. So, I guess we are just happy and surprised that there is room for us. It's too bad that we are the only ones on the Roll Call, so I won't know what others are asked to do.

Thank you both for the nice things to say about Navigator! I looked at the diagram of the decks, and wondered where all the cabins had disappeared to, but found they were where the dining room was on our other ships, Venture and Discovery II. We are promised a cabin at the same cat. that we booked on the Voyager. I just don't know how they can make room on the Navigator or other ships for the 170 passengers that are being switched. So, I guess we are just happy and surprised that there is room for us. It's too bad that we are the only ones on the Roll Call, so I won't know what others are asked to do.

Don't worry, you'll find out when you're having dinner the first night!!:D We had a couple on our first cruise who had been bumped due to an accident with their ship (hit a bridge and suffered serious damage) and ours was the only cruise that had space left but they had to take a lower cabin level.....good news was they sailed for free all they paid for was the plane fare!! If there's more than one couple who had the same experience you had, believe me, they'll be talking about it.