Thenford Grey Tours vs. St. Kitts Island Paradise Tours?

katjoeus

Looking at both companies and they both get really good reviews on Tripadvisor - kinda lost here, which one is the better one as far as companies and which is the best tour? Leaning towards the Thenford Grey Grand Island Tour but would potentially like a bit more beach time...

Has anyone done these tours and which one would they recommend??

I think you might find that few people have done BOTH tours and who could give you a comparison between the two. We toured with Thenford Grey and were very pleased. Vehicle was comfortable, the stops were very interesting, Thenford Grey was a very knowledgeable and professional guide, and the drive was scenic --- St. Kitts is a beautiful island. Perhaps you could arrange a later pick-up from the beach --- ask both tour companies about that and see what they say? Taxi might also be an option, but the beaches that are mentioned on Grey's tour are quite a distance from the cruise port so taxi might be expensive and might have to be arranged in advance. We had about an hour and a half at Cockleshell Beach, and we found that to be enough as we were feeling a bit tired after spending a few hours touring the island in the heat. Love St. Kitts though and hope to return some day.

katjoeus,

We haven't been on a Thenford Grey tour but we have been on Island Paradise Tours "Best of St. Kitts Tour", my review of this tour (which has been posted on a previous thread) is as follows:-

We booked with Roosevelt Taylor’s Island Paradise Tours “Best of St. Kitts Tour”, primarily based on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor reviews – a 3 hour sightseeing tour. The tour cost $55.00 pp, with a $35.00 pp deposit paid in advance by credit card (we didn’t fill in the credit card information requested on the web site – we dealt with it by email and phone); we gave a $20.00 tip at the end of the tour.

Equinox was the only ship in port that day (Tuesday December 15, 2015, 2,850 pax), so the island was uncrowded.

The meeting time and directions (provided with our booking confirmation) could have been clearer and we had a little trouble finding them, which is one of the problems in not having been to the port before.

They asked that we be there at 8:30 am as the so that the tour could start promptly at 9:00 am. Because the ship was berthed at the pier furthest away from the port exit it took us 30 m to walk round the dock to get to the meeting point – ok we are slow to get going in the morning.

There were four of us at the meeting point, the other couple went on another of Island Paradise Tours’ trips, so that left us as the only people booked on this tour. Merlyn Browne was our guide and driver. Toured from 9:30am to 1:45pm.

I don’t know why more people didn’t tour with them, Island Paradise Tours are highly rated on TA (No. 3 out of 54 tours and activities, with a 97% excellent and very good rating) and lived up to their rating by providing a great product - perhaps they need to do a better job with their marketing.

Sightseeing tour

Toured Basseterre to look at the sites than on to Romney Manor House gardens, a 17th. Century sugar plantation. No real house to speak of, long gone by now, only the bell tower remains. We visited Caribelle Batik factory and shop at Romney House, the fabric is not cheap (priced for tourists) bought two cushion covers for $50.00, given a demonstration of the fabric dying process and looked at the grounds with its extensive gardens, flowers, plants and trees. We also visited Brimstone Hill Fortress & National Park, interesting place with great views from the top and Timothy Hill (Views of both the Caribbean and Atlantic Oceans) than had a quick visit to Carambola Beach Club at South Friar's Bay. Roads are typical for a volcanic, rain forested, Caribbean island - narrow and hilly with steep drop-offs. Refreshments provided in the form of bottled water.

We had a great tour, one I can heartily recommend, Merlyn was a terrific tour guide and safe driver. His enthusiasm and desire to teach us about St. Kitts was awesome! He was full of wonderful facts and told us all about the local trees, spices and flowers.

Island Paradise Tours have a number of tours (we went on a straight sightseeing tour) that include beach breaks - we could have stayed at a beach on the tour we took. Look them up on TA or go to their web site for more information.

Don't think that you can go wrong with either company.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

NA Gooner

I think you might find that few people have done BOTH tours and who could give you a comparison between the two. We toured with Thenford Grey and were very pleased. Vehicle was comfortable, the stops were very interesting, Thenford Grey was a very knowledgeable and professional guide, and the drive was scenic --- St. Kitts is a beautiful island. Perhaps you could arrange a later pick-up from the beach --- ask both tour companies about that and see what they say? Taxi might also be an option, but the beaches that are mentioned on Grey's tour are quite a distance from the cruise port so taxi might be expensive and might have to be arranged in advance. We had about an hour and a half at Cockleshell Beach, and we found that to be enough as we were feeling a bit tired after spending a few hours touring the island in the heat. Love St. Kitts though and hope to return some day.

This is a silly question, but I wanted to ask someone who has actually taken this tour because you seem to be in the vehicle for a while...do they give you bathroom breaks? Because some stops seem like looking at the beautiful scenery and walking around on the grounds. thank you....

This is a silly question, but I wanted to ask someone who has actually taken this tour because you seem to be in the vehicle for a while...do they give you bathroom breaks? Because some stops seem like looking at the beautiful scenery and walking around on the grounds. thank you....

There were bathrooms at the Fort, at Caribelle Batik, and at Cockleshell Beach.

For what it's worth, I booked with Thenford for my upcoming cruise which departs 9/24

I just realized your cruise is closer....have a great cruise..can you report back on your tour with Thenford Grey? thank you...

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment I do not have any pics. Been busy with work and laundry. Plus I am currently working nights. I will post pics either Wednesday night or Thursday night.

Here is brief overveiw of the trip:

Just did the tour with Thenford Grey on 9/25/16......

BEST TRIP EVER!!!!! Our driver was Henry Williams, amazing older gentleman, very knowledgeable and our snorkel guide was Jermaine, Thenford Greys nephew.

Jermaine hands down went WAY ABOVE AND BEYOND FOR US!!!! He picked up sea eggs for use, sea cucumbers, star fish, got us a batfish and we traveled with a shovel nose lobster.

What made this trip outstanding for my g/f and I was we were the only 2 on this excursion.

Hands down book with Thenford Grey. You will not be disappointed!!! Anymore questions please let me know.

At the moment I do not have any pics. Been busy with work and laundry. Plus I am currently working nights. I will post pics either Wednesday night or Thursday night.

Here is brief overveiw of the trip:

Just did the tour with Thenford Grey on 9/25/16......

BEST TRIP EVER!!!!! Our driver was Henry Williams, amazing older gentleman, very knowledgeable and our snorkel guide was Jermaine, Thenford Greys nephew.

Jermaine hands down went WAY ABOVE AND BEYOND FOR US!!!! He picked up sea eggs for use, sea cucumbers, star fish, got us a batfish and we traveled with a shovel nose lobster.

What made this trip outstanding for my g/f and I was we were the only 2 on this excursion.

Hands down book with Thenford Grey. You will not be disappointed!!! Anymore questions please let me know.

Wow! Which tour did you do? I don't recall snorkelling on any of the ones I looked at. Sounds amazing!!

I want to do this city and beach trip he offers but have no interest in getting off the ship at 9am. Does he do multiple pick ups? I'd like to go at like 11 or so.

I doubt that Thenford offers this excursion at a later time in the day. You may find another tour/taxi operator that would offer a similar trip that late in the morning. You ship is the only scheduled ship in port on 10/20/16.

• 3 weeks later...

DH and I are interested in one of Thenford Grey's tours. We are looking at the Grand Tour or the Capital City Tour and beach splash. Both offer time at the beach after the tours. We want to spend at least two hours on the beach after the touring. We are not looking to shop or spend the least amount of time shopping. What was your experience and which tour did you take?

Thanks

Cursing next month!!!!!

Been meaning to post about Thenford Grey since we got back - haven't got round to it yet but here goes: THIS WAS PROBABLY MY FAVOURITE EXCURSION EVER!! Sorry for shouting but it was honestly THAT great.

We were lucky enough to have Thenford himself as our tour guide and he as AMAZING!! He is the most interesting, distinguished, well-spoken guy you could imagine.

I had somewhat limited expectations for St. Kitts (because I didn't know anything about it and it didn't sound like a great place for beaches), but I think of the five islands we stopped at, this was quite possibly my favourite (maybe tied with St. Lucia).

Go with Thenford Grey, I can guarantee that you won't regret it!!!