Pictorial walk to Baths beach

ryansmom

I see a lot of people asking about the walk from the Top of the Baths to the beach. Well, I remembered this and while there this year, I took pictures along the way. (The last time we were here, we dinghyed in from our boat to Devil's Bay and snorkeled and walked toward the beach on the trail. This year, we took a taxi to the top of Virgin Gorda [the touristy way] and to the Top of the Baths.)

So, here are pictures of the walk down to the beach. Most of it was an easy walk, I tried to take pictures of the more difficult spots:

I wanted to include all the photos in one post, so just click on the word to see the picture.

Here we are at the top/beginning. This is where the restaurant is (which, was good!)

Stepping down.

A few more steps down.

More steps before leveling out.

More flattened path.

Steps with a handrail!

Walking down.

Narrow walkway.

Funky rock near the bottom and restrooms.

Easy stairs/pathway.

We made it!

And, I didn't notice the lockers until we were on our way out.

Top of the Baths restaurant.

Lunch menu.

The pool and restaurant.

Hope this is helpful and answers some of those questions! :)

Thanks for posting all of the photos of the path to The Baths. I was wondering about the trail and how strenuous and rough it was, and thanks to your posting I have a better idea. Very helpful! :) It is not as bad as I imagined it to be.

As long as you have shoes with a good tread on them, you should be okay. Niece wanted to wear flipflops with no tread on them, she was glad we talked her out of it. The worst parts are the rocks with sand on them; but if you have good tread, and be careful, you'll be okay. Otherwise, trail itself is relatively easy. :)

Glad I could help someone!

If you have no real mobility impairments you'll be just fine - it's a natural path but not ardurous at all. Sneaks or shoes are recommended due to the uphill and downhill trek, but many ppl wear sandals and are fine too. Water shoes are handy in the sand and water if you have a light backback or a belt to carry them with you. The lockers are handy, although once you head over to Devil's Bay you'll return to the Top of the Baths on a different path so the lockers aren't useful in that situation (uinless you're walking back to the first beach).

Note that if the Baths are crowded (as is the case when cruise ship excursions arrive) it's a short walk to Spring Bay from the Top of the Baths and the topography is similar there (strewn boulders). The path there is flatter, or you can also swim/snorkel there from the beach where the Poorman's Bar is with the lockers and refreshments.

• 2 weeks later...
If you have no real mobility impairments you'll be just fine - it's a natural path but not ardurous at all. Sneaks or shoes are recommended due to the uphill and downhill trek, but many ppl wear sandals and are fine too. Water shoes are handy in the sand and water if you have a light backback or a belt to carry them with you. The lockers are handy, although once you head over to Devil's Bay you'll return to the Top of the Baths on a different path so the lockers aren't useful in that situation (uinless you're walking back to the first beach).

Note that if the Baths are crowded (as is the case when cruise ship excursions arrive) it's a short walk to Spring Bay from the Top of the Baths and the topography is similar there (strewn boulders). The path there is flatter, or you can also swim/snorkel there from the beach where the Poorman's Bar is with the lockers and refreshments.

I was just looking at Spring Bay on the map. It looks nice. My DH does have some mobility issues and he also has to take it easy due to a respiratory illness. Would Spring Bay be a better option due to the flatter path? Is it possible to get to Devil's Bay from Spring Bay via the water? Devil's Bay looks nice on the map too. Is Devil's Bay considered the Baths?

Thanks for your help.

Yes Spring Bay would be a better choice and the road is near the Baths. There is another path from the top of The Baths that goes to Devil's Bay, but SpringbBay is also a nice beach with some boulders and would be the better choice for you.

We haven't done it but you can swim/snorkel between Spring Bay and the beach where the main path comes down to the Baths from the Top of the Baths. I don't know that you can walk that. Devil's Bay is furthere beyond the Baths.

But Spring Bay is a nice beach, and you could also have a driver drop you at Savannah Bay or just stop for the nice view if you wanted.

We would go to Spring Bay and have a driver return to drop us at the Mineshaft Cafe for lunch and the view because we like stopping there when on VG.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank you so much! Thanks to your pictures we've decided that we CAN do this after all.

However, I've looked at some youtubes and other pictures and I'm not sure about the actual swimming at the Baths.

Some videos show the waves crashing against the rocks. We are not strong swimmers so don't want to swim where it is very rough. Is that tide dependent? Or is the actual sandy beach part ok to maybe go in about waist deep and just bop around?

How about that? I just happened to pop in to check email, & you had JUST posted!

I think the water depends on the time of year you are going to be there. In the summer, it's relatively calm. In the off season of winter months, it tends to kick up a bit more.

These are some pictures from when we were there in mid July:

DSC_7184.jpg

DSC_7189.jpg

DSC_7192.jpg

DSC_7230.jpg

DSC_7290.jpg

The group that went snorkeling said they didn't have any problems with rough water or the current. We have only been here in July...however, we are going sailing the BVI again next week. If we stop at the Baths, I'd be happy to report back....IF you haven't left yet?

Hope this helps!

We will be home the 13th....so I will report back on the water conditions.

The water is clear of rocks....I don't know if you've ever snorkeled in St. Lucia between the Pitons, but it's not like St. Lucia at all! It's all just very sandy, and you would think with the boulders it'd be rocky...but the water is not. You don't need water shoes in the water there. I like to wear water shoes walking through the caves and down by Devil's Bay (because that's more of a trail through "woods"). At this beach, I don't think water shoes are necessary....especially if you're going snorkeling. You'll be fine without.... It has a lot of boulders, but rocks in the water/beach, no. I know...weird, huh?

IF we stop here next week, we will probably dinghy ashore down near Devils Bay and snorkel and then walk the trail. But, I can still gauge the water. I, personally, don't feel the snorkeling is the best here because it IS more boulders than coral and reef. But, there IS some fish and things to see....just not as much as other places as I've been. But, I do love the Baths and Virgin Gorda :)

The water temp is pretty steady year round and won't be an issue. The sea conditions are dependent on swells and storms at sea, as well as windy conditions at the shore. So just hope for good conditions. The walk through the rocks is shallow and most folks are comfortable with water shoes for the hike down and up and through the rocks. Not necessary on the beach but handy for this excursion.

Try to save some time for lunch at the Mineshaft Cafe a short drive from the Top of the Baths, love their signature drink (the Cave In - "It's all in the Juice, Mon!"). And their panoramic view is amazing. If not enough time the Top of the Baths is good. You can also walk from the Top to Spring Bay which has similar topography as the baths but is a flatter walk.

Taxi drivers will work with you privately and drop you places and you will pay at the end, fares are very reasonable. great day!

EDIT -

Snorkeling is acttually quite good out away from the boulders. Do be cautious if you decide to take a boat and swim into the Baths as the undertow and waves can be quite strong.

Edited by blue_water

Thanks, blue water, every bit of info helps.

Besides the restaurant/shop up top, are there any amenities down below? Any chairs/umbrellas to rent?

Poorman's Bar is at the bottom of the main path on the beach and sells soda, water, beer and snacks and has locker rentals. The locker rental isn't of much use if you're walking through the boulders to Devils Bay and back to the top via the other path. No chair rentals that I remember...

Well, we are back.

We were at the Baths Jan. 9th (my husband's birthday :D )

I thought the water was definitely more chilly than it is in July. We WERE in and it was the type of temperature that was a bit chilly going in, but once you were in, you were okay.

I am sad to report, we did not snorkel. Current was just too strong. First time I've been there and couldn't.

Beach was beautiful...no small rocks under foot or anything. If you want to walk the path or the boulder path to Devil's Bay, water shoes are recommended (flip flops aren't a good idea walking on and over the boulders).

I will try to remember to post some pictures...just got home Tuesday night late and it's been a whirlwind of the typical post-vacation routine.

Thank you so much for your post with this information. We are considering a cruise that stops in Tortola in August and I've always wanted to go to The Baths, but we will have our young kids with us and I was concerned they might not be able to handle the path down. But after seeing your post, I think they can handle it. They are 5 & 8 and with water shoes or similar all trek water/land shoes it should be fine for them. Might even have to head over to Spring Bay....I will check that out as an option, too.

Thanks again for all your great information. CC has never steered me wrong!

.....we will have our young kids with us and I was concerned they might not be able to handle the path down. But after seeing your post, I think they can handle it. They are 5 & 8 and with water shoes or similar all trek water/land shoes it should be fine for them.

5 & 8 will be just fine on the paths. Not flipflops and the right water shoes and they will be fine. There are only a couple areas where there is sand on the rocks that can be slippery....the rest of the way is easy. I think folks who are looking for a handrail the way down are the ones that are thinking the path down is tricky. They have steps built in...a very gradual walk down. Just take your time and watch where you're going. If you can walk on your feet "steadily", you will be fine. And, to those looking to bring a stroller, um, yeah...you are going to carry that AND the child! ;)

I have the majority of the pictures of the path down in the original post, but here are a few from a couple weeks ago: (not sure why, but I had to refresh some of the pictures?)

Kids won't have to crouch down as far as adults ;)

Beautiful sights

Steps that do have handrails

Waiting on the rest of us, but you can see the path we are walking

Nature is awesome!

Devil's Bay...now roped off so dinghys cannot come ashore (like we did in 2012)

Relatively calm waters

You can see the bottom is sandy....except for the occasional smaller rocks near the larger ones.

Another pic of the path

We are walking