Coconut oil - can I bring onboard?

Can I bring a jar of coconut oil onboard or do I have to repackage it? I use it as my everything, mainly as a moisturizer for my already badly sunburned skin. I don't want it to end up in some "naughty room" full of contraband.

Edited by Im_on_a_boat

Can I bring a jar of coconut oil onboard or do I have to repackage it? I use it as my everything, mainly as a moisturizer for my already badly sunburned skin. I don't want it to end up in some "naughty room" full of contraband.

I think that if it is professionally sealed somehow from the shop where you bought it, it would be allowed, but not if it is "opened" or "home-packed". When going through the ship security on embarkation day, have it in your hand luggage and show the officers what it is before they ask - otherwise you might have to explain yourself in the "naughty room".... The same if you just leave it in your suitcase (even when sealed), you might very well be asked to come to the "naughty room" to explain what it is.

Edited by TrumpyNor

They don't care if you have coconut oil they only care if you have alcohol or irons or... Other strange things that are not allowed. Coconut oil is fine on s cruise ship. No need to repackage. Unless it's a huge jar that looks like a bottle of alcohol on an X-ray machine you should be fine.

Not a problem.

I just got back from the Dawn and had two jars in my carry on, one opened and one brand new. No issues :)

Hmmm I never even thought of this as being an issue. I had an old medicine bottle filled with some coconut oil on the Breakaway a couple of weeks ago. I use it to remove eye makeup. :eek:

The oil itself isn't a problem but the size and shape of the bottle could be. I would personally carry it in my carryon so if there were any questions it could be resolved at security (they only send people to the naughty room if they see something suspicious in the check luggage).