Best restaurant to view Cruise ships departing Port Canaveral?

Feebs2015

Hi all

We will be in Port Canaveral for a few days prior to a cruise on March 18th. I looked up the port schedule for cruise ships and see that there are 3 ships departing at 4pm and 430pm on Fridays.

Which restaurant/bar is the best place to be to watch this? I want to get some good photos too, and would be nice to be sipping a cocktail or two!!!!

Am I asking for too much???? :):)

At Grills you will sit almost underneath the Majesty of the Seas. That would be my first stop to snap a photo or two. Here is a photo of Grills taken from the Majesty!

Grills.jpg

Then go to Fishlips and sit outside upstairs at their newly renovated bar. Beautiful elevated views of the Disney Dream and Carnival Sunshine as they sail by!

Outside the Millikens main bar (west corner) you will have a wider view of the last two ships approaching but my first choice remains Fishlips (they have really good drink prices too - when last did you see Bacardi Rum as a well drink!)

Edited by SteerageJoe

Thanks for the tip Joe!

We kind of had our hearts set on Fishlips because we've read so much about it.

How would you say the food is? Seafood, that is.......:rolleyes:

We are from New England, so I guess we may be pickier than others....:')

Thanks!!!

the four popular places are in a row .....

each sits on the edge of the channel

Mil has more 'outside stuff' and higher prices and is the most west. Ya get nothing here of a ship leaving from T-1 (OASIS)

Rusty's doesn't get much press but is similar to the others ...

Fishlips is in the middle and hosts the 'webcam' many know about. It has an 'upper deck' so some see this as better for ship waves. Food wise ..... I'm not a fan.

Grills is the eastern most and adjacent to Terminal 1. My preferred place for food. If O' is in it blocks the sun!

Indeed - the Fishlips versus Grills food fight continues! It is a very common topic of conversation here at the Cape and there is no clear winner but most will agree that Grills food has a slight edge! You will be happy at any of these restaurants. My suggestion is to compare their online menus and pick one based on what you like to eat. The food choices are different. But for the nicest outside bar, friendliest servers, elevated views and best drink prices - Fishlips wins! Grills have their locals hanging out at the little bar making it hard to find an opening on the uncomfortable benches. The tables are too big unless you have a large group. Views are obstructed behind boats, etc.

Drinks are too expensive at Millikens in my opinion and you cannot find seats at the outside bar during happy hour .

And Rustys often close their plastic wind canvas obscuring the ship views when seated at outside tables. The tiki bar at Rusty's is too small and the seats are too low for a comfortable stay.

Once the music starts on a weekend night around 8pm, the crowd does flock to Grills because they have live bands versus DJs and then to Millikens after 11:30pm or so where the beat goes on until 2am!

The good news is you can walk around and pick the restaurant you like! We often plan to go to one place but end up in another for stupid reasons!

Edited by SteerageJoe

Fishlips is not in Jetty park

this picture is a little old but

portcanav.jpg

Jetty park is off the picture to the right/east

Millikan's is left/west of Rusty's

canaveral%20rentals%20Feb16_zpsde76i5qd.jpg

Grills sits immediately west of Terminal 1

grills-seafood-30.jpg

so far as I know, only Grills serves lion fish

lion%20fish%20dinner_zps37mhektm.jpg

An invasive species doing BIG damage to fish life in the Carib, and as far north as Canaveral and beyond ..... Grills encourage sport taking (by spear is best ... they don't often take a hook) and accept into the kitchen .....

aime%20and%20lion%20fish_zpssbg4t87b.jpg

it is a very mild tasting fish, flakey ..... Grills marinades in an oriental glaze and does a sort of half bake, finish with a fry ..... the meat falls off the body (which was gutted before cooking and all the 'dangerous parts' were removed LONG b4 cooking.) The meat is perfectly safe to eat .... I've had it many times.

Edited by Capt_BJ