Hotel in Southampton

Glammy Grammy

Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Avenue is lovely, I've stayed there a few times and it backs on to City Cruise Terminal - so especially convenient if you are sailing from there. Alternatively there are a few hotels (Ibis, Novotel etc) by West Quay Retail Park which are close to a couple of restaurants and the large shopping centre.

Edited by Cruisingthesuitelife

Here's as précis, with a map at the bottom

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

Holiday Inn is popular with those cruising out of City cruise terminal, Premier Inn West Quay gets best reviews, Ibis is cheapest. Any on that map will do the job, none are "to be avoided".

JB :)

We stay in Holiday Inn on the docks if we're driving, or Novotel or Ibis if we're coming by train and will be arriving in the late evening, so just want a clean room. We avoid the Ibis Extra as it backs onto MacDonalds and we've had problems with noise.

Do you mean Ibis Budget that used to be Etap? I wouldn't stay there if it were free from the photos and information I've seen.

I've stayed at Premier Inn West Quay but if you stay there, be aware that they are doing building works opposite and they worked until very late when we stayed two years ago. These were still going on last month when we visited Southampton.

Do you mean Ibis Budget that used to be Etap? I wouldn't stay there if it were free from the photos and information I've seen.

I've stayed at Premier Inn West Quay but if you stay there, be aware that they are doing building works opposite and they worked until very late when we stayed two years ago. These were still going on last month when we visited Southampton.

Yes, the Etap as was...we stayed there once because our train didn't arrive until 9pm, so all we wanted was a quick snack and bed....but the happy chappies of Southampton used MD's outside seating as a base until 3am. When there isn't even a kettle in the room to keep you going until the morning, it's not a good place for insomnia. The Ibis and Novo, on the other hand are well back from the fast food joints.

We stayed at Grand Harbour Hotel,nice. Will be staying again in October:)

Yes it is very nice. We stayed there too recently. It can be expensive though especially Saturdays, but they do have deals on their website.

Hi,

We always stay at least one night before we sail, much less stress than travelling on the day of departure.

We have stayed in the Grand Harbour a few times, nice hotel, restaurant has a bit limited menu but we stopped using it as it started to look shabby, this might have changed though.

We now use smaller hotels near Hythe, we are booked into the Pilgrim Inn for our May cruise, we have used this before and was very impressed. Only problem you would have is the additional travel from the airport although it is only a few miles from the cruise terminals.

Pete