Dining Rotation - Palo

Glitterglam

Hi there, we are doing the Western Carib on the wonder stopping at Cayman. If anyone could please suggest which night is "best" to do Paolo that would be appreciated!!! We want to sit in each of the rotational restaurants at least once!

How many nights is your cruise? Typically the first 3 nights onboard you will have the Signature menu (rotational) in each Dining Room. Then, depending on how long your cruise is, different menus on subsequent nights (same menu in all 3 MDRs each night).

IMO, if it's your first DCL cruise, I'd suggest skipping Palo and enjoy the different MDRs every night.

MOST of the time, your first night in each dining room is the signature menu for that room, but this is not always the case.

We are another one who avoids the pirate night menu. We can schedule Palo and be out in plenty of time for the pirate party and fireworks.

My suggestion--you can view the menus on line. Check them out and decide which you care for the least. Schedule Palo that night. But honestly, on a first cruise, I'd save my money and enjoy each of the "included" dining rooms and events. Then next time, you'll know what you don't care about missing.

I'm in the "weird" camp that actually loves the Pirate Night menu, so I'd personally never schedule Palo that night. I've not been on the Wonder yet, so I can't help with which one to skip there.

My personal preference is to kick off the cruise by eating at Palo the first night. Just a fun way to kick things off. I am making an exception for my upcoming cruise as departure day is Feb 14 and the LAST thing I want to deal with is a restaurant full of couples - so I'm hoping I get my requested rotation and assuming I do will be missing Enchanted Garden (least favorite on the Dream and Fantasy) on Night 2.

• 7 months later...
What do you have to wear to Paolo

The restaurant is Palo, not Paolo.

The dress code is listed on the DCL web site. It seems a waste of space to reprint it here. There is a difference between the requirements for brunch vs. dinner.

On your first 4 night cruise on DCL, I'd skip Palo. You want to experience each of the signature menus and the pirate night festivities (since you have a kid). Save the upcharge restaurant for your next cruise--then you'll know what you like and what you wouldn't mind missing. Either that or do brunch (sea days only). By doing brunch, you can eat at Palo but not miss anything in the MDRs.

I was following the way the person wrote this thread but I saw after how it was actually spelled. Spelling is a huge pet peeve for me too!

This is the thing... We are only on for three nights so normally I would not want to do a special dining and I don't really want to miss out on one of the dining rooms ( esp animators palate) but it's our anniversary while on the ship. Our second night and we have our child with us and my mother in law so I thought it may be nice to have one meal alone since we have someone to watch him

And so rarely dine out that nice and rarely have a meal out alone ( that isn't so fast and super casual)

I was following the way the person wrote this thread but I saw after how it was actually spelled. Spelling is a huge pet peeve for me too!

This is the thing... We are only on for three nights so normally I would not want to do a special dining and I don't really want to miss out on one of the dining rooms ( esp animators palate) but it's our anniversary while on the ship. Our second night and we have our child with us and my mother in law so I thought it may be nice to have one meal alone since we have someone to watch him

And so rarely dine out that nice and rarely have a meal out alone ( that isn't so fast and super casual)

Whatever floats your boat. It is your cruise, do what feels right to you. Palo is $25 per person surcharge and it is appropriate to leave a tip. If you order alcohol, the 15% tip is automatically added to that.

Dinner--basically look nice. A jacket is not required, but a collared shirt is. Ladies, a nice dress or pantsuit. No flip flops (other than the dressy sandal kind), no jeans. Bottom line, dress like you are going to a nice restaurant on land. Allow 90-120 minutes depending on how much you like to linger over coffee or drinks.

If you really want to go "nice," Remy is $75 per person upcharge + tip. It is very similar to Victoria and Albert's at WDW. It makes dinner an experience (allow 2 1/2 - 3 hours), not just a meal!

You are on the Dream, right? Animator's Palate on the Dream is not a big deal. They do the Crush show--like the Turtle Time with Crush at WDW. Your child might like it, but it really is not the greatest thing in the world.

The Wonder is the only ship still doing the original color change show. The Magic has a new color change show and the best version of Animation Magic. The Fantasy has the Crush show and the original version of Animation Magic (unless they updated it to match the Magic). The Crush show is the weakest of the bunch.

Again, my opinion only.

Ok good to know. Someone told me you create a character and then while you are dining they animate it for you. Is that not true?

On the Magic & Fantasy, yes you draw characters and they will be shown at the end of the meal on the screens in the room.

On the Dream & Wonder, they do not have the Animation Magic show.

Whatever floats your boat. It is your cruise' date=' do what feels right to you. Palo is $25 per person surcharge and it is appropriate to leave a tip. If you order alcohol, the 15% tip is automatically added to that.

Dinner--basically look nice. A jacket is not required, but a collared shirt is. Ladies, a nice dress or pantsuit. No flip flops (other than the dressy sandal kind), no jeans. Bottom line, dress like you are going to a nice restaurant on land. Allow 90-120 minutes depending on how much you like to linger over coffee or drinks.

If you really want to go "nice," Remy is $75 per person upcharge + tip. It is very similar to Victoria and Albert's at WDW. It makes dinner an experience (allow 2 1/2 - 3 hours), not just a meal![/quote']

Palo is now $30 per person. The (printed) dress code is the same for brunch and dinner. That being said, brunch tends to be a little less dressy.

From the DCL website:

Dress Code

At Palo, dress pants and shirt or jacket is required for men and a dress or pantsuit is required for women. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/magic/dining/palo/

If you are concerned about missing out on Animator's Palate and have an early seating for dinner, you could do what my wife and I did, which was sit through dinner with our daughter so she could eat, drop her off at the Club, and then go for a 'later' dinner at Palo/Remy.

If you are concerned about missing out on Animator's Palate and have an early seating for dinner, you could do what my wife and I did, which was sit through dinner with our daughter so she could eat, drop her off at the Club, and then go for a 'later' dinner at Palo/Remy.

This works, but means you miss the theatre show. They have a grandma on the trip to watch their son, so no worries.

Thanks, Shmoo...yes, I forgot about the recent price change for Palo.