Advice on how to get to Ambergris Caye

stallcruise

We are cruising on the Glory on 10/10/15 and have heard that Belize city is not that exciting. I also do not want to ride on a bus for 90 minutes to go cave tubing. I have heard GREAT things about Ambergris Caye and was wondering if anyone knows any local companies that will just provide boat ride to and from. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

If anyone else has ideas on Belize excursions, I am happy to hear about those as well!

Jenny

We are cruising on the Glory on 10/10/15 and have heard that Belize city is not that exciting. I also do not want to ride on a bus for 90 minutes to go cave tubing. I have heard GREAT things about Ambergris Caye and was wondering if anyone knows any local companies that will just provide boat ride to and from. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

If anyone else has ideas on Belize excursions, I am happy to hear about those as well!

Jenny

On my very 1st cruise I had the opportunity to do a Carnival excursion to Ambergris Cay. I got picked up from the ship by the excursion ship and we went directly to Ambergris and snorkeled in the real Shark Ray Alley. Had lunch on shore and then we went directly back to ship. I believe it was an 8 hour trip altogether.

Now, you have to tender to the port and I wouldn't attempt to take a boat to Ambergris from there, because of the time issue. I've heard some people go to the local airport and puddle jump over on a small aircraft, but that gets pricey. It's actually the way we went for a week's stay on "Isla Bonita" after flying in from New York.

It may not be Ambergris, but the next best thing is to visit Caulker Cay, a smaller version of Ambergris. It doesn't have the reef setting that Ambergris does, but they can attract nurse sharks and sting rays for you to frolic with. That can be done independently or through the cruise line, after tendering in both cases.

I don't think you have enough time to take the boat over and back. It is 75 minutes each way.

By Boat -- Regularly scheduled boats ply the route between Belize City and Ambergris Caye. All leave from somewhere near the Swing Bridge. Most boats leave directly from the Marine Terminal, which is located right on North Front Street just over the Swing Bridge; and the boats are associated with the Caye Caulker Water Taxi Association (tel. 223-5752; http://www.cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com). Most are open speedboats with one or two very powerful engines. Most carry between 20 and 30 passengers, and make the trip in about 75 minutes. Almost all of these boats drop off and pick up passengers in Caye Caulker on their way, and on St. George's Caye and/or Caye Chapel when there's demand. If you're going to Ambergris from Caye Caulker, or either St. George's Caye or Caye Chapel, these boats will pick you up. Find out at the Marine Terminal just where and when they stop. The schedule is subject to change, but boats for Ambergris Caye leave the Marine Terminal roughly every 90 minutes beginning at 8am, with the last boat leaving at 4:30pm. The fare is BZ$20 (US$10/£5.30) one-way, BZ$40 (US$20/£11) round-trip between Belize City and Ambergris Caye; and BZ$15 (US$7.50/£4) one-way between Caye Caulker and San Pedro.

It is possible to purchase a seat in advance by visiting the Marine Terminal personally. This is a good idea in the high season, although in most cases, you'll need to purchase the ticket in cash upfront. Some Belize City hotels provide this service or can get you a confirmed reservation by phone.

Probably faster to take the plane. Maya Air and Tropic Air fly between Belize City and San Pedro (the town on Ambergris Caye). It is about a 25 minute flight.

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/ambergris-caye/274498#ixzz3lCjYLoeC

Edited by DebJ14

• 1 month later...
I found a tour company that does a flight.

Price is very reasonable' date=' as I have also researched doing the flight independently.

The company is called exotic belize day trips.

It is the private tour to san pedro.[/quote']

What is the cost of the flight?

• 2 weeks later...

We used Eco Tours Belize to fly to Ambergris Caye for a snorkel trip. It was about a 15 minute ride from the tender pier to the airport. The actual time in the air was only about 15 minutes, and it was beautiful seeing the reef stretching into the distance. The plane sat about 12 people IIRC.

There were people on the plane from our ship just flying over for a day visit. It is about a five minute walk through town to the beach where we got on our boat to the reef. There were several casual restaurants along the beach. We didn't get to see much else of the town but it looked like a fun place to explore.

The 3:00 flight from San Pedro was very popular with people trying to get back to their ships, so my advice is to plan ahead.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Has anyone recently taken an excursion over to Ambergris Caye? I notice that Shore Trips offers one. Really don't want to do it on our own.

We did it in Oct 2015.

It is super easy.

No need for a middle man.

Just book a flight.

Walk off the ship and take a very short taxi ride to the airport.

• 3 years later...

On the tour's you get off at the island and walk to a boat that takes you out to the reef to snorkel. So if you are doing all of this on your own and you get to the island how do you get a boat to go snorkeling if that's what you want to do?