Chocolates on pillows?

Neither of us ever eat the chocolates and we don't bother with towel animals either, so wouldn't miss either of these tbh. We do thank the steward for making the towel animals, but it is not necessary for us.

You don't eat the chocolate :O :O It's the highlight of our evening ;)

I love the chocolates and the animals and even though I think I will keep my chocolates and eat them in one big chocolate frenzy on the last night of the cruise I never do, I always have them on the night, even more calories to "burn off" when I get home.

Molly

Edited by Mollythedolly

Yes the chocs were yet another cutback :( We were on the dream last 2 weeks in Feb. We had no chocs at all the first week. The second week we had them from Wed onwards. So in 2 weeks we had 4 chocs and 1 towel animal. :(

Something else I missed were the cocktail stirrers and the little sticks for cocktail cherries. I asked about these and one of the waiters went into the store room and came back with some in packets. They actually come packed with one stirrer and one cherry stick in a plastic packet. It was nice to have a few as souvenirs but would have been even better to have had them in my drink preferably with a cherry on. I missed not getting fruit on my glass too this only happened once out of all the cocktails we ordered.

we had chocs everynight....no towel animals tho

I found out that chocs are supplied by the stewards (not by thomsons) they have to buy them...in fact, the stewards are kind off self employed....they are paid per cabin if they need an assistant (from housekeeping) to help them...then they need to pay that assistant out of their own pockets....they can agree how many cabins they think they can do per day (if they employ an assistant they can do more cabins and possibly make more money)....they also make profits on the mini bar (buy wholesale from thoms and sell at retail)...interesting eh?

I found out that chocs are supplied by the stewards (not by thomsons) they have to buy them...in fact, the stewards are kind off self employed....they are paid per cabin if they need an assistant (from housekeeping) to help them...then they need to pay that assistant out of their own pockets....they can agree how many cabins they think they can do per day (if they employ an assistant they can do more cabins and possibly make more money)....they also make profits on the mini bar (buy wholesale from thoms and sell at retail)...interesting eh?

:eek:

That is shocking! So we're getting things like chocolate in the cabin as it is our cabin steward paying for them for us. That's outrageous!!!

How can Thomson do this? Is this the same for Spirit and Majesty do we think? It certainly explains why they seem to be doing more cabins these days.

yes...quite shocking....but from what i have gleaned, this has always been the situation in the cruise industry for cabin stewards

they leave chocolates, little decorations at christmas/easter etc and towel animals because it encourages tipping and they are v much reliant on tips

so my question would be.....tips are included on thoms....how does that work re the stewards?

Who told you that? That is dreadful. Next thing they will be buying the toiletries.

the steward...and not just one of them I asked a couple of others too just to double check I had understood the situation correctly

all sounds a bit strange but probably irrelevant when the management regime changes

yes...quite shocking....but from what i have gleaned, this has always been the situation in the cruise industry for cabin stewards

they leave chocolates, little decorations at christmas/easter etc and towel animals because it encourages tipping and they are v much reliant on tips

so my question would be.....tips are included on thoms....how does that work re the stewards?

I am totally shocked to think the stewards have to buy the chocolates. It is a little luxury associated with cruising, someone turns the sheets back and puts a chocolate on your pillow. What seemed a small detail has really become a major issue. It would be nice to hear from Thomson on this to put the matter to rest. If the stewards have to pay for the chocolates then they should go. Surely my fare will cover the cost of a few chocolates. I certainly don't want the steward to pay.

Come on Thomson, please set the record straight on this one.

Sweby

Of course it could be that this is completely normal across all lines and that this is taken into account when offered/accepting the job. Although thomson offer a non tip cruise, we automatically gave our fantastic room stewards a generous tip to reflect how satisfied we were with them. Although this was our first cruise we have several friends who have been using Thomson's for many years and all tip their stewards.

Of course it could be that this is completely normal across all lines and that this is taken into account when offered/accepting the job.

Exactly what our cabin stewardess told us.

Despite Thomsons including tips in the price, we wouldn' t dream of not tipping for good cabin service - similar in the restaurant.