noumea zoo

We have been to the zoo. It isn't like zoos in Australia. Don't expect lions and tigers - the animals are all indigenous and are housed in the Parc Zoologique et Forestier. We found it interesting, but I wouldn't say it is a "must see". The most interesting exhibit was the cagou, a bird unique to New Caledonia and the one that is on the logo of the country. We went by taxi and when we came out we caught another taxi to go the aquarium. From there we went by public bus back to the ship.

I feel the aquarium is probably a better attraction unless you have a particular interest in the birds and animals of New Caledonia.

Another place we found interesting is the Museum of New Caledonia that has exhibits on the history and culture of the kanak people. This museum is in the Latin quarter.

The Museum of Noumea (in the old Town Hall beside Coconut Square) covers the European history of Noumea. Unfortunately all the captions are in French. We didn't find this as interesting as the Museum of N.C.

The exterior of the Tjibaou Cultural Centre is superb and really worth seeing, but we didn't find the exhibits inside of much interest. It mainly consisted of present-day paintings.

If you are going to do it, do it as our two older boys did as the ships tour as the Segway and not by walking as hubby, myself and younger son did in the hope of seeing them. As a poster said above, it is not a traditional zoo. My boys loved it, but that was the Segway part. The three of us found it tiring and not much to see at all.