Corkage Charge

Charleyben

Am I correct in saying that the corkage charge for P & O ships is now £15?

If this is right, it has been increased by £4 and is now higher than some of the bottles of wine that they sell!!

Is it me or is this P & O not wanting people taking their own wine into their restaurants?

I know that other lines do have higher corkage charges but they do not price any of their wine less than the corkage charge.

I quite enjoy sampling local wines and enjoying some with dinner.

It's fair to say that the selection of wine on P & O is pretty good and I always purchase at least one of the Commodore's packages but it is a pleasant change to sample a good local wine when you find one.

It is not relevant whether someone might not understand why someone needs to take wine into the restaurant suffice to say that some people do.

I just find the corkage policy is somewhat bizarre.

• 2 weeks later...

The wine for sale in the MDR is drinkable and it is a shame the corkage fee has gone up.

Generally for dinner we buy from the wine menu but occasionally it is nice to buy (particularly in the Med) a bottle which may cost £20 locally, which would cost £40 back home in a store or £60/£70 on the ship and even with the corkage fee is good value.

Edited by richleeds

I don't see the cost to be that steep to be honest. At the end of the day P&O is a business who need to make money - I can't think of any decent hotel I've ever been to anywhere where you can take your own wine, purchased elsewhere into the restaurant for a meal without having to pay a corkage fee. (£25 at the last hotel)

A lot of places in Australia do BYO (bring your own) but I agree P & O is a business and they should make money corkage after all it's what we do in the UK and what a lot of us like about P & O is the Britishness.

You are never charged corkage at a pub - they just kick you out.

Love the comment --- nothing about being British. :)

When we were on holiday in Italy we couldn't even bring a bottle of wine in to our hotel to drink in our room. There was an old man who sat at Reception who watched everyone when they picked up their keys just to check they had nothing in a carrier bag!!