Just returned from The Windspirit in Tahiti

"Wandering Wino's&quo

After more then a year of some of us sharing and planning for the return of a Windstar ship to Tahiti here on cc, my husband and I completed our dream cruise last week aboard the Windspirit with 3 days prior at the Hilton on Moorea OWB.

Tahiti is everything that I had read about this beautiful area of the world. We had a wonderful time both on land and on the ship. Someone on our roll call yesterday asked for a review from us on the cruise. I posted some thoughts on the Roll Call area and thought I would share them with you on this thread.

The cruise of course was wonderful, made that way because of the staff and of course the beauty of Tahiti.

We had many great adventures. Some of the standouts were the the beach party on Tahaa and the celebration on Bora Bora.

Without taking away from those fun memories I will share a few things that were somewhat of a disappointment.

1.The cabins looked tired and in need of a complete re-due.

2. The Yacht Club Benefits were a joke. Upgrades at check in were only made available after sail-away. Come on after you have unpacked and put everything away you are going to repack and move to another cabin, don't think so. I should mention that on check in I inquired to the fullness of the ship and was told it was certainly not full. When we asked about an upgrade we were given the run around, told to ask someone else who in turn told us to ask someone else, finally finding someone that told us after sail away they would let us know if there was any available upgrades. Never heard from anyone. Dining with an officer. Told that only 2 officers were available each evening for guest to dine with. Of course that limited that benefit to a very few people. We did dine with the captain but only because our friends that were traveling with us had made a special contact with the reception desk about another issue and they had been invited to the Captain Table. Since we were traveling together they were able to secure an invitation for us. Keep in mind we have sailed on the Windstar ship more than our friends, so the excuse that the invitations were sent to those who had sailed the most didn't hold much water.

4. Stay away from cabin 119. We had picked this cabin because it was mid-ship. If you don't like vibration don't pick this cabin. All night and some of the day the cabin vibrated, it sounded like a bowling ball rolling across the deck and then a short silence and then it rolled again and again.

5. Glass bottom boat tour, waste of time and money.

Please don't for one minute think that we didn't enjoy this cruise because there were so many outstanding moments that were wonderful, unfortunately there were also some experiences that were not up to what we expect from Windstar Cruises.

The true midship cabins are actually 131 and 132. 119 is just in the middle of the cabins. There is much more bow ahead of the cabins than there is stern behind. We always stay in 131 or 132 and have never been bothered by the noises that you experienced. Next time, try to book a bit closer to the bow. Maybe it will be quieter. Thanks for the heads up, however.

We were on the last Panama/Costa Rica cruise before the Wind Spirit embarked for Tahiti. The interior of our cabin was a bit ragged as well. The staff, however, was truly incredible, as always!

The true midship cabins are actually 131 and 132. 119 is just in the middle of the cabins. There is much more bow ahead of the cabins than there is stern behind. We always stay in 131 or 132 and have never been bothered by the noises that you experienced. Next time, try to book a bit closer to the bow. Maybe it will be quieter. Thanks for the heads up, however.

We were on the last Panama/Costa Rica cruise before the Wind Spirit embarked for Tahiti. The interior of our cabin was a bit ragged as well. The staff, however, was truly incredible, as always!

Not sure but I think you might be referring to the Windsurf and not the Windspirit. Cabin 121 seems to be the cabin in the very middle of the ship and 119 our cabin was right next door to that cabin. Let me know.

Edited by "Wandering Wino's"

Not sure but I think you might be referring to the Windsurf and not the Windspirit. Cabin 121 seems to be the cabin in the very middle of the ship and 119 our cabin was right next door to that cabin. Let me know.

Checking the deck plan of the Spirit I see that 121/122 appear to be mid-ship with cabin 119 next to 121. The reason we always book mid-ship is incase of rough seas' date=' that was not an issue on this cruise. We did have rock and roll the 1st night but I kind of like being rocked to sleep.

My guess is that the gang plank used for passengers to board the tenders was right outside our port hole and maybe when they stored it after use that is what caused the vibration and rolling sounds.

On these boards people are always asking for suggestions regarding cabin choices and I thought it important that I shared this 1st hand experience regarding cabin 119 on the Windspirit with everyone as that's what CC is all about, gaining useful information on cruising from other members. Our traveling companions in 118 experienced no vibration so the location on the ship didn't seem to play into the issue only something near our cabin probably was the issue.

Hope this information is helpful to those planning a cruise and picking a cabin on the Windspirit.

Shirley

[/size']

Isn't French Polynesia breathtaking? We are just back from 10 days on the Paul Gauguin - it's our fourth trip and we are already planning to return in3-4 years.

I'm wondering if Windspirit passengers had access to a private motu when the ship is in Bora Bora? I'd be interested to hear what that setup is like if that is the case.

Thanks!

Yes, French Polynesia is remarkable. We had a great motu evening picnic and during the day the motu was available to go to, to swim and snorkel off of Bora Bora. We had a Tahitian dinner and fire dancing which was incredible. We also had a motu day on Tahaa which had a lunch, thst was also wonderful. We felt Windstar pulled out everything for our cruise, adored every second. Beautiful part pf the world.

Hi, Firstly in response to avalong mosquitoes, I am highly allergic to mosquitoes and I brought along serious sprays to ward off the mosquitoes that I heard about re Tahiti, on both motus not a one and if there were they would have found me believe me. As for PG how irresponsible and ridiculous, there are 100's of Motus in the Polynesian lagoon and you mean to tell me the two the Windstar go on are the only ones with mosquitoes, that is a bit nuts. I know there is a season for mosquitoes but you are on the water surrounded by water in a hige ocean and always a breeze, so I think, because I live in the North East mosquitoes heaven if there is a breeze no mosquitoes.

Cruising Librarian: I went on the first Tahitian Cruise last May, we crossed the Pacific with the Wind Spririt and then did the cruise! it was all magnificent so say the least and I did write review and posted it with CC. The Marina is open all the time at anchor with the exception when the weather conditions make it un safe and when they dock. It was open all the days it could be when we took the cruise and it is wonderful swimming, written from so one who adores to swim. it is safe and very well managed. I am a great swimmer, a strong swimmer but I always wear a life jacket off the ship because there are currents. I have to say the crew who manages the marina it is safety first. I have been on the ocean my entire life and have a deep respect for the might of the ocean and cruise across the Pacific was as calm as baby bath water, the same for Tahiti but there are always currents. So life jacket for me whether it is needed or not. It is great swimming off the back. This cruise was great, and a perfect way to experience Polynesia. Have fun. Our next 2 cruises with Windstar are Jan. 10th BVI's and in August Tall Ships can not wait. Happy Sailing all. Susanne

The word on the Paul Gauguin board is that the Windstar motu has mosquitos. I'm not sure if they were referring to the one at Tahaa or Bora Bora. Did you find this to be the case? If so, on Tahaa or Bora Bora (or both)?

:DThat's so funny Just thinking about the mosquitos all agreeing to only live on the motu's that are used by Windstar. On the serious side while I took precaution by applying mosquito repellent prior to going over to the motus in Tahaa and Bora Bora not sure if it was really necessary. No one at our table mentioned any issues with mosquitos either times. In fact we didn't have any encounters with bugs during our entire 12 day stay in the FP Islands.

Hope this helps.

Shirley

The word on the Paul Gauguin board is that the Windstar motu has mosquitos. I'm not sure if they were referring to the one at Tahaa or Bora Bora. Did you find this to be the case? If so, on Tahaa or Bora Bora (or both)?

After 6 Windstar cruises, we did the Gauguin in late April 2014. Loved Tahiti, didn't care for the cruise line. Food poor, service not nearly what Windstar provided. Perhaps it was hyped so much before by what I had read. I don't remember a mosquito bite.