Cozumel with 8 year old

capricorn548

So snorkeling at Chankanaab is out because of the dolphins. :(

Lots of private snorkel tours that will take you to the reefs on a catamaran or similar boat; we used Eagle Ray a couple of years ago and were happy.

You can taxi to the Money Bar (about $10), where they rent gear and offer guides if you need them; good snorkeling from the shore, plus good facilities.

None of the beach clubs will offer great snorkeling from the shore - the sand and waves cloud the water and the fish need rocks and reefs to thrive.

Money Bar is a good option if you want to snorkel on your own.

If not, I would book one of the catamaran snorkel tours. It is easier getting on and off the boat as Cozumel shoreline has lots of dead coral-rocks and waves to deal with.

Thank you! Are there any other places you recommend for snorkeling? I was hoping to go to one of these famous reefs, but not sure if I want to snorkel with him above 15-20 feet in depth if that is even possible? Do any of you have experience with El cielo and maybe one of their sunset tours? Is that basically a party boat for adults?

Thank you! Are there any other places you recommend for snorkeling? I was hoping to go to one of these famous reefs, but not sure if I want to snorkel with him above 15-20 feet in depth if that is even possible? Do any of you have experience with El cielo and maybe one of their sunset tours? Is that basically a party boat for adults?

Cozumel is famous for its reefs, but only for scuba diving. All the great reefs are 60' deep or more. You aren't going to see them snorkeling.

I was recommending the catamaran tour as if this is your child's first snorkeling experience, you want it to be fun. You don't want the first to be the last.

Never forget my Coz snorkel boat excursion. I was attempting to get back into boat and kept getting dragged back and under. 3 of the boat guys dove in to pull me up. Some rum punch and I was fine. Asked the guys if this was common. All the time as answer. Not for kids.

Never forget my Coz snorkel boat excursion. I was attempting to get back into boat and kept getting dragged back and under. 3 of the boat guys dove in to pull me up. Some rum punch and I was fine. Asked the guys if this was common. All the time as answer. Not for kids.

And was that a catamaran with an internal step-type ladder?

Were you wearing a floatation vest?

Thank you for this input, even though we are bringing his life vest I don't want this to be a scary experience for him. Can I ask you which side of the island you were on? I have read that the North and East sides are not as calm as the south west sides.

I was thinking of maybe doing Mr. Sanchos because of all the things to do, does anyone have any better ideas or input on that? Thank you for all of your help!

Thank you for this input, even though we are bringing his life vest I don't want this to be a scary experience for him. Can I ask you which side of the island you were on? I have read that the North and East sides are not as calm as the south west sides.

I was thinking of maybe doing Mr. Sanchos because of all the things to do, does anyone have any better ideas or input on that? Thank you for all of your help!

Most of the popular beach clubs are lined up along the same (west) side of the island.

http://www.cruisemaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/cozumel_map.jpg

Mr. Sanchos or Paradise Beach are good options - both will offer a separate snorkel tour for about $30-35 each; usually about 90 minutes and they stop at 2-3 spots before returning you to the beach. If he is a strong swimmer he'll get a kick out of the water toys (extra fee :() while you enjoy one more margarita. :cool:

What about punta sur? Also are there any places that are as good as mr sanchos as far as things to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am not experienced with punta sur :confused:

Mr. Sanchos is a large beach club with lots of facilities, water toys, and other options. All-inclusive for about $50 each -- while it appeals to my 20 something daughters I am not sure it would be my first choice for an 8 year old.

Strong swimmer - I would go to Paradise Beach. Still have the water toys, etc, but not AI and tends to be a bit more family friendly compared to the lively atmosphere at Mr. S.

Not a strong swimmier -- look at Playa Mia; variety of packages, nice beach, lots of families, kiddie water park.

• 3 weeks later...
Most of the popular beach clubs are lined up along the same (west) side of the island.

http://www.cruisemaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/cozumel_map.jpg

Mr. Sanchos or Paradise Beach are good options - both will offer a separate snorkel tour for about $30-35 each; usually about 90 minutes and they stop at 2-3 spots before returning you to the beach. If he is a strong swimmer he'll get a kick out of the water toys (extra fee :() while you enjoy one more margarita. :cool:

My son is 9 and a strong swimmer. He wants to do the water toys but I don't. How far out are they? I am looking at PB and mr Sanchos and it looks like mr Sanchos is closer to the beach. I want to be able to see him al all times

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken our kids to Mr. Sanchos and the Money Bar. My youngest was 6. They love to snorkel, so they preferred the money bar until the jelly fish showed up. They were small and didn't hurt much. I had been there before and never saw jelly fish. I'm not sure if it's common there or not. Mr Sanchos was not good for snorkeling but very safe for swimming and jumping on stuff.

I've taken our kids to Mr. Sanchos and the Money Bar. My youngest was 6. They love to snorkel, so they preferred the money bar until the jelly fish showed up. They were small and didn't hurt much. I had been there before and never saw jelly fish. I'm not sure if it's common there or not. Mr Sanchos was not as good for snorkeling but very safe for swimming and jumping on stuff. The staff was also very friendly.

We've been to Cozumel many, many times with our kids.

Generally speaking, you won't see much sealife close to shore. You need to get farther out to the reefs to see much.

When they were 6, we took them out on a boat snorkeling trip (can't remember now which company we used, but we met them at the marina). My kids are strong swimmers and they had no trouble with the snorkeling, but there was a middle-aged man on our boat who did. The divemaster ended up having to go tow him back to the boat. There was a bit of a current on the surface and as long as you stayed calm and did what the divemasters said to do.....float with the current, we'll bring the boat to pick you up.....everything was fine. This man didn't stay calm and ended up panicking, etc. Once he was back on the boat, he was fine, but he didn't want to go back in again. So, if you aren't completely comfortable in open water, a snorkeling trip in Cozumel may or may not be your best bet.

We've also taken our kids to Mr Sanchos many, many times and we all love it there. The kids LOVE the water toys. Usually my husband and I are out there with them, but it's inevitable that they want to be out there all day and we get tired. Our rule was just that if we're not out there with you, you have to wear a life jacket. They have free life jackets to use there if you want them. I've never felt uncomfortable with the kids at Mr Sanchos. Yes, people are drinking, but to me, it doesn't feel like a party atmosphere. There are usually lots of kids there, as well as adults. The food is good - mostly mexican, with a few american things thrown on the menu for those who won't eat the local stuff.

We've never been to Paradise Beach and I was considering that for our next trip, but the food menu is putting me off. It's almost all american food, with a handful of mexican things. When in Mexico, I want mexican food, not burgers!!!!