Guides for Munich and Berlin and which concentration camp

We are going to be visiting both Berlin and Munich for two days each post cruise. I didn't want to be rushed in Berlin with the 13 hour excursion. I would love some recommendations on tour guides for each city. Also for people who have been to the concentration camp outside of Berlin as well as the one outside of Munich which one was the most informative?

We are going to be visiting both Berlin and Munich for two days each post cruise. I didn't want to be rushed in Berlin with the 13 hour excursion. I would love some recommendations on tour guides for each city. Also for people who have been to the concentration camp outside of Berlin as well as the one outside of Munich which one was the most informative?

Dachau outside or Munich has a memorial and a few remaining (or rebuilt) buildings. Dachau was not an extermination camp and is probably well known mostly because it was liberated by US forces. The information is well presented.

I haven't been to the camp outside of Berlin (it has a long name). I understand that although it was a relatively minor camp there are a large number of preserved and rebuilt structures that makes it worth visiting.

Dachau outside or Munich has a memorial and a few remaining (or rebuilt) buildings. Dachau was not an extermination camp and is probably well known mostly because it was liberated by US forces. The information is well presented.

I haven't been to the camp outside of Berlin (it has a long name). I understand that although it was a relatively minor camp there are a large number of preserved and rebuilt structures that makes it worth visiting.

from what I have been reading I think Berlin is the one to visit, I am thinking of doing that, top of terror, the brick that is left of the wall etc. Still need to find a good guide

If you are only allocating 2 days to Berlin and plan spending some of that time outside the city visiting a concentration camp you'll end up feeling just as rushed as if you did a 13 hour excursion from Warnemunde. Berlin is huge, decentralized and has a multitude of places to visit. The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe in Berlin has a first rate information center attached, you would not even have to leave Berlin. Also, the Pergamon Museum needs more than a glance of a visit.

If you could allocate three days to each city, with a day trip to Dachau from Munich, you would get a better sense of each city.

Edited by buggins0402

It is not possible i only have four days post cruise total. I don't want to skip Munich as i want to see the castle and my husband wants to eat Bavarian food. The reason i am looking for a guide is so i can get the best quality experience. Certainly two days there is better than a 13 hour trip from port. I will just have to prioritize.

It is not possible i only have four days post cruise total. I don't want to skip Munich as i want to see the castle and my husband wants to eat Bavarian food. The reason i am looking for a guide is so i can get the best quality experience. Certainly two days there is better than a 13 hour trip from port. I will just have to prioritize.

Which castle? Neuschwanstein?

Neuschwanstein is a new castle built as a hunting lodge circa 1864. It is like a Hollywood idea of a medieval castle. (its basically the same age as the Eiffel Tower)

You might want to have a look at Linderhof, its more opulent and is where he lived the last years of his life. A mini Versailles actually and very lovely.

If you want to do Neuschwanstein, you would be better off staying in Fuessen, easy to navigate the train from there to the palace. ALSO right in that area is Hohenschwangau, which is the boyhood home of Ludwig. It was built in the 12th century and then fell into ruins until Ludwig's father bought it rebuilt making it the family's summer home. These two palaces are just across the valley from each other.

We lived in Bavaria for four years and have been to Berlin, Munich as well as Dachau as well as most of the cities in Southern Germany. Also, we did a tour of Poland and visited Auschwitz.

I suggest skipping concentration camps near Berlin and Munich. You have a limited time and there is much to see in both cities. Dachau is a bit outside the burbs of Munich and it will take some time just to get there and back. Also, there is not much to see there.

I do recommend visiting Auschwitz, which is in south central Poland. If you go to Krakow, it is not real far away. Be prepared for a chilling experience. My DW had nightmares after our visit there.

Neuschwanstein is a new castle built as a hunting lodge circa 1864. It is like a Hollywood idea of a medieval castle. (its basically the same age as the Eiffel Tower)

You might want to have a look at Linderhof, its more opulent and is where he lived the last years of his life. A mini Versailles actually and very lovely.

If you want to do Neuschwanstein, you would be better off staying in Fuessen, easy to navigate the train from there to the palace. ALSO right in that area is Hohenschwangau, which is the boyhood home of Ludwig. It was built in the 12th century and then fell into ruins until Ludwig's father bought it rebuilt making it the family's summer home. These two palaces are just across the valley from each other.

Thanks for the tip I'll go look up that other castle now!

I've been not to Dachau, but have been to Sachsenhausen (that's the one in Berlin) and I've been to Neuschwanstein (and of course to Munich and Berlin). It's already a good decision to do it pre-cruise and not with the 13 hours excursion.

About Neuschwanstein, you'll need a whole day for this trip, but it's a iconic sight like Mount Rushmore in the USA, Matterhorn in Switzerland or Ayers Rock in Australia. More Information about the palace you'll find here:

http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/index.htm

As you will spend a whole day to do this, I recommend to save your other day in Munich to see the numerous sights inside the city, but you have to choose as there are more then you can see in just one day. Go up the Olympic Tower, walk through the Oldtown, Hofbräuhaus, maybe English Garden...(if the weather is rainy the "Deutsche Museum" is great).

Berlin on the other hand is much bigger and there are much more sights to see. Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp is in the outskirts of Berlin and you'll need half a day for that sight, so if you really want to do it then this is the place, but you will missing time to see the other sights in Berlin.

As you seem interested in the history of the 20th century there are some major sights in the center of Berlin like the Eastside Gallery (Berlin Wall), the memorial Berlin Wall at Bernauer Strasse, the "Topography of Terror" which is located where Gestapo-HQ was, the holocaust Memorial (near Brandenburger Gate) and, and, and....

As for guides: The public transport in both cities are great. But if you're more comfortable and can afford a guide you should contact the tourism bureau of the cities:

http://www.berlin.de/en/tourism/guides/

http://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/home_en/Tourist-Office#

As you will be on a cruise probably in Warnemünde or Travemünde you might look if there is a tour to see Pennemünde (where the first rocket was shot in space, during WW II).

I've been not to Dachau, but have been to Sachsenhausen (that's the one in Berlin) and I've been to Neuschwanstein (and of course to Munich and Berlin). It's already a good decision to do it pre-cruise and not with the 13 hours excursion.

About Neuschwanstein, you'll need a whole day for this trip, but it's a iconic sight like Mount Rushmore in the USA, Matterhorn in Switzerland or Ayers Rock in Australia. More Information about the palace you'll find here:

http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/index.htm

As you will spend a whole day to do this, I recommend to save your other day in Munich to see the numerous sights inside the city, but you have to choose as there are more then you can see in just one day. Go up the Olympic Tower, walk through the Oldtown, Hofbräuhaus, maybe English Garden...(if the weather is rainy the "Deutsche Museum" is great).

Berlin on the other hand is much bigger and there are much more sights to see. Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp is in the outskirts of Berlin and you'll need half a day for that sight, so if you really want to do it then this is the place, but you will missing time to see the other sights in Berlin.

As you seem interested in the history of the 20th century there are some major sights in the center of Berlin like the Eastside Gallery (Berlin Wall), the memorial Berlin Wall at Bernauer Strasse, the "Topography of Terror" which is located where Gestapo-HQ was, the holocaust Memorial (near Brandenburger Gate) and, and, and....

As for guides: The public transport in both cities are great. But if you're more comfortable and can afford a guide you should contact the tourism bureau of the cities:

http://www.berlin.de/en/tourism/guides/

http://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/home_en/Tourist-Office#

As you will be on a cruise probably in Warnemünde or Travemünde you might look if there is a tour to see Pennemünde (where the first rocket was shot in space, during WW II).

Thank you for the advise- gosh the castle looks amazing! I do think you are correct that perhaps my time might be better spent focusing on Berlin than using a half a day to view the concentration camp. I am fascinated by history I wish we had more time in Germany but 15 days was all we could travel at this time. We will be stopping in Warnemünde so I will check into the rocket launch area. I am very glad that we decided to do Berlin separately and am hoping that I will find something exciting to do in port while half of the ship heads out to Berlin.

We lived in Bavaria for four years and have been to Berlin, Munich as well as Dachau as well as most of the cities in Southern Germany. Also, we did a tour of Poland and visited Auschwitz.

I suggest skipping concentration camps near Berlin and Munich. You have a limited time and there is much to see in both cities. Dachau is a bit outside the burbs of Munich and it will take some time just to get there and back. Also, there is not much to see there.

I do recommend visiting Auschwitz, which is in south central Poland. If you go to Krakow, it is not real far away. Be prepared for a chilling experience. My DW had nightmares after our visit there.

Papa, where else would you recommend for a Poland trip, with Krakow (Auschwitz) and Warsaw. Wrocklaw, Gdansk or a Lot flight to Budapest (we've been to the last - but didn't allocate enough time)???

I have given your advice a lot of thought and I think you are right. With so little time I think we will skip the concentration camp. I will have to return again when we have more time.

I have given your advice a lot of thought and I think you are right. With so little time I think we will skip the concentration camp. I will have to return again when we have more time.

You might consider staying near the Brandenburg Gate area in Berlin (note: hotels there are pricey in Berlin terms - but overall, Berlin hotel prices are much more reasonable than most major cities). You would be very close to the Holocaust Memorial - the information center attached is really very good. It would really free you up for other sites in Berlin. And, Unter den Linden would be right there, to get a sense of Berlin's ambiance.

You might consider staying near the Brandenburg Gate area in Berlin (note: hotels there are pricey in Berlin terms - but overall, Berlin hotel prices are much more reasonable than most major cities). You would be very close to the Holocaust Memorial - the information center attached is really very good. It would really free you up for other sites in Berlin. And, Unter den Linden would be right there, to get a sense of Berlin's ambiance.

Do you have any recommendations hotel wise? I was just looking at the Melia Berlin. I am toying with possibly having our son join us. He graduates college in May and has a love of history. Although that would entail me getting him and a friend a cabin air and hotel rooms. I will see how the year plays out. I have enough miles left to cover the long haul portion of the air.

Do you have any recommendations hotel wise? I was just looking at the Melia Berlin. I am toying with possibly having our son join us. He graduates college in May and has a love of history. Although that would entail me getting him and a friend a cabin air and hotel rooms. I will see how the year plays out. I have enough miles left to cover the long haul portion of the air.

Hmmm, now that it's two rooms, the Adlon would probably be out. :) The middle of Unter den Linden is pretty tore up right now with Ubahn construction (or from my web searches it still appears to be). The Sofitol is in a really good area - you might check reviews on Tripadvisor how much the construction would impact a stay there. RadissonBlu is just east of Museum Island (which is a nice area). But, walking Unter den Linden west to Brandenburg would put you through the construction. The Westin is also in a nice location - but I think it's near ground zero for the construction (if I recall correctly - we were there last May).

We stayed in the west part of the city - but we had transportation passes and made good use of them.

Papa, where else would you recommend for a Poland trip, with Krakow (Auschwitz) and Warsaw. Wrocklaw, Gdansk or a Lot flight to Budapest (we've been to the last - but didn't allocate enough time)???

We visited several cities, most notably Gdansk, Warsaw and Krakow. That was in 1989, and I know the country has modernized a lot since then.

Krakow was our favorite. since it was not damaged in WWII.

Gdansk was interesting because of Solidarity. Warsaw was 99 percent destroyed in WWII but we still enjoyed our visit there. We went to a Chopin concert, saw the old Jewish Ghetto area and the White House (where President lives), among other things.

Also, we stopped at a monastery to see the famous Black Madonna of Chesthova (spelling?) That was interesting, but we could have skipped that.

Auschwitz was chilling. Much of the bigger camp was destroyed, but there were buildings there with rooms filled with human hair, luggage, eye glasses, etc.

We visited several cities, most notably Gdansk, Warsaw and Krakow. That was in 1989, and I know the country has modernized a lot since then.

Krakow was our favorite. since it was not damaged in WWII.

Gdansk was interesting because of Solidarity. Warsaw was 99 percent destroyed in WWII but we still enjoyed our visit there. We went to a Chopin concert, saw the old Jewish Ghetto area and the White House (where President lives), among other things.

Also, we stopped at a monastery to see the famous Black Madonna of Chesthova (spelling?) That was interesting, but we could have skipped that.

Auschwitz was chilling. Much of the bigger camp was destroyed, but there were buildings there with rooms filled with human hair, luggage, eye glasses, etc.

Thanks, Krackow and Warsaw are definites! Krakow definitely sounds like the place to allocate the most days.

I think I'll post a separate message about Gdansk...so many cruisers have been there!

I have been to Dachau twice, and although as a fellow poster said, Auschwitz would be a better alternative, I would encourage everyone to visit one of these camps sometime. Once could have been enough, but I just needed to experience it again.

I am of the Jewish faith and although I did not lose any family during the Holocaust, I know many people who did. Even if you are not Jewish, visiting places like this is a most sobering experience, and, if possible, should be seen by everyone who ever doubted this event ever took place.

I understand Munich and Bavaria are all about fun. I spent 3 years in Germany while in the Air force, and visited Munich many times. Just a wonderful city, If that is what you are looking for, then do the fun and games. Places like Dachau are NOT fun and games. Dachau wasn't considered a regular extermination camp, because they never did gas anyone there, but the gas chambers are there and you can get up close and personal with the ovens they used to burn the bodies.

As I said, I had different reasons for making sure I saw Camps like Dachau. If people think 'it isn't that important' well depends on which side of the fence you view things.

If memory serves, there is a sign as you enter Dachau, that it is here so things like this will never happen again. But with the attitudes that are around today, who knows.

Cheers

Len

Giantsfan,

I agree with your concern about current attitudes. Anti-Semitism is on the rise in Europe, not just because of all the Muslims there.

I can say that the Holocast Museum in Washington, D.C. is excellent, of course it is not the real death camp.

I have been to Dachau twice, and although as a fellow poster said, Auschwitz would be a better alternative, I would encourage everyone to visit one of these camps sometime. Once could have been enough, but I just needed to experience it again.

I am of the Jewish faith and although I did not lose any family during the Holocaust, I know many people who did. Even if you are not Jewish, visiting places like this is a most sobering experience, and, if possible, should be seen by everyone who ever doubted this event ever took place.

I understand Munich and Bavaria are all about fun. I spent 3 years in Germany while in the Air force, and visited Munich many times. Just a wonderful city, If that is what you are looking for, then do the fun and games. Places like Dachau are NOT fun and games. Dachau wasn't considered a regular extermination camp, because they never did gas anyone there, but the gas chambers are there and you can get up close and personal with the ovens they used to burn the bodies.

As I said, I had different reasons for making sure I saw Camps like Dachau. If people think 'it isn't that important' well depends on which side of the fence you view things.

If memory serves, there is a sign as you enter Dachau, that it is here so things like this will never happen again. But with the attitudes that are around today, who knows.

Cheers

Len

One of the reasons I felt driven to see a concentration camp is growing up my best friend's father had numbers tattooed on him. It was never openly discussed and I don't know what camp he had been in but distinctly remember my parents telling me that Mr Lochmann had been taken as a child. He was the only one of his family to survive and was sent to America by a benefactor.

I am going to have to think on this I keep going back and forth. Good thing is I have almost 11 months to figure it out

M

One of the reasons I felt driven to see a concentration camp is growing up my best friend's father had numbers tattooed on him. It was never openly discussed and I don't know what camp he had been in but distinctly remember my parents telling me that Mr Lochmann had been taken as a child. He was the only one of his family to survive and was sent to America by a benefactor.

I am going to have to think on this I keep going back and forth. Good thing is I have almost 11 months to figure it out

M

Believe me, I am not trying to 'push' anyone to see things that they may not want to, especially on vacation.

One thing I will say, I don't know your age, your hometown, your nationality. But when you get old and you look back to remember your vacations, things may blur a bit, but if you ever do visit any of the concentration camps, I can guarantee you will remember that visit for the rest of your life. As others have said, it is a very sobering experience, and there so the world will remember.

Cheers

Len

Believe me, I am not trying to 'push' anyone to see things that they may not want to, especially on vacation.

One thing I will say, I don't know your age, your hometown, your nationality. But when you get old and you look back to remember your vacations, things may blur a bit, but if you ever do visit any of the concentration camps, I can guarantee you will remember that visit for the rest of your life. As others have said, it is a very sobering experience, and there so the world will remember.

Cheers

Len

I will be 53 when we go. Old enough to have studied the horrors in school but too young to have lived contemporary with it other than the numbers on my friend's father. He would be in his 80s now I would imagine assuming he was my parents age.

Cheers

Len

Len,

I completely agree. I don't think I will ever forget what I saw at Dachau and Auschwitz.

When I talk with some young people, I am amazed at how little history they seem to know.

This is one part of history that the World must not forget.