ELISSA/Sea Port Museum vs. Seawolf Park

Ashpalo

We will be cruising out of Galveston on 9/1 and are heading down a day early. I have 3 daughters - ages 7, 8, & 10. For those of you that have gone to Seawolf Park or the ELISSA/Sea Port Museum - which do you think my daughters would like better? I don't think we'll have time to do both, so I wanted some opinions on which would be best.

Last week we went to the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, Fl and I was really surprised that all 3 of my girls liked it so much. I figured that it would be to "boysih" for them, but since they liked it so much I figured that they would enjoy seeing the ships in Galveston.

Thanks for your help/opinions!

Ashley :-)

Would definitely choose the Texas Seaport Museum with the Elissa. There is also a movie in the museum about the finding and restoration of the Elissa. Next door to the museum are two movies (no more than 20 minutes each) about the Great Storm of 1900 and Jean Lafitte the pirate.

The Offshore Drilling rig is also in the same area.

Would definitely choose the Texas Seaport Museum with the Elissa. There is also a movie in the museum about the finding and restoration of the Elissa. Next door to the museum are two movies (no more than 20 minutes each) about the Great Storm of 1900 and Jean Lafitte the pirate.

The Offshore Drilling rig is also in the same area.

We watched the Great Storm and the movie about Jean Laffite a year or so ago - they are both TERRIFIC films!

I'm leaning towards the ELISSA and the Sea Port Museum. Looks like we'll be doing the Duck tours as well. We're gonna have a blast!

Thanks to both you and sross6019 for the input.

hey there everyone!

I, too live in Galveston. I would absolutely recommend the Elissa and the Seaport Museums when compared to Seawolf Park. Seawolf Park is ok if you want to see the submarine and ship on display, but there is not much else there. Plenty of great views, though. It's mostly for fishermen. To really get more bang for your buck, go ride the Bolivar Ferry. It's free and goes right past Seawolf Park. You will also get to see the dolphins in the channel and lots of birds and ships and all sorts of other neat stuff. Nothing beats that price, either! Just remember to leave your car ON THE GALVESTON SIDE and walk onto the ferry. If you choose to drive on, you will have to go to the end of the line on the Bolivar side and may have to wait for more than two or three hours to get on the boat to get back to Galveston.

Also, the Galveston Island Trolleys were taken out of service a few months ago because there are maintenance issues, lack of riders, no money, etc. They replaced the trolley with a bus that looks like a rail car. No more squished pennies!

Hope that helps you!!

Vince

VincePAC@aol.com

Vince, the trolleys pass right in front of my loft. The old fashioned one was running last week. However, every once in a while I may go a day without seeing it. Trust me on this one-that bad boy is so heavy, I feel it before I see it.

Hey there !!

I will take your word on the trolley. I don't live downtown, but I watch the City Council meetings and got my information from that. I am glad to hear that they are still running.

Thanks for the up to date information!

Vince

OUTSTANDING ::)

Old Galveston Historical Foundation Properties:

Elissa, Maritime Museum, Films-1900 Storm etc,

Bishops Palace, Ashton Villa and many others.

Strand Historical Sreet District:

Old Town, Railroad Museum, and Shopping

1894 Grand Opera House : Outstanding

Moody Gardens:

242 acres of botanical beauty and accented by magnificent pyramids that contain a living rainforest, a Texas-sized aquarium and an I-MAX theater and many other things to do.

Schlitterbaun Water Park:

blank.gif

white_dots.gif

WATERPARK FUN ISN''T JUST FOR SUMMER ANYMORE! Splash into one of the Hottest, Coolest Times in Texas! The newest Schlitterbahn park features uphill water coasters, water slides, kid's playgrounds, whitewater rapids, wave pool, hot tubs, plus the Boogie Bahn surf ride. And the exclusive Transportainment river system makes Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark the ultimate family destination. Voted America's #1 Indoor Waterpark!

The Lone Star Flight Museum:

is home to one of the finest collections of restored aircraft and aviation exhibits in the nation. Over 40 restored aircraft are displayed and most are in working condition. The collection includes WWII Fighters, Bombers, Liaison Trainers, and Executive Planes

hey there everyone!

I, too live in Galveston. I would absolutely recommend the Elissa and the Seaport Museums when compared to Seawolf Park. Seawolf Park is ok if you want to see the submarine and ship on display, but there is not much else there. Plenty of great views, though. It's mostly for fishermen. To really get more bang for your buck, go ride the Bolivar Ferry. It's free and goes right past Seawolf Park. You will also get to see the dolphins in the channel and lots of birds and ships and all sorts of other neat stuff. Nothing beats that price, either! Just remember to leave your car ON THE GALVESTON SIDE and walk onto the ferry. If you choose to drive on, you will have to go to the end of the line on the Bolivar side and may have to wait for more than two or three hours to get on the boat to get back to Galveston.

Also, the Galveston Island Trolleys were taken out of service a few months ago because there are maintenance issues, lack of riders, no money, etc. They replaced the trolley with a bus that looks like a rail car. No more squished pennies!

Hope that helps you!!

Vince

VincePAC@aol.com

Great info!!! Thanks! We were thinking about riding the ferry. Great tip about leaving the car behind - I would have never thought about it had you not said something.

I love these boards - you learn so many "insider tips".

Archived