Travel Expense for insurance - airline tickets purchased by mileage

bluejjj

I bought my family's airline tickets using a lot of mileage.

Per an airline policy, if I cancel it 4 days prior to my trip, then I can redeposit it but the cancellation is within 4 days to trip then, it is non-refundable.

For insurance purpose, what value of these mileage do I need to put in for travel expense?

Just in case one of my family would be sick right before the flight then I would not be able to redposit these mileages.

Do I need to add maybe the regular airline ticket price on same flight schedule?

Please, advise me!

Miles have no cash value. The airlines consider this a non revenue ticket and you will not earn miles on a frequent flier ticket.

The most you could do is find a company who will provide coverage for the fees of rebanking the unused miles.

Miles have no cash value. The airlines consider this a non revenue ticket and you will not earn miles on a frequent flier ticket.

The most you could do is find a company who will provide coverage for the fees of rebanking the unused miles.

Just to add one thing, you can insure any taxes/fees that you paid for to get the tickets. Those can add up quickly.

Just to add one thing, you can insure any taxes/fees that you paid for to get the tickets. Those can add up quickly.

But if you cancel the trip, you usually are refunded these fees by the airline.

OP - what airline is that that won't let you cancel and redeposit the miles unless you do so four days before departure? I don't know of any airline that won't allow you to cancel FF tickets right up to the time of the flight. Of course, most of them will charge you a fee to do so, but you still don't lose your miles.

OP - what airline is that that won't let you cancel and redeposit the miles unless you do so four days before departure? I don't know of any airline ...

I'm guessing Delta. They changed their terms recently because elites were booking first class seats and then canceling those seats (canceling for free, since they were elite) _right_ before the flight departed... resulting in Delta having an empty First class seat... which was then given to that same elite pax since there was no longer time for Delta to sell it.

So I think all Delta FF tickets now do not allow for any changes (at all, free or not free) within 72 hours of a flight.

It is delta. I found this ridiculous policy from their website.

When do I have to cancel an Award booking in order to redeposit my miles?

Effective for tickets booked on or after August 15, 2011, members must request an Award Ticket cancellation at least 72 hours prior to the originating flight departure time in order to redeposit miles. The Award Ticket redeposit fee of $150 USD remains the same. For changes and cancellations made at least 72 hours prior to departure, Diamond and Platinum Medallion members will continue to receive a fee waiver. Miles redeemed for Award Tickets are nonrefundable for flights canceled within 72 hours of the original flight departure time.

In my conclusion, I have to add just taxes/fees I paid to Delta toward my travel expense.

Thanks for your replies, though.

There are some trip cancellation plans that will reimburse you the frequent flier re-deposit fee is paid when your claim is for a covered reason. You must have covered the entire cost of the Trip including the taxes paid.

Steve Dasseos

I think OP's problem is that DL will not allow him to cancel his trip if it's within 72 hours of departure. There is no redeposit fee, as you then are not allowed to redeposit the miles; you forfeit them and the ticket.

His question appears to be are these tickets insurable? Except for the fees/taxes, I would guess not, as mileage tickets are not considered to have any $ value.

I think OP's problem is that DL will not allow him to cancel his trip if it's within 72 hours of departure. There is no redeposit fee, as you then are not allowed to redeposit the miles; you forfeit them and the ticket.

His question appears to be are these tickets insurable? Except for the fees/taxes, I would guess not, as mileage tickets are not considered to have any $ value.

Hi 6rugrats,

I see I mis-read his post meaning I gave him information that is totally worthless to him in his situation. Sorry about that!

You are correct: His tickets are uninsurable because the value is counted as $0.

Do you think DL forces the traveler to forfeit their miles if they cancel less than 72 hours before departure? Or do you think they'd let them pay the change fee to re-use the tickets within a year?

Steve Dasseos

Hi 6rugrats,

I see I mis-read his post meaning I gave him information that is totally worthless to him in his situation. Sorry about that!

You are correct: His tickets are uninsurable because the value is counted as $0.

Do you think DL forces the traveler to forfeit their miles if they cancel less than 72 hours before departure? Or do you think they'd let them pay the change fee to re-use the tickets within a year?

Steve Dasseos

I think the miles are forfeited. And, this policy apparently was a result of people trying to work the system, as explained in outerspaceguy's post. From DL's webpage:

Unused Award Tickets may be surrendered to Delta at least 72 hours prior to the original flight departure time for cancellation of the ticket and redeposit of miles into the Member's account. Fees apply. Please visit delta.com/fees for our current fee schedule. Miles redeemed for Award Tickets not cancelled at least 72 hours prior to original flight departure time are nonrefundable. Taxes and fees are refundable upon request.

Archived