Royal IQ

What do folks think? Use the app and text people, or stick to walkie talkies?[emoji1]

I used a similar program on a disney cruise last month and the texting feature was fantastic. DH and I are usually joined at the hip but we did do some different activities and it was nice to be able to text each other about where we were and when we'd be back. We also had some friends onboard and it was great to be able to text them rather than call their stateroom and risk waking them up or bothering them.

If they had the dang program for android phones, I'd use the text feature in a heartbeat on my upcoming quantum cruise, even if it required payment (I read somewhere on here it would be $12 or so per device per cruise to text).

I've never used walkie talkies onboard, but i imagine the reception isn't the greatest.

What do folks think? Use the app and text people, or stick to walkie talkies?[emoji1]

On board now.. Major IT issues and IQ was not working for most passengers or ship supplied tablets at various venues around the ship. Rather disappointing so far. The app is just a way to view/book reservations and see your charge account. You CANNOT view the compass in the app even though the compass says you can.. Guest services acknowledged this oversight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

App is nice but consumes a lot of WIFI hours. Using it IS NOT FREE. So it depends on your internet hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Using it is free, you don't need to pay a package, you just have to be connected to the wifi

App is nice but consumes a lot of WIFI hours. Using it IS NOT FREE. So it depends on your internet hours.

No, it doesn't. You can connect to Royal Wifi to use the app and it's free. When I didn't have an Internet package on Quantum it let me and others use it just fine.

Edited by jmrothermel

My TA sent an email yesterday that royal iq is available for Android. I haven't tried to get it yet but thought I would post.

I've searched in the Google Play Store for this app, but can't find it. Did your TA send a link or something?

TIA,

KC

Since Oasis now has O3b (I think that's the name of the Internet interface) will Royal IQ work for texting? I know it can't track luggage etc. What about My Calendar?

Any addition/modification of the Internet connection on the ship has no affect on any apps available. RCI could provide Royal IQ on Oasis at any time with as many features as they want, regardless of the specifics of the ship's Internet connection. I'm guessing they'll roll it out in conjunction with DD on Oasis in March.

I spoke to a tech on the Quantum last month who said it should be available for Android in early December. Hopefully someone will post here when they actually get the app, to let us all know.

As has been pointed out by some, availability and functionality are two different things. I'm sure the Android version will work the same as the iOS version - the issue is how well (or poorly in some cases) it works.:cool:

If you only want to know if the app is available, you can just look in the Play store at any time.

The most important feature for ME would be the ability to text on my own phone using the ships internet. I'm guessing if two individuals were on wifi and had iPhones that imessage would work regardless of whether they had Royal IQ. But that would require an unlimited package for each person. The description of Royal IQ says texting has a nominal charge. Does anyone know how "nominal"?

The most important feature for ME would be the ability to text on my own phone using the ships internet. I'm guessing if two individuals were on wifi and had iPhones that imessage would work regardless of whether they had Royal IQ. But that would require an unlimited package for each person. The description of Royal IQ says texting has a nominal charge. Does anyone know how "nominal"?

I've seen reports of $12 - $14. That's one charge for the whole cruise. It's per device, though - so if you and your cabinmate wanted to text each other's phones, you have to pay twice, once for each of your phones.

DH and I used a similar feature on the disney cruise app and it was great for keeping in touch. Of course, on disney it was free, and available for android. :rolleyes: