Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

New webcam! -

http://www.partridge.it/Axis%202400.htm

Lots of people fighting at the camera controls at the moment, so it's all over the place but got a couple of glimpses of CC, she appeared to have a large section of removed structure placed on top of her forward area.

I found it a couple of days ago but it is impossible to do fine panning and zooming with it. A single click on one control makes the camera jump a lot unlike the prior PTZ camera which now is not working which allowed very fine movements and even had preset locations you could select. The Concordia was preset #6.

I found it a couple of days ago but it is impossible to do fine panning and zooming with it. A single click on one control makes the camera jump a lot unlike the prior PTZ camera which now is not working which allowed very fine movements and even had preset locations you could select. The Concordia was preset #6.

Yes, it's difficult to manoeuvre around in small movements.

I couldn't get the previous 'PTZ' camera to load onto my PC so this one is still a better option, not seen CC for quite a few weeks.

I'm just wondering if the large structure I thought I saw on her bow may in fact be one of the floating sponsons being moved around between CC and the keyside that she's moored to, ie directly behind her, difficult to tell, if I zoom right in I miss that section. Either way the floating meccano crane is doing something with it as I type.

I am pleased to confirm that CC is still afloat at the moment, so Cheng can relax for now!!

I have emailed the owner of the web site to check on the cameras. Lets see if he fixes the camera that is not working now.

Actually what appears to have been put in the bow section has been there all the time. Look at my post from Apr-8 with the screen shots and you will see that the port side sponson (think it is P2) shows and also a portion of decks 3 and 4 that are yet to be removed.

Edit. Looks like the P2 sponson is gone.

Edited by luisrp

I was able to figure out a way to at least by trial and error get more precise views of the wreck from the only webcam that is working at this time. By zooming in and then moving the camera left and right it will always overshoot a little bit when moving back and by doing this a few times I am able to gradually pan about the wreck. This image is of the bow section showing the area where some parts were supposedly placed. They are actually parts of decks 3 and 4 plus the external sheet metal of deck 5. The port side sponson is gone as I said before and notice how the corners of the blister tanks are higher than the wreck in general. Nearly all of deck 3 is gone.

Project3_4.jpg

Looking at the lower row of portholes (just visible between the blister tank and the crane) and down to the current waterline, and comparing with operational photos, I'd say the waterline is around the bottom of the side ports and above the tender ports. I'd say she's still a 2-3 meters deeper than normal.

When you look further aft it can be seen that the wreck seems to be floating at the deck A level. Deck 0 is fully out of the water. It is hard to tell if it is still under the normal float level from the camera view. The row of small port holes are actually the deck 2 picture windows. The deck below has big gaping holes where there used to be another row of picture windows. Guess that is where the demolition crew is taking out the materials being stripped from the wreck. From pictures prior to the accident and from similar Costa and Carnival ships, decks 0 and A have small portholes which would not be visible from this camera view. They are obstructed anyway.

Deck 0 is the loading deck and where most of the cold storage and service areas are located. Deck A has crew living areas and some mechanical things. Decks B and below are mostly mechanical areas. At least that is what I saw during a tour on Carnival Magic which is a similar ship but bigger.

When you look further aft it can be seen that the wreck seems to be floating at the deck A level. Deck 0 is fully out of the water. It is hard to tell if it is still under the normal float level from the camera view. The row of small port holes are actually the deck 2 picture windows. The deck below has big gaping holes where there used to be another row of picture windows. Guess that is where the demolition crew is taking out the materials being stripped from the wreck. From pictures prior to the accident and from similar Costa and Carnival ships, decks 0 and A have small portholes which would not be visible from this camera view. They are obstructed anyway.

Deck 0 is the loading deck and where most of the cold storage and service areas are located. Deck A has crew living areas and some mechanical things. Decks B and below are mostly mechanical areas. At least that is what I saw during a tour on Carnival Magic which is a similar ship but bigger.

Ah, yes, what I took for portholes were the larger windows with the dividers, giving the impression at a distance of two closely spaced portholes, but looking again at an in service photo, I see there aren't any of those.

What you call deck 0 is where I see the line of portholes and the 6-7 loading side ports (large doors). I'm not patient enough to move the damn camera around to see aft. The deck below that, deck A, from your description is where the tender side ports are, and the normal waterline is about 1-2 meters below this deck, so around deck B. From that, it appears that Concordia is still very deep in the water, and they can not have done much dewatering yet, unless they don't want the tall caissons to be up so much that the cranes can't reach over them now.

When I did the tour on Carnival Magic I visited the crew mess in deck A and the water line was very close to the port holes in there. It was a very peculiar feeling being so close to the water (like you are in any small craft) in such a huge ship. Not sure if deck A is normally entirely out of the water. Perhaps if I hunt down in Carnival cruise pictures I could tell. The big holes are on deck 1 which is the lowest deck with guest cabins.

Ok, just found a very very good facsimile. I found a picture I took in Venice of Costa Favolosa (a Concordia class vessel) while I was leaving for the city in a water taxi.

The name COSTA FAVOLOSA is at deck 5. The life boats are at deck 4, the open deck below them is deck 3. Top row of picture windows is deck 2, bottom row is deck 1. Port holes are in deck 0 (loading dock) and the open tender door is on deck A. From this picture my best estimate is that deck A is still partly underwater.

IMG_0242%20Custom.jpg

Edited by luisrp

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, indeed! And they have now torn open decks 2 and 1. The external sheet metal in the section forward of the sponsons is gone. Not able to tell exactly due to the lower resolution and smaller zoom of this camera but I think they did not just remove the external sheet metal but actually took out sections of both decks too.

Micoperi Trenta / 30 is now back at Giglio Island along with a few tugboats.

I guess the Islanders won't be overly amused about that with the summer season starting.

Wondering what there is left for her to lift, unless they are just using her accommodation facilities?

http://www.giglionews.it/2010/02/24/webcam-lavori-rimozione-costa-concordia-parbuckling/

Found these two news articles from an Italian web site. They are in Italian of course but there are videos and photogalleries in both that don't require being able to read Italian.

This was from January 14, 2016 about the fourth anniversary of the accident and the progress of the demolition to that date.

http://www.genova24.it/2016/01/tutti-i-numeri-della-concordia-a-quattro-anni-dal-naufragio-al-giglio-101700/

This one is from May 16, 2016 showing the progress of the demolition just a few days ago and looking at the aft section which we cannot see from the webcams due to obstructions or camera panning limits.

http://www.genova24.it/2016/05/concordia-ecco-quel-che-resta-dellammiraglia-costa-108137/

The second one briefly covers the next phase which is the removal of the sponsons and relocation to a dry dock for final demolition. This will take place during the summer.

No mention of whether the "blister" tank has been removed, but it would appear that the forward 25% of the ship is self-buoyant, and this must come as a disappointment for a certain party.

The blister tank is plainly visible in the Partridge webcam. They changed the camera yet again twice this week. They now have a new PTZ camera but does not zoom as much as the prior one. Requires downloading a plugin though. Anyhow, most of the blister tank is above water now but still in place. In fact, the top apex in both sides are now higher than the wreck since they took down deck 3. Look back at the last screen captures I posted where blister tanks are visible.

From the current camera at the Partrigde.it site.

Project2_6.jpg

Note how much of decks 2 and 1 in the section between the blister tank and sponson S4 has been removed and you can actually see the inner side of the port side sponsons through what is left of deck 2.

Also notice from the discolored part of the starboard sponsons how much they have emerged from the weight removed.

Edited by luisrp

From the current camera at the Partrigde.it site.

Project2_6.jpg

Note how much of decks 2 and 1 in the section between the blister tank and sponson S4 has been removed and you can actually see the inner side of the port side sponsons through what is left of deck 2.

Also notice from the discolored part of the starboard sponsons how much they have emerged from the weight removed.

Good time lapse video of Concordia being dismantled up to date:

Thanks Luisrp for the recent webcam shots, please keep on posting them, I can't get the camera to work (again)!

Good time lapse video of Concordia being dismantled up to date:

Thanks Luisrp for the recent webcam shots, please keep on posting them, I can't get the camera to work (again)!

Thanks for the video link. Yes, the cam is gone again and the main page wants a password for their cams.

Looks like her final move to drydock will be here soon.

I've been following this thread for a while and last Sunday we sailed past the Concordia on our way out of Genoa on the Emerald Princess, I hope you find the pictures below of interest. It was quite an eerie feeling seeing her in the flesh.

cc1.JPG

cc2.JPG

cc3.JPG

cc4.JPG

Amazing pictures! This is the side we don't see from the webcam and also amazing detail. See how the top of most of the sponsons are already above what's left of the wreck. It is mostly unrecognizable now.

The video was interesting to watch. Somenoe mocked the idea of using a floating crane... guess what... the floating crane has done nearly all of the lifting of the big parts.

About the webcam, the password is shown in the link on the main page at the Partridge.it site. The user name is "guest" and the password is "genoa". Does not have the best resolution but so far it has been the best camera that has been put there by the site owner because it can zoom in quite close and has the best controls of all cameras there. Also has nearly continuous streaming and the delay is in the order of 10 seconds or less.