Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

• 2 weeks later...

The Partridge web site has a new working camera which we can control remotely but I have had mixed results with it. It is hard to control and requires downloading a plugin which even though appears to be safe (from the camera manufacturer) it brings about quite a few security warnings because it is not "signed" and the published cannot be identified. In some browsers the warnings will not allow the camera to work at all. My system is Windows 7 and have not been able to make it work under any browser. However, I have a Windows 10 virtual machine where it works in Internet Explorer 11. Not working under Firefox or Edge.

This is the link: http://www.partridge.it/Dahua.htm

The plugin needs to be downloaded only once. The camera controls at the right side allow for full PTZ functionality but it takes a long time to respond and if you change the speed to 1 (Velocità) it is easier to control. There are a number of preset positions set by the web site owner and preset #6 is the Costa Concordia at almost maximum zoom. To change the preset look below the PTZ controls the dropdown list under "Funzione PTZ"and select preset. Then enter "6" and click on the "Go to" button.

Here are two captures from that camera. They have removed all the forward starboard sponsons and the blister tank is in full view. The demolition appears to be now at the deck 3 level except in the very back where the tall sponsons are found, there are still portions or upper decks up to deck 6. Deck 1 appears to be fully out of the water (big holes midship) which means that deck 0 is likely above water too. Quite a few changes since the old camera stopped working. The mobile crane that was located in the bow section is gone.

Screenshot%208.png

Screenshot%209.png

Edited by luisrp

Do you think they will remove the bow section before she goes into dry dock

Probably not. There is some structural cracking there, and the blister tanks sort of tie everything together. The blister tank is no wider than the hull, so it can stay on when going to drydock.

Any idea when it will move to dry dock

No clue. I haven't been to the recycling website in ages. When the sponsons are all gone, then they'll move her.

Of course, if "he who shall remain nameless" is right, the bow will fall off, and she will sink right there. :rolleyes: Sorry, guys, couldn't resist that one.

He still predicts that the project will fail, that it will be impossible to remove all the sponsons and bring it to drydock, so sinking is the only option. With his track record, all my bets are that they will pull all this safely to completion. The only part he has been right is about timing but what the heck, this is Italy. They don't care but the project WILL be completed.

Finally found time to post the underwater photos of the breaks in Concordia`s hull.

Thanks for posting Sidari, very interesting!

Also thanks to Luisrp for posting the screen shots using the new camera. Unfortunately I can't get the new camera to work on Google Chrome, tried many times to download the plug-in but nothing happens after that. Also found that the non-zoom camera Axis 211M has stopped responding using the left/right controls, so not seen CC for some time now.......

If you are able to post a couple of updated screen shots I'd be grateful!

CTH

(In fact the only camera I can see in action is the Partridge Nasa 2 live shot from the International Space Station, can't see CC from that though!)

Edited by CTH

Has anything been happening lately on the CC. It doesn't look like they have taken any pieces off. I'm using the 211 cam so i can't see up close but keep watching to see if i can catch a crane lift while i'm watching.

Thanks for all the pictures please keep them coming.

The floating crane has gone missing for a few days but I did catch a glimpse of a big piece from the aft portion possibly decks 5 and 6. It was the part where the structures on top of sponson S18 (the one that almost fell and had to be removed for repairs) used to be which in fact, most of the things there have been removed too. I also noticed that the bow section is missing the top portion corresponding the deck 4. Other than this not much is visible since the remains are now at about the same level as the sponsons. I believe it is at or near its design flotation level.

website "update"

April 8, 2016

Concordia dismantling and recycling operations are quickly progressing and the deck 0 has re-emerged over the past weeks.

About 200 technicians are now working on the wreck and cutting decks – from 5 to 3 – while strip out operations continue to remove internal fitting, with work about to be completed on deck 2 and 1.

As the weight of the wreck becomes lighter, it has been possible to remove 6 sponsons so far (S1, S2, S3, P1 and P3). Simultaneously operations are in progress to restore autonomous buoyancy to the hull so to allow to remove all the sponsons and then to transfer the wreck to dry dock where the final demolition will take place.

http://shiprecycling.it/stato-avanzamento-lavori-al-6-aprile-2016/

We knew most of that already. :D From the new webcam it is easy to figure out that deck 0 is out of the water already. I think that it is at or near its normal flotation level. Perhaps deck A is still flooded, perhaps not. Almost all of decks 3, 4 and 5 is gone.

Here are some captures from yesterday.

The floating crane is getting ready to do a lift. I thought it would be the sponson structure that are still left and appear to be in front of the crane.

Project1_4.jpg

Later in the day I took another look and they had already lifted a big chunk from decks 3 and 4 (the last recognizable part from the webcam angle).

Project3_3.jpg

The bow is also being demolished. The part at the deck 4 level (the rail of the open deck) is missing. It is getting harder to recognize. Look near the center of the picture.

Project2_5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

luisrp, those are some nice shots of what's left of Concordia. Thanks for sharing.

Sidari, thanks for the underwater shots.

I'm not posting here much but I am still following this thread. Appreciate everyone's contributions.

Edited by SomeBeach

A few days ago I noticed that the Partridge web site changed the image for the webcam from HD (1920x1080) to small lower resolution image. It is still good enough but doesn't have the same quality anymore and when I go full screen it gets stretched in my widescreen monitor. Anyhow, there little to see lately since they appear to be dismantling deck 3 now.

Anyhow, I took a peek a while ago and captured by chance cruise ship MSC Orchestra which is about the same size Costa Concordia was. The wreck is at about the same level as the long row of small windows under the life boats of MSC Orchestra. The apparent higher elevation of the MSC is due to the high elevation of the camera relative to both ships. Still it shows how much of Costa Concordia is gone.

Project1_5.jpg

Luisrp ... Concordia was registered as 114,000 Gross tons while MSC Orchestra is around 92,000 RGT but is slightly longer than Concordia was.

Travelled from Venice to Dubai on Orchestra in December 2014.

Luisrp ... Concordia was registered as 114,000 Gross tons while MSC Orchestra is around 92,000 RGT but is slightly longer than Concordia was.

Travelled from Venice to Dubai on Orchestra in December 2014.

Thanks for the information. Didn't know the Concordia had much larger tonnage. I was basing mostly on actual hull size in the comparison. This means that the Concordia class ships are still among the largest cruise ships ever built.

Thanks for the information. Didn't know the Concordia had much larger tonnage. I was basing mostly on actual hull size in the comparison. This means that the Concordia class ships are still among the largest cruise ships ever built.

The Concordia's sisters currently rank 43rd-46th (with Harmony included) in gross tonnage for cruise ships.

New webcam! -

http://www.partridge.it/Axis%202400.htm

Lots of people fighting at the camera controls at the moment, so it's all over the place but got a couple of glimpses of CC, she appeared to have a large section of removed structure placed on top of her forward area.

Wait! Won't that added weight cause the bow to fall off and the ship to sink at the dock? I have that on good authority. :)