Rhodes Excursions

soxfanlovecruises

I would post this on the Ports of Call forum found on the main page. You will find all sorts of informaition about each of your ports of call.

Also join your roll call. It is there you will find other passengers arranging private tours that you can join at different ports of call.

I have done a combination of ship tours, private tours and DIY on Med cruises.

It is up to you based on what interests you in each port.

Rhodes is a easy DIY port. Read up on the old city and then explore its winding streets, crusader museum, shops and cafes.

We took a trip to Lindos by local bus on our second visit. Great little Gr town with a acropolis overlooking the town.

Have a great cruise. The Med is my favorite place to cruise.

Rhodes is a easy DIY port. Read up on the old city and then explore its winding streets, crusader museum, shops and cafes.

We took a trip to Lindos by local bus on our second visit. Great little Gr town with a acropolis overlooking the town.

Have a great cruise. The Med is my favorite place to cruise.

I am looking at going to St. Paul's Bay in Lindos while on a port stop in Rhodes. How easy was it to get to the bus station from the pier? How long was the ride and was it easy to get back to the ship again? We will be there in June. Had thought to take a cab but it's prob a lot cheaper to go by local bus?

Thanks,

Cathy

I am looking at going to St. Paul's Bay in Lindos while on a port stop in Rhodes. How easy was it to get to the bus station from the pier? How long was the ride and was it easy to get back to the ship again? We will be there in June. Had thought to take a cab but it's prob a lot cheaper to go by local bus?

Thanks,

Cathy

Lindos is about 50 kilometers south of Rhodes, St. Paul's Bay close to the ancient acropolis of Lindos (https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=Nepoznata+cesta&hl=hr&ll=36.088818,28.090754&spn=0.017756,0.037165&sll=36.395309,28.22731&sspn=0.282987,0.594635&geocode=FYagJgId5pOsAQ&dirflg=w&mra=mr&t=m&z=15 ) . Public bus from Rhodes to Lindos, in the morning there runs a bus every half hour from Rhodes to Lindos. In the afternoon, the frequency is somewhat lower with 1 bus per hour. Along the route, the bus makes several stops at beach resorts. The travel time somewhat depends on the number of people getting on and off the bus. Expect 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes. The ticket costs € 5 per person (one way). The center of Lindos is pedestrianized. Buses (including tour buses of the cruise lines) have to park at Kranas Square. This is about 20 minutes walk from the city center at the foot of the hill. The first part of the road is downhill. The only way to get to the highest point of the city is on foot or on the back of a donkey. You can consult the bus timetable in advance. From Kranas Square you can take a shuttle bus to the foot of the hill for € 0.5 per person (one way). For a taxi you pay € 4 per taxi (4 persons one way). Rhodes bus terminal is located on Rimini Square (https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Averof%2F%CE%91%CE%B2%CE%AD%CF%81%CF%89%CF%86&hl=hr&ie=UTF8&ll=36.448593,28.2254&spn=0.008837,0.018582&sll=36.445521,28.227417&sspn=0.008838,0.018582&geocode=FbomLAIdnqyuAQ&dirflg=w&mra=mr&t=m&z=16 ) outside the city walls opposite the Tourist Office. The fastest way to get there is by taxi (€ 10, 4 persons, one way). You can also walk there. If you leave the dock, go right and stay on the waterfront. Enter the Old Town through the Arsenal Gate and leave it again via the Gate of Freedom. Now go left and left again. It will take about 15-20 minutes.

I hope that helps

Edited by mbeginner

Thanks,

Cathy

http://www.ktelrodou.gr/en/

A taxi ride takes just an hour and count on € 60 per taxi (4 persons one way).

Edited by mbeginner

http://www.ktelrodou.gr/en/

A taxi ride takes just an hour and count on € 60 per taxi (4 persons one way).

Thanks for the link to the schedule...looks like the times listed are for the winter season, I'm hoping they'll have more frequent buses for the summer season? I'll check again in May and see if the site's been updated! Cabs sound expensive compared to the bus and we've never been there so we'd get a bit of a tour with the bus as well lol!

Cathy

Lindos is about 50 kilometers south of Rhodes, St. Paul's Bay close to the ancient acropolis of Lindos (https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=Nepoznata+cesta&hl=hr&ll=36.088818,28.090754&spn=0.017756,0.037165&sll=36.395309,28.22731&sspn=0.282987,0.594635&geocode=FYagJgId5pOsAQ&dirflg=w&mra=mr&t=m&z=15 ) . Public bus from Rhodes to Lindos, in the morning there runs a bus every half hour from Rhodes to Lindos. In the afternoon, the frequency is somewhat lower with 1 bus per hour. Along the route, the bus makes several stops at beach resorts. The travel time somewhat depends on the number of people getting on and off the bus. Expect 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes. The ticket costs € 5 per person (one way). The center of Lindos is pedestrianized. Buses (including tour buses of the cruise lines) have to park at Kranas Square. This is about 20 minutes walk from the city center at the foot of the hill. The first part of the road is downhill. The only way to get to the highest point of the city is on foot or on the back of a donkey. You can consult the bus timetable in advance. From Kranas Square you can take a shuttle bus to the foot of the hill for € 0.5 per person (one way). For a taxi you pay € 4 per taxi (4 persons one way). Rhodes bus terminal is located on Rimini Square (https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Averof%2F%CE%91%CE%B2%CE%AD%CF%81%CF%89%CF%86&hl=hr&ie=UTF8&ll=36.448593,28.2254&spn=0.008837,0.018582&sll=36.445521,28.227417&sspn=0.008838,0.018582&geocode=FbomLAIdnqyuAQ&dirflg=w&mra=mr&t=m&z=16 ) outside the city walls opposite the Tourist Office. The fastest way to get there is by taxi (€ 10, 4 persons, one way). You can also walk there. If you leave the dock, go right and stay on the waterfront. Enter the Old Town through the Arsenal Gate and leave it again via the Gate of Freedom. Now go left and left again. It will take about 15-20 minutes.

I hope that helps

Very helpful...thanks so much, def sounds doable...I'll have to check the bus sched in May, since the one on their website only goes up to the end of March. I'm hoping they'll add a few more frequent buses for the busier summer season.

Cathy

We're going to be there in Oct. I've received quotes to rent a car for about 35 Euro, including taxes, mileage and insurance. Car delivered to/dropped off at port. Other reviews on CC have said it is easy island to drive. Anyone have experience with this?

Car is not needed, the only things to see are Fira and Oia and the main archeological site. The rest is just barren with some beaches.

The former, you arrive at the first the second is a ten minute bus ride and the latter a twenty minute bus ride.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Car is not needed, the only things to see are Fira and Oia and the main archeological site. The rest is just barren with some beaches.

The former, you arrive at the first the second is a ten minute bus ride and the latter a twenty minute bus ride.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This thread is about Rhodes, not Santorini.

Lindos is about 50 kilometers south of Rhodes, St. Paul's Bay close to the ancient acropolis of Lindos (https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=Nepoznata+cesta&hl=hr&ll=36.088818,28.090754&spn=0.017756,0.037165&sll=36.395309,28.22731&sspn=0.282987,0.594635&geocode=FYagJgId5pOsAQ&dirflg=w&mra=mr&t=m&z=15 ) . Public bus from Rhodes to Lindos, in the morning there runs a bus every half hour from Rhodes to Lindos. In the afternoon, the frequency is somewhat lower with 1 bus per hour. Along the route, the bus makes several stops at beach resorts. The travel time somewhat depends on the number of people getting on and off the bus. Expect 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes. The ticket costs € 5 per person (one way).

We visited Rhodes and did the bus ride to Lindos. It was a nice ride and as I recall, even air conditioned. We got back in plenty of time; I think we took the 3 pm bus. We were there in late Sept. Very hot, approx. 90 degrees and took the donkey to the top of the ruins. When we returned via bus, did short walk around Old Town. Not quite enough time to do both Old walled city & Lindos. No time for the palace visit (inside tour), but we enjoyed our day and it was cheap! In retrospect, I was "ruined out" after having visited Athens, Pompeii, Pyramids, Ephesus and wished I had done a beach day here. The beaches looked wonderful!

We're going to be there in Oct. I've received quotes to rent a car for about 35 Euro, including taxes, mileage and insurance. Car delivered to/dropped off at port. Other reviews on CC have said it is easy island to drive. Anyone have experience with this?

Hi there,

We rented a car last October and had a wonderful time. I wrote about our experiences in my blog

http://www.pandbtraveladventures.blogspot.com

Click on the tab labeled as October 3 2013 on the left side of page.

Have fun on your cruise

• 3 weeks later...

Moviefan,

If you go to Rhodes more that once, then going to Lindos for the day makes sense. We went to Lindos the second time we visited Rhodes.

If this is your first itme, I would just walk aorund Rhodes old part and check out the museums and shops and cafes. Do some reserech about the history of the crusaders and you will have a wonderful day.

Edited by Azulann

The Guns of Navarone was filmed on Rhodes . The old town of Rhodes was used to shoot much of the film. The Acropolis at Lindos was the scene for a famous nightime segment where the British Sabateur Squad had their rendezvous with the local resistance .

Rhodes is a lovely village in a timewarp overshadowed by an acropolis in a much more complete and better state of repair than the one in Athens .

Rhodes is a lovely village in a timewarp overshadowed by an acropolis in a much more complete and better state of repair than the one in Athens .

"Repair" being the operative word, as a lot of it is a modern reconstruction (and not too well done, either...)