Where should we eat in Quincy Market?

canadarocks

On our ship's tour to Boston we will have two hours to purchase lunch on our own at Quincy Market in Faneuil Hall. It is our first time to Boston so somewhere historic, but also delicious would be great!

Where and what do you recommend we eat? :)

Take the 5 minute walk north to Hanover Street and hit up the Italian section known as the North End. Grab a bite at any of the restaurants along the street, my favorite is Dolce Vita, http://www.dolcevitaristorante.com/ on the right as you start down Hanover. Then, go across the street to Mikes Pastry and pick up dessert http://www.mikespastry.com/ .

In the Hall area, there is a mock Cheers that is good for Burgers, Hard Rock is a 2 minute walk, and there are tons of others right there as well (not to mention a food court that will suit any appetite and give you a wide selection of local favorites). Sea Food, many places but read the reviews or ask when you get there - many good selections.

There are sooooo many choices in the market it is amazing. You are bound to find something you will like. You certainly don't have a ton of time to go wander around if you are on the tour from Gloucester, I found the lunch time passed really quickly. I much preferred our stop directly in Boston (Eurodam 2009).

On our ship's tour to Boston we will have two hours to purchase lunch on our own at Quincy Market in Faneuil Hall. It is our first time to Boston so somewhere historic, but also delicious would be great!

Quincy Market features (briefly) at around 4.37 in this

There's so much choice your head will spin :)

All the best, Tony

There are sooooo many choices in the market it is amazing. You are bound to find something you will like. You certainly don't have a ton of time to go wander around if you are on the tour from Gloucester, I found the lunch time passed really quickly. I much preferred our stop directly in Boston (Eurodam 2009).

Quincy Market features (briefly) at around 4.37 in this
There's so much choice your head will spin :)

All the best, Tony

After discussing it with DH we've decided to save Boston for a road trip when we'll be able to spend more than just one day there. And based on both of your posts, that sounds like the best idea! ;)

I've been to Durgin park 3 times, and even though I recognize that it's overpriced (yes, I know that we're paying for the history and for the location) I've always had a good meal, and a good time.

My boss, a recent west coast transplant from Boston, SWEARS by their turkey dinner. I've always had prime rib in the past, but after hearing him rave about it I'm tempted to try it when I'm there next.

Last time we walked through Quincy Market in 2008, I didn't think I saw any place to sit down and eat. Did I miss it? We went outside and a traffic cop recommended a mexican place out and around from the market. My husband was relieved that we weren't doing fish and chips for the umpteenth time on vacation.

How far from where the cruise ships dock is Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall?

You might have missed my last post, but since we would have to take a ship's excursion to get to Boston (we actually dock in Gloucester which is an hour away), we've decided to forgo a trip there until we can spend enough time to fully appreciate it. :)

You might have missed my last post, but since we would have to take a ship's excursion to get to Boston (we actually dock in Gloucester which is an hour away), we've decided to forgo a trip there until we can spend enough time to fully appreciate it. :)

There's a very brief glimpse of a couple of beaches in Gloucester towards the end of this

All the best, Tony

There's a very brief glimpse of a couple of beaches in Gloucester towards the end of this

All the best, Tony

Hello Tony! Your videos are amazing (as I learned from our Baltic & Norway cruises last summer) and I look forward to researching any and all that apply to New England and Canada cruise in September.

And now that I know how many there are (I just quickly went to your Youtube site - WOW!!), I'll know to check your videos no matter where we go! :cool:

Thank you so much!! :D

Hello Tony! Your videos are amazing (as I learned from our Baltic & Norway cruises last summer) and I look forward to researching any and all that apply to New England and Canada cruise in September.

And now that I know how many there are (I just quickly went to your Youtube site - WOW!!), I'll know to check your videos no matter where we go! :cool:

Thank you so much!! :D

And thank you ! There will be one more called 'Boston - NOT The Freedom Trail' which I will try to do by the end of this month. I have just about finished last year's W Med cruise videos and next month set off on the next one (Venice, Istanbul etc) If I don't do them I quickly forget where I've been :)

And thank you ! There will be one more called 'Boston - NOT The Freedom Trail' which I will try to do by the end of this month. I have just about finished last year's W Med cruise videos and next month set off on the next one (Venice, Istanbul etc) If I don't do them I quickly forget where I've been :)

Well, you just keep traveling sir and I will be very happy to watch your videos and learn! :cool:

As mentioned, the ship does not stop in Boston, but in Gloucester, which is an hour or so away. If the ship were to dock right in Boston (like it did in 2009) it is about 10min on the shuttle to the market.

Last time we walked through Quincy Market in 2008, I didn't think I saw any place to sit down and eat. Did I miss it? We went outside and a traffic cop recommended a mexican place out and around from the market. My husband was relieved that we weren't doing fish and chips for the umpteenth time on vacation.

There is seating inside Quincy Market, but it is very limited and usually mobbed. I've been to the Mexican place (I think it's called Zuma) and it was very good and had $4 margaritas. No, it's not one of the typical Boston places that people always recommend, but those types of places are usually overcrowded and overpriced. And in Boston, you don't really have to go far to get off the beaten path.

There is seating inside Quincy Market, but it is very limited and usually mobbed. I've been to the Mexican place (I think it's called Zuma) and it was very good and had $4 margaritas. No, it's not one of the typical Boston places that people always recommend, but those types of places are usually overcrowded and overpriced. And in Boston, you don't really have to go far to get off the beaten path.

Yeah, it was Zuma's. It was good. There was a jewelry store above it that I enjoyed looking in. We also ate at Legal Seafood nearby and it was really good too. We are going on the same cruise again in October so we'll be coming to Boston again. Looking forward to it.

And this is the last one from Boston
- basically all I had left after making FT videos :)

Thanks again! They will be so helpful when we get to visit Boston!

Just to let you know, I recommended your videos over on the Holland America board. There was a posting about how helpful YouTube is, so I knew you definitely deserved some recognition! :D

Thanks again! They will be so helpful when we get to visit Boston!

Just to let you know, I recommended your videos over on the Holland America board. There was a posting about how helpful YouTube is, so I knew you definitely deserved some recognition! :D

Thanks, most kind.

• 1 month later...

JMHO, I live in Boston and wouldn't walk across the street for a free meal at Durgin Park! Food is horrible and the waitstaff strive to live up to their "reputation" as being smug and rude. Why go there?

Archived