Do we need a DSLR?

irishayes

We are going on a Med cruise in June, 2014 and are contemplating purchasing a DSLR camera. Hubby is skeptical about whether we need it.

I want great photos of this 13-night cruise. But I don't want to spend the $$ on a camera if we don't need it.

Currently we have a Canon PowerShot SX150is, 14.1 MP, 12x optical zoom. Seems to take good photos; however, the audio quality on the video camera is AWFUL. I don't know if it needs fixing, or if it is just not a great audio quality to begin with.

OK, let's hear opinions, please. and Thank you!!

Currently we have a Canon PowerShot SX150is, 14.1 MP, 12x optical zoom. Seems to take good photos; however, the audio quality on the video camera is AWFUL. I don't know if it needs fixing, or if it is just not a great audio quality to begin with.

I'd guess that audio quality is never good on the integrated microphone. You've got handling noises, wind, and an inability to "zoom" the mic to suit the scene.

If it was me I would either take the one you have or if it is an older model look at one of the new Suoerzooms.

I have a DSLR and a Panasonic DMC-FZ27 which is at least 5 years old and still works great. It will shoot RAW and JPEG files, has a nice zoom and is not to large. It is getting old and there are several newer models out there that are very nice and do very well with video.

On our Transatlantic crossing we did four extra days in Rome and it was nice to be able to keep the camera inside of my PacSafe bag when not taking pictures since it was not to large. Several of the Med stops are loaded with pick pockets and to me having my $3000.00 camera hanging off of me was to tempting to the thief's.

If you don't have a PacSafe bag I would highly recommend one. They are very secure with locking zippers, steel cables in the strap and a steel mesh lining so the bag cannot be sliced open while you are on a crowded bus or street. My wife got one that looked like a regular purse and I got a sling bag backpack type. Very easy to get into as it only has one strap and you slide it to your front to open.

Enjoy your trip it is a wonderful place, minus the pickpockets!

I am no camera expert but we switched from a camera similar to yours to a fairly inexpensive DSLR and there is definitely a significant difference in the quality of the pictures. The big difference is actually in focussing and exposure. While the DSLR lets you handle both of those things manually I have found that we are getting great pictures even on the smart auto setting with the new camera.

I bought a Canon T5i.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are you primarily wanting to take pictures, or are you primarily looking to shoot video? Or are you trying to mix the two in a single camera?

The SX150 is a couple of generations old at this point, but should be a perfectly good camera, and if you're happy with the pictures it takes, I wouldn't necessarily jump to a DSLR.

A DSLR will have a larger sensor than a P&S. It will generally perform better in lower light. It gives you the ability to change lenses and control exposure. With the right lenses, it can take very good video. But it can still suffer from a tiny little microphone located too close to the lens. And, to get a decent kit to do good video, you're looking in the $11-1200 range, in all probability. For instance, I currently see a kit with the Canon T5i and an 18-135 STM lens for around $1000. The camera and lens are optimized for video to a large extent, but I have no idea about the quality of the audio. That's roughly 10X the price of your SX150. But, it will take great pictures and is rated well for video.

Have you considered adding a palm sized or pocket sized video only system? Not something I've ever been into, but I see highly rated models from $150-250. That's at least an option to explore.

Along with the superzooms mentioned earlier, the other thing to explore are the mirrorless cameras coming on the market. Smaller and frequently less expensive than a DSLR, but generally with very good sensors and good to very good lens availability. But, not cheap...

No easy answer. A DSLR can be great if you want to take the time learn to use it and spend the money are lenses. Otherwise, remember the first rule of photography: the best camera is the one you have with you!

Start here...

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7118583476/dpreview-recommends-best-compact-cameras-for-travel?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

and compare to your existing Canon. Digital Photography Review is probably the best resource on the web for camera and lens reviews. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 (Lumix DMC-TZ40 in Europe) rates very highly, and most of the user reviews seem especially pleased with the video. There are also larger framed P&S cameras similar to your Canon in the review. Check out the reviews, go to a camera store, and see what you think. You've got time to buy a new camera and learn to use it before your cruise.

That particular review gives you an idea of the price of cameras in this space. He has a number of other buying guides on the page; this one is for travel cameras.

Good luck!

On our Med cruise last summer I packed a Canon 60D and a superzoom. I never took both ashore. If it was a port where I thought I needed extra zoom, I took the 35X. Otherwise, the DLSR. Both Canon and Sony make nice 50X cameras now.

Consider the Sony RX-10 bridge camera. Initial reviews are showing it to be a versatile camera with very good image quality and video capabilities that rival the best DSLRs out there. It is not cheap but its bang-for-the-buck value is impressive and can theoretically replace an entry-level DSLR and a bag of expensive lenses with comparable results.

Reviews:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/05/sony-rx10-review/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews/sony/rx10/

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/11/11/the-sony-rx10-review-one-amazing-superzoom/

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/reviews/compactcameras/129713/1/sony-cyber-shot-rx10-review.html

I own both a DSLR and Sony NEX cameras but if I were just moving up from a compact or didn't own the NEX and wanted a smaller travel kit, I would strongly consider the RX-10.

Dave

I am still of the opinion that if you want video - buy a video camera. I assign my wife to using our video camera while I use the DSLR for photos.

It is just so difficult to be constantly switching from photos to video - it is far easier to split up that task.

And video cameras still have one huge advantage - they don't overheat nearly as fast, and they can record more than 30 minutes.

Cameras on the other hand, those with a video function, are limited by the World Trade Organization/Information Technology Agreement to a record time of no more than 29 minutes 59 seconds. This is because video camera have an additional tariff, and you know how governments like their VATs.

So by international agreement, you cannot get more than 30 minutes out of a camera having a secondary function for video.

However, at this point, the limitation is moot as most cameras use the .MOV format, which is limited to 4Gb, or about 20 minutes of video. And as the camera sensors are optimized for photos, many cameras - especially compact cameras - tend to overheat and shut down way before then.

Some cameras will only operate in video mode for a few minutes before they shut down.

On the other hand, you can record as many 20 minute recordings you want, then stitch them together in post processing. But that is a lot of work if all you want to have is the proverbial home movie, and not have to create a Hollywood production.

But if you are looking for the utmost quality in a camera for photos - a DSLR is it. However, to get the most out of it, there is a learning curve you will have to go through... and to get satisfactory photos, you will likely want one or two additional lenses over the kit lens the camera comes with. Most entry level DSLRs come with a 18-55mm lens, and while this is good for a starter lens, the surprising thing for most new DSLR owners is this lens won't have the range of the compact camera the had.

You will get better photos out of a DSLR, but with less zoom range, unless you buy additional lenses. Higher quality, multiple lenses is more or less the idea behind an interchangeable lens camera.

So when considering a DSLR, consider the true cost of ownership - which usually includes additional lenses - which can be more expensive than the camera (for premium lenses). I usually recommend budgeting at least 4 times the cost of the DSLR for lenses.

Edited by awboater

We are going on a Med cruise in June, 2014 and are contemplating purchasing a DSLR camera. Hubby is skeptical about whether we need it.

I want great photos of this 13-night cruise. But I don't want to spend the $$ on a camera if we don't need it.

OK, let's hear opinions, please. and Thank you!!

A DSLR in and of itself will not resolve your audio issues. However if the DSLR (or your current camera) has an audio in port you can attach a mic (eg: Rode Video Mic GO - shotgun style) and that should help things.

I am still of the opinion that if you want video - buy a video camera. I assign my wife to using our video camera while I use the DSLR for photos.

It is just so difficult to be constantly switching from photos to video - it is far easier to split up that task.

And video cameras still have one huge advantage - they don't overheat nearly as fast, and they can record more than 30 minutes.

Cameras on the other hand, those with a video function, are limited by the World Trade Organization/Information Technology Agreement to a record time of no more than 29 minutes 59 seconds. This is because video camera have an additional tariff, and you know how governments like their VATs.

So by international agreement, you cannot get more than 30 minutes out of a camera having a secondary function for video.

However, at this point, the limitation is moot as most cameras use the .MOV format, which is limited to 4Gb, or about 20 minutes of video. And as the camera sensors are optimized for photos, many cameras - especially compact cameras - tend to overheat and shut down way before then.

Some cameras will only operate in video mode for a few minutes before they shut down.

On the other hand, you can record as many 20 minute recordings you want, then stitch them together in post processing. But that is a lot of work if all you want to have is the proverbial home movie, and not have to create a Hollywood production.

But if you are looking for the utmost quality in a camera for photos - a DSLR is it. However, to get the most out of it, there is a learning curve you will have to go through... and to get satisfactory photos, you will likely want one or two additional lenses over the kit lens the camera comes with. Most entry level DSLRs come with a 18-55mm lens, and while this is good for a starter lens, the surprising thing for most new DSLR owners is this lens won't have the range of the compact camera the had.

You will get better photos out of a DSLR, but with less zoom range, unless you buy additional lenses. Higher quality, multiple lenses is more or less the idea behind an interchangeable lens camera.

So when considering a DSLR, consider the true cost of ownership - which usually includes additional lenses - which can be more expensive than the camera (for premium lenses). I usually recommend budgeting at least 4 times the cost of the DSLR for lenses.

While not really the topic here if you want to shoot more than 30 minutes of DSLR video at a time try the Atomos Ninja (or a similar product).

Photographer matters more than the camera. If you are used to a point and shoot, you might have a learning curve and your DSLR pictures might not be better. A long zoom like the Lumix ZS30 (pocket size) or FZ60 (larger) might be an easier transition and more affordable. Are you willing to buy multiple lenses and switch them when needed?

My wife has a DSLR and I use a long zoom FZ-200. You can check out my pictures posted elsewhere on this board.