Spirit best of British Orkneys shorter stay

We had our e tickets today and noticed that we are now only visiting the Orkneys from 8:00 - 13:00. So disappointed as we had booked an independent tour and had to cancel it. As it is a tender stop that doesn't leave time to do much. That was the main reason why we booked the cruise! Jane

We noted the same problem and with it being a tender port decided to book a ships tour (even if they are pricey )

Our reason being, chances are they will tender people off first who are using Thomson excursions and if delayed the ship does wait for its own tours to get back onboard. (Time is very limited on this stop )

Should you decide to use a ships tour ,I advise to go to your local Thomson shop and pay for it there, as if they were to abandon the stop due to bad weather , you can go back to the shop and return the voucher and get your money back .

Some people have had problems claiming money back who booked online when they had their tour called off . Then spent a fortune ringing Thomson premium phone lines ,so better to keep your cash local .;)

Edited by kalos

We noted the same problem and with it being a tender port decided to book a ships tour (even if they are pricey )

Our reason being, chances are they will tender people off first who are using Thomson excursions and if delayed the ship does wait for its own tours to get back onboard. (Time is very limited on this stop )

Should you decide to use a ships tour ,I advise to go to your local Thomson shop and pay for it there, as if they were to abandon the stop due to bad weather , you can go back to the shop and return the voucher and get your money back .

Some people have had problems claiming money back who booked online when they had their tour called off . Then spent a fortune ringing Thomson premium phone lines ,so better to keep your cash local .;)

Also if you do follow Kalos' example of doing a Thomson excursion for this stop I'd book it asap since with the reduced time at this port others who like you had different plans may decide they won't now work and decide to book a ship's excursion. That will increase demand and you may find they book up very quickly.

Kalos

It was the ones who had booked instore that had had problems getting a refund - the ones who booked online had refunds paid directly to the account/card it was paid with. We have booked online previously & any that were cancelled were refunded the same day as the cancellation direct to my bank. I have also dealt with Shorex directly by email & they have always been very helpful. If you book via a Thomson shop, they are the ones who have to refund you as they are the third party to whom the money goes & Shorex will refund them directly rather than you.

Edited by Julessmiles

Kalos

It was the ones who had booked instore that had had problems getting a refund - the ones who booked online had refunds paid directly to the account/card it was paid with. We have booked online previously & any that were cancelled were refunded the same day as the cancellation direct to my bank. I have also dealt with Shorex directly by email & they have always been very helpful. If you book via a Thomson shop, they are the ones who have to refund you as they are the third party to whom the money goes & Shorex will refund them directly rather than you.

OOPS :o Ah well :D knew it was something like that but not to worry as that day I have booked nice weather (Just like the Fred Olsen ;))

and the tour will go ahead and I will get on one of the first tenders going .

Thanks for the correction Jules :)

I've booked on line as like you I thought they'd give preference to those booked on their excursions. Why they have shortened it -who knows!

don't think it has been shortned in dec brochure says 8.00-13.00 and sure it was that when my mum booked last august

VERA :O The Orkneys are fabulous! Kirkwall is lovely and the island tour was very interesting :)

If we go we have to visit Skara Brae, it's on hubbys 'list':), and to be honest the thought isn't filling me with a lot of enthusiasm. I know it's very uncultured of me:o, but at least I'm honest.:D