Aegean Delight and Adriatic Adventure on Thomson Majesty

Hi,

We are a family of 3 (daughter 10years) we travelling on the Thomson Majesty 10th - 27th October this year to the Eastern Med, it is also our first time on a cruise, could anyone advise me of any interesting excursions and prices that are worthwhile doing our stops are:

Mykonos town, kusadasi, Athens, monemvasia, katakolon, koper, venice, zadar, Dubrovnik, kotor.

Hope someone can help :-)

Barbara

Hi,

We are a family of 3 (daughter 10years) we travelling on the Thomson Majesty 10th - 27th October this year to the Eastern Med, it is also our first time on a cruise, could anyone advise me of any interesting excursions and prices that are worthwhile doing our stops are:

Mykonos town, kusadasi, Athens, monemvasia, katakolon, koper, venice, zadar, Dubrovnik, kotor.

Hope someone can help :-)

Barbara

Hello Barbara and welcome to the Forum and the world of cruising. :)

Mykonos is lovely - really quaint cobbled streets with some lovely designer jewellery and art shops as well as cafes etc. We just love wandering around - walk to the windmills and enjoy this pretty place. No need to do any excursion here unless you really want to.

You might tender here in which case the tender drop off is right in town at the harbour and very convenient. If you berth it's a good 20 minute walk round the waterfront to the harbour but it's not too good for walking because there's no pavement and a fair bit of traffic. Best to take the shuttle bus which will be provided to the centre although it may be payable - I can't remember if we had to buy tickets for it but worthwhile I'd say.

Kusadasi is the best port to visit Ephesus and it is quite spectacular. I imagine your daughter would be quite impressed if she's not seen anything like that before. (Well I was - it was so much bigger than I had expected and the library and amphitheatre are pretty impressive.) The half day trip was long enough for us and that will give you time to look around the bazaar in Kusadasi with its 'Genuine Fakes' when you get back. The town is just a walk-off from the port so if you do the excursion just get them to drop you off at the port gates (and decline the visit to the guide's uncle's carpet shop - waste of good bazaar/looking around time if you have no interest in buying a carpet!!) . I think your daughter might enjoy the bazaar!

Athens we love. Apparently there is a new express bus service X80 which goes from the port at Pireaus (you'll have to ask for instructions where it picks up but I understand it's just outside the port buildings somewhere). It goes half hourly from 7.30 costs 4€ return (bargain!) and drops off close to the Acropolis which of course is the thing to see in Athens.

If you are intending to go there and don't take a ship's trip (not necessary as it is easy to get into Athens independently) I'd recommend you would do well to set off as early as you can to beat the crowds and tours on the Acropolis. Wear shoes with good grip as the steps are quite slippy.

In the immediate vicinity of the Acropolis is the Agora and Monastiraki where there are tourist, local and flea markets. Plaka is the old part of town - great atmosphere and street cafes. So there's plenty to see. You don't need to wander far from the Acropolis but get a map to help you plot the most efficient route to make the most of your time.

Have confidence to do DIY as you can do exactly what you want and spend as much time as you want to at each attraction rather than going at a tour guide's pace. Sometimes it's a good idea to just take the organised excursion either because of time issues, the logistics of transport, distance or because you especially want a guide but often DiY works well and is of course very much cheaper.

Just one word of advice, if you do decide to do DIY set back in very good time - build in a big margin as you don't want to miss the ship - another good reason to set off early in the morning to make the most of the day.

Katakolon is almost literally a one street town but pretty and with a very attractive cafe lined waterfront. The place to go from here is Olympia - again very interesting indeed and definitely benefited from having a guide so perhaps an organised trip would be an idea here too. There is a little land train which goes to a pretty but rather rocky beach but it may be a bit late in the year for beaches.

Dubrovnik no need for a trip here either. Get a taxi from just outside the port for 10€ to Pile Gate the entrance to the old town and walk the walls. Again go early to beat the tours. Easy town to explore and wander round. There are boat trips too from the harbour at the opposite side of the town to Pile Gate. Taxis back just outside Pile Gate.

Koper is a pretty little place but we especially like Piran which has more of a buzz and a promenade walk and square with nice cafes (and chocolate shop!). You can get the bus there (about half an hour) spend a couple of hours looking round and get back in plenty of time. There is a tourist desk as you get off the ship. Ask them for a map and to show you where the bus stop is and a bus timetable for the Piran bus if you decide to do this excursion.

Venice is definitely a DiY port in my book. You can't go wrong as it's quite compact. You will get lost but not for long. All routes lead to St Marks, the Rialto or Accademia Bridge which are amongst the places to include on a sight seeing day. There are signs everywhere but again do get a map. But it's such fun meandering around the back routes and canals.

You can walk all the way in via Piazza Roma (follow the signs) or catch the vaporetto but check it's the one which goes down the Grand Canal which goes under the Rialto Bridge to St Marks. You get views from the Canal you can't otherwise get. Don't stop for drinks at the cafes on St Mark's Sq unless you want to spend a fortune but off the main drag look for an ice cream shop. They are the best!

Kotor is a beautiful sail in down the fjord - don't miss it. The town is a small walled town easy to walk off and explore. We once did the Montenegro Highlights tour which is very good but for a first visit a leisurely day in Kotor itself would do for me.

Haven't been to your other ports but I'm sure you'll love this itinerary - what a fabulous cruise for your first experience. Bet you come back buzzing - and looking for the next one! Enjoy. :)

Thank you so much kroozseeka your reply is very informative. Yes we are very excited about going especially now after all the info you've given us!!!! Thank you again. Feel free to share any other info you may have

😊

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a great itinerary, we have done most of the port visits, Kruzseeka sums them up very well, she should put her writing into print.

Katakolon really just a port to visit Olympia, we were a little disappointed with Olympia, perhaps our expectations too high, and there were just hundreds of people in a small site - fighting to see what was on offer, at least we can say we have seen the home of the Olympics.

Enjoy.

As a newbie (first timer) any tips would be very valuable we are in an outside plus cabin 3/4 do they have kettle in the room and can we take bottles of water on board for our room or is it just as cheap to get them on board? Questions questions questions.......

As a newbie (first timer) any tips would be very valuable we are in an outside plus cabin 3/4 do they have kettle in the room and can we take bottles of water on board for our room or is it just as cheap to get them on board? Questions questions questions.......

Don't know about the kettles but definitely cheaper to buy water off the ship (for use in your cabin, off the ship or possibly even around the ship on deck but you wouldn't take it to the table to drink in the dining room for example any more than a bottle of your own wine). And yes they do let you take it on board.

If you want some ideas - this is a good thread Jan started ages ago. It has lots of tips (although we do digress a little from time to time! :D ) but it may give you an insight which will be helpful. you'll need a bit of time to go through it though! ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1171965&highlight=5+things+i+wish

Don't know about the kettles but definitely cheaper to buy water off the ship (for use in your cabin, off the ship or possibly even around the ship on deck but you wouldn't take it to the table to drink in the dining room for example any more than a bottle of your own wine). And yes they do let you take it on board.

If you want some ideas - this is a good thread Jan started ages ago. It has lots of tips (although we do digress a little from time to time! :D ) but it may give you an insight which will be helpful. you'll need a bit of time to go through it though! ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1171965&highlight=5+things+i+wish

Thanks, Kruzseeka. One of the best posts on here and some lighthearted comments and advice. A classic! :)

Not much more to add as Kruz always does a good port report:D.

If you have already seen enough of Athens the Corinth canal trip is worth doing. Recommended by many on here and I agree.

Monemvasia is lovely, you can get the small shuttle bus that takes you over the causeway and bridge to the main old town entrance for I think? €1 each way. Or walk it, it's around 1KM.

It's a nice place and reminds me of Erice in Sicily, the upper old town is closed for renovation but you can walk up as far as the entrance for the view, it's one hell of a steep walk though, not one you would do in flip flops.

No Kettles this year on outside plus cabins, supposed to be next year.

They will serve glasses of water with meals and at the bars without charge, they just charge for bottles. The tap water is safe to drink, although some say it tastes a little strange, I have always found it OK.

BTW, you have picked one of the best itineraries, and don't forget to explore Corfu town on your changeover day.

You might like to have a look around my set of pictures to give you an idea of the ship and the places you will be visiting, look at the ones from last July as well as the latest set.

https://joeholiday2.shutterfly.com/pictures

We have not long been off the Majesty so any more info you need just holler.

Joe.