Question for Saint Greg!

okeytaco

Hi, Greg. I just read a long thread about pre-cruise hotels in New Orleans and you gave such great information about which hotels fit which description on Hotwire. The information is a year old so I'm hoping you might be able to help me currently. I'm looking at November 24 and 25th. One 4* French Quarter/Bourbon Street with a 90% approval rating says Free Internet, pet friendly, pools,Fitness center, business center, self service laundry. It's $176. Do you think this is the Monteleone? Another 4* has a 95% rating in the warehouse district for $131. Do you think this is the Hilton Riverside? I noticed it changed from Mississippi River to Warehouse on the other thread. My husband is an avid/rabid college football fan and we can't go anywhere from the end of August until Thanksgiving so he doesn't have to miss a single game and I get really itchy feet so this will be a welcome break from non-stop football! Thank you so much for your help. ~ Linda ~

Hi, Greg. I just read a long thread about pre-cruise hotels in New Orleans and you gave such great information about which hotels fit which description on Hotwire. The information is a year old so I'm hoping you might be able to help me currently. I'm looking at November 24 and 25th. One 4* French Quarter/Bourbon Street with a 90% approval rating says Free Internet, pet friendly, pools,Fitness center, business center, self service laundry. It's $176. Do you think this is the Monteleone? Another 4* has a 95% rating in the warehouse district for $131. Do you think this is the Hilton Riverside? I noticed it changed from Mississippi River to Warehouse on the other thread. My husband is an avid/rabid college football fan and we can't go anywhere from the end of August until Thanksgiving so he doesn't have to miss a single game and I get really itchy feet so this will be a welcome break from non-stop football! Thank you so much for your help. ~ Linda ~

That 4* Warehouse District is definitely NOT Hilton Riverside. Riverside has a 90% rating and Tennis Nearby as an amenity. It doesn't look like Riverside is currently on Hotwire for your nights. The 4* Warehouse District you're looking at should be Omni Riverfront.

I believe the French Quarter/Bourbon Street hotel you're looking at is Royal Sonesta. That one is on Bourbon Street.

Looking further...I think Hilton Riverside is available for your nights but it's back listed under French Quarter-Mississippi River...$145 4* 90% recommendation with "Tennis Nearby" as an amenity.

Without even looking at them I can tell you the 4* French Quarter/Bourbon Street with 80% recommendation is Astor Crowne Plaza and the 4* French Quarter Mississippi River with "Golf" as an amenity is Le Meridien.

Every time I check the Hilton Riverside for November 24 for 3 nights the price goes up! It's gone from $177 to $182. The one you think is the Omni Riverfront stays at $125.00. Have you stayed at the Omni? Does it have a river view? We'll be parking at the Fulton Street facility for 9 days and I've read where you say the Omni is the closest. But if it's not nearly as nice I'd rather pay the extra $57 a night and have a nice stay. It shows an 85% approval rating as compared with the Hilton's 90%. With carry-on luggage I think they are both walkable from Fulton Street. Thanks once again for giving your opinion. I see where you get the name "Saint Greg". I don't know about saving souls but you've sure saved a lot of folks a lot of money! ~ Linda ~

Edited by okeytaco

Every time I check the Hilton Riverside for November 24 for 3 nights the price goes up! It's gone from $177 to $182. The one you think is the Omni Riverfront stays at $125.00. Have you stayed at the Omni? Does it have a river view? We'll be parking at the Fulton Street facility for 9 days and I've read where you say the Omni is the closest. But if it's not nearly as nice I'd rather pay the extra $57 a night and have a nice stay. It shows an 85% approval rating as compared with the Hilton's 90%. With carry-on luggage I think they are both walkable from Fulton Street. Thanks once again for giving your opinion. I see where you get the name "Saint Greg". I don't know about saving souls but you've sure saved a lot of folks a lot of money! ~ Linda ~

3 nights? You said November 24th and 25th. Keep in mind the hotels can change especially if you change the dates! The Omni Riverfront has 95% recommendation and is available for $131 if you search with a check in of 11/24 and check out 11/26. If you change it to check in 11/24 and check out 11/27 the 4 star warehouse district hotel is $125 with an 80% recommendation and is NOT Omni Riverfront....It's The Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery

Hi, Greg, me again.:o Our cruise is 5 months away so I don't have to rush into booking a hotel. What has your experience been with Hotwire as far as hotel prices changing as the time gets shorter? Do you suppose I should wait at least a couple of months since I'm leaning toward the more expensive option - the Hilton Riverside?

Hi, Greg, me again.:o Our cruise is 5 months away so I don't have to rush into booking a hotel. What has your experience been with Hotwire as far as hotel prices changing as the time gets shorter? Do you suppose I should wait at least a couple of months since I'm leaning toward the more expensive option - the Hilton Riverside?

You really can't tell. I've seen them go down. I've seen them go up. I don't usually book this early unless I'm getting a good price...BUT I'm pretty flexible with hotels...as long as they're in the warehouse, french quarter, or downtown areas, I can make it work. If you're set on riverside...you may want to book it now...or keep an eye on it and book it soon. Just make sure the recommendation and amenities don't change between now and the time you book...you could end up with a different hotel.

You're right. We changed from a 5 day cruise to a 7 so we had to add a night in New Orleans. That's what changed the price because now I'm getting $159 for the 24th and 25th but when I use the 24th, 25th and 26th it goes up to $178.00. So as long as it's 4* French Quarter/Mississippi, River, 90% and tennis nearby it's most likely the Hilton Riverside. Thanks again!

THANK YOU SAINT GREG! We are cruising out of New Orleans in August and were booked at the Residence Inn Downtown/Convention Center. After a lot of reading on CC we learned we could walk to the Port from the Hilton Riverside and since there are 10 of us that makes a big difference! We have been watching the price go up on the Hilton when my daughter read some of your posts concerning Hotwire - she said "I'm telling you mom, this guy knows what he is talking about". Well we now have 3 rooms at the Hilton Riverside for $101 each courtesy of Hotwire and Saint Greg - THANK YOU!

You really can't tell. I've seen them go down. I've seen them go up. I don't usually book this early unless I'm getting a good price...BUT I'm pretty flexible with hotels...as long as they're in the warehouse, french quarter, or downtown areas, I can make it work. If you're set on riverside...you may want to book it now...or keep an eye on it and book it soon. Just make sure the recommendation and amenities don't change between now and the time you book...you could end up with a different hotel.

Hi Saint Greg!

We are going on Triumph last minute on July 23 so need a hotel on July 22. I've already booked Fulton Garage Parking for the term of the cruise.

I checked Hotwire and in the Warehouse District, there is 3* Hotel - all Suites for $140 - 90% recommended and another that is 4* Hotel 85% recommended for $155 another 3.5* for $149 95% recom.

What is your recommendation? We will be driving there from St. Louis.

Thanks!

Edited by tgnorton

Hi Saint Greg!

We are going on Triumph last minute on July 23 so need a hotel on July 22. I've already booked Fulton Garage Parking for the term of the cruise.

I checked Hotwire and in the Warehouse District, there is 3* Hotel - all Suites for $140 - 90% recommended and another that is 4* Hotel 85% recommended for $155 another 3.5* for $149 95% recom.

What is your recommendation? We will be driving there from St. Louis.

Thanks!

The 3* all-suites in the warehouse district is normally Staybridge Suites. However, Staybridge normally has "Suite" and/or "Kitchenette" as an amenity. Neither of those are listed this time. The only other 3* all-suites in the warehouse district with free breakfast I've seen on hotwire is the Hampton Inn & Suites...which would be perfect for you because it's 2 blocks from Fulton. I think it's either Hampton or something new to hotwire.

I believe your 4* is going to be the Old No. 77 Hotel and Chandlery and your 3.5* is going to be the Hotel Modern.

If it's me I'm probably going with the 3-star solid 90% rating. The 3.5 does have 95% but that's with only 5 hotwire reivews.

Edited by Saint Greg

The 3* all-suites in the warehouse district is normally Staybridge Suites. However, Staybridge normally has "Suite" and/or "Kitchenette" as an amenity. Neither of those are listed this time. The only other 3* all-suites in the warehouse district with free breakfast I've seen on hotwire is the Hampton Inn & Suites...which would be perfect for you because it's 2 blocks from Fulton. I think it's either Hampton or something new to hotwire.

I believe your 4* is going to be the Old No. 77 Hotel and Chandlery and your 3.5* is going to be the Hotel Modern.

If it's me I'm probably going with the 3-star solid 90% rating. The 3.5 does have 95% but that's with only 5 hotwire reivews.

Thanks, Greg! I started to think my husband might want to go down to French Quarter when we get there. Is there an easy way to get there or will we have to drive from Warehouse District? Sorry for the extra wrinkle...

Thanks, Greg! I started to think my husband might want to go down to French Quarter when we get there. Is there an easy way to get there or will we have to drive from Warehouse District? Sorry for the extra wrinkle...

I wouldn't drive. Then you have to pay to park. Street car would probably be the way to go depending on your hotel. You may have to walk a few blocks to a streetcar station. It's $1.25/person/ride or $3 for a day pass.

But if you're going to be driving...and going to the french quarter..you may even consider looking at french quarter hotels and just driving to Fulton in the morning. It wouldn't be but a mile or so drive to the garage in the morning. Most people who fly in limit themselves to warehouse district hotels because they have to be close to the port. You have a car.

I wouldn't drive. Then you have to pay to park. Street car would probably be the way to go depending on your hotel. You may have to walk a few blocks to a streetcar station. It's $1.25/person/ride or $3 for a day pass.

But if you're going to be driving...and going to the french quarter..you may even consider looking at french quarter hotels and just driving to Fulton in the morning. It wouldn't be but a mile or so drive to the garage in the morning. Most people who fly in limit themselves to warehouse district hotels because they have to be close to the port. You have a car.

Perfect advice - thanks so much! :D